haplogroup R1b M343

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• haplogroup R1b M343

haplogroup R1b M343 what does this mean?i only did the national geo Genographic Project,and these are my results,I am a bit confused because first i though i was going to be getting a % percentage of my heritage,since i am of most likely mixed race,and second i didnt feel satisfied not knowing exactly what my ancestorial heritage is other than that most non african people are of this group?what does this mean?does it mean i spent money to findout something i couldve read about in the intro?i dont care about the price much,its just that i really wanted to know my recent ancestorial backgrounds like a certain region as in Spain,Egypt.or even Mexico?i thought i was going to get this sort of information,but since im a bit undereducated in this field,i mustve made a grave mistake?can someone tell me which test(s)should i be taking to figure this out?by the way im a Mexican American from what i understand,my parents where born in Texas Corpuschristi,and as far as i know so were my grandparents,i am familiar whith the whole spainish invasion of mexicao,and the mestizos so i assume that is why im listed as thehaplogroup R1b M343?im uncertain why since im not very aware how the whole genetics thing works?i assume this is my greatest grandfathers lineage as he is a spainard i do see the difference in myself when compared to other mexicans,although this could be because my mother claims her father is half spainard,and her mother half Apache and half generically termed mexican as in mestizo?well ok thanks for any response beforehand.

AJ..

You should have also gotten a set of 12 Y-DNA markers with your results. The R1b designation is for reference to your "deep ancenstry" ... a HAPLOGROUP. Your 12 marker set is your HAPLOTYPE and is more appropriate for your more recent male lineage .. it is the barest of beginnings for knowledge about family ties though...especially in the R1b haplogroup.
    The R1b is almost certainly inidcative of your Spanish ggrandfather's line.
    You might try comparing your other numbers (the 12 YDDNA markers with members of the Mexico geographic group at FTDNA .. I *think* Gary Felix is the coordinator (GAP) for that project. He's going to be much more familiar with the Mexican side of things with regard to tracing family lines.
    I gonna be in there pretty soon myself .. researching some of the members of my wife's relatives. (I lived in Corpus for 30+ years, myself!) My wife's family is gonna be Perez, Valenzuela, Silva, Gonzales and so many more I get lost among them <grin> ... and this gringo isn't the only paleface in family gatherings, either! .. heheh. Her family is mainly Spanish, as well. I'm really curious to find out what her brothers end up testing out as...
    Hope I was of some help,
    ChrisS

Comment

thanks

thank you very much,this is exactly what i needed to know,and as soon as i can i will do the testing.i am very curious to find out some history since im not 100% certain to anything other than the fact of oral history and just regular last name and country nearest to my present day ancestors.its just like the idea if i lived in florida i would be cuban,since this is an assumed theory of any hispanic person,even in our own thoughts.im certain that my greatest grandmother was a precolumbian or amerindian person,only from the facts of history ive read about and other sources.it would be terrific if i could find some dna connection in this form.

Comment

more info

Type: Y-Chromosome
        Haplogroup: R1b (M343)

Your STRs DYS393: 13 DYS439: 12 DYS388: 12 DYS385a: 11
        DYS19: 14 DYS389-1: 13 DYS390: 24 DYS385b: 14
        DYS391: 11 DYS389-2: 18 DYS426: 12 DYS392: 13

Type: Y-Chromosome
        Haplogroup: R1b (M343)

Your STRs DYS393: 13 DYS439: 12 DYS388: 12 DYS385a: 11
        DYS19: 14 DYS389-1: 13 DYS390: 24 DYS385b: 14
        DYS391: 11 DYS389-2: 18 DYS426: 12 DYS392: 13

How to Interpret Your Results
        Above are results from the laboratory analysis of your Y-chromosome. Your DNA was analyzed for Short Tandem Repeats (STRs), which are repeating segments of your genome that have a high mutation rate. The location on the Y chromosome of each of these markers is depicted in the image, with the number of repeats for each of your STRs presented to the right of the marker. For example, DYS19 is a repeat of TAGA, so if your DNA repeated that sequence 12 times at that location, it would appear: DYS19 12. Studying the combination of these STR lengths in your Y Chromosome allows researchers to place you in a haplogroup, which reveals the complex migratory journeys of your ancestors. Y-SNP: In the event that the analysis of your STRs was inconclusive, your Y chromosome was also tested for the presence of an informative Single Nucleotide Polymorphism (SNP). These are mutational changes in a single nucleotide base, and allow researchers to definitively place you in a genetic haplogroup.

Comment

Working...
        X