How specific for a Black person?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How specific for a Black person?

I would like to know if it is possible, using one of the tests offered, that a Black person of African descent can learn of the specific ethnic tribe his ancestors came from, when in Africa.

For example, let's say a Black person is from the Carribean and obviously doesn't know where his ancestor was originally taken from in Africa, can he know if he is Zulu, Wolof, etc.? Can it be specific like that?

I think African Ancestry.com has tests for specific tribal affiliation. I don't know how accurate the tests are though. I don't know of any other place that claims to be that accurate.

Comment

I've learned some interesting things by following up on my matches which might be of interest to a person of African descent. I have two 4-step matchs with Mandara men in Cameroon. They are listed as R1b.

I trace my family back to Ulster Quakers. Sure, the first thing people are going to assume is that some Europeans got into the genepool in the colonial period. While that is certainly possible, there is also evidence for a very ancient migration into that region from somewhere in Eurasia. An ancient form of R1*, lacking the M173 mutation, has been detected at high frequencies in Cameroon. R1b has the M173 mutation, and is most common in Western Europe. It's possible that some of the ancient immigrants did carry the M173. A while back, I came across a map showing an iron trade route into Nigeria during the period of the Roman Empire. That seems like another candidate for how someone carying R1b may have contributed to the Mandara genepool.

One of the things that struck me when I looked into the Mandaras is that they have a considerable historical record. That contradicts the typical assumption that all the people of that region were illiterate until recent times.
      http://www.mandaras.info/WandalaMandara.html

Comment

Originally posted by Minilee
        I would like to know if it is possible, using one of the tests offered, that a Black person of African descent can learn of the specific ethnic tribe his ancestors came from, when in Africa.

For example, let's say a Black person is from the Carribean and obviously doesn't know where his ancestor was originally taken from in Africa, can he know if he is Zulu, Wolof, etc.? Can it be specific like that?
        Minilee,

Yes, it's definitely possible to find what you're looking for. There's a news reporter who recently found his roots in Africa. Here's the link to his story: http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...age&id=3674737

If the link doesn't work just go to abc7.com and type the name Marc Brown in the search box. The story will come up.

Comment

Check THIS out:

HTML Code:
          http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4096706.stm
          LS

Comment

Working...
          X