In Common Matches Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Common Matches Question

I have been trying to make sense of the "in common" and "not in common" matches. What does this really tell you? When I tried an "in common" match with one person who is on the paternal side of my family, he matched up with others who I know are NOT on the paternal side of the family.

Does the "in common" match just tell you that someone is on the same chromosome, or matches somewhere on the same chromosome? Or does "in common" actually mean that the matches are related?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you.

It tells you that they have the same person in their match list but it does not tell you if they match on the same segments or not.

Comment

Thank you.

One more question. If I see who one of my matches has in common, then does it mean that all of those in common matches are related in someway to each other?

Comment

To find out if in common with matches are related to each other you can use the matrix tool (in the FF menu).

Comment

Thank you so much!

Comment

matrix

Hi, That thread was most helpful to me too, I have an instance where my son and a lady in the States has a connection ( IRISH one ) they have I C W TEN people, all barring one person, nine all fit in the FF Matrix ?!!!!!! We have found two family's like that before, but they shared a common surname, not so easy with nine people, and a couple do not communicate?!!! DNA is marvelous though. Julie.

Comment

Working...
            X