• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grahcom
    replied
    This site may also be helpful for you http://www.dnagedcom.com/Default.aspx

it also has links to the yahoo adoptee froums

If you are an adoptee looking for help, please visit us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DNAAdoption

To learn more about using DNA tools for various purposes, please visit us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AdoptionDNA_Tools

Leave a comment:

• Swennilsson
    replied
    You need to hang on until a closer match comes in. Our daughter-in-law was adopted, and for the first years we just had the more distant cousin matches. Then, about a month ago, we got a 1st to 2nd cousin match, and within a very short time were able to identify the biological mother, and have a lead on the father too.

Leave a comment:

• Germanica
    replied
    Originally posted by Bellstalker View Post
    Thank you all for the replies.

I have downloaded all my data to Gedmatch - my closest matches are 4.3 & 4.4

I've been at this 35+ years - I am very patient! Just anxious.

My Mum turn 90 this August and I was hoping DNA might help to find her birth family/history for her.

I have two matches that share an almost identical segment on chr#13 (9300-9400snps) approx. 57 cM's longest block 37
    They don't know how they match each other - they see no connection.

Could it be they are NOT related?

I've sent out @ 50 emails to a few of my Mums' matches and happily I've rec'd @ 30 replies. I'm VERY impressed with FTDNA users. Some were just "no connection" messages but others very very helpful.

My Mums kit # 334968 is under her name Ivy Constance Corine Dormer yet the name we are searching for is Ivy BELL. Should I change the kit name to BELL?

Thanks again everyone!!!
    One thing you have to understand is that even when a match is estimated to be fairly closely related - like 3rd cousins, it's only an estimate based on how much DNA you share with that person. Apart from immediate family like parents and siblings, the amount of DNA you share with a distant relative is total random which means you may happen to share a lot of DNA with someone, yet your most recent shared ancestor may have been from colonial times. I have had calculators estimate that I'm 4th cousins with someone or that there's only 4-5 generations from our shared ancestors, but it turns out to be more like 7-9 generations. I have thousands of DNA match and no clue how we are related, often because one or both of us have not been able to research back far enough to discover our shared ancestor. It's hard enough trying to figure out how you're related to all these DNA matches even when you do have a extensive family tree, it's going to be doubly difficult for adoptees.

Also keep in mind that the more recent a shared ancestor lived, the less likely you are to find DNA matches from that ancestor, because there are going to be fewer descendants of that person and the likelihood one of them took a DNA test with the same company you did is lower. All of the DNA matches I've been able to confirm so far have ALL had a shared ancestor from colonial times, no more recent.

Sorry to sound defeatist, but you need to have realistic expectations.

Leave a comment:

• Bellstalker
    replied
    HELP - where to start search

Thank you all for the replies.

I have downloaded all my data to Gedmatch - my closest matches are 4.3 & 4.4

I've been at this 35+ years - I am very patient! Just anxious.

My Mum turn 90 this August and I was hoping DNA might help to find her birth family/history for her.

I have two matches that share an almost identical segment on chr#13 (9300-9400snps) approx. 57 cM's longest block 37
    They don't know how they match each other - they see no connection.

Could it be they are NOT related?

I've sent out @ 50 emails to a few of my Mums' matches and happily I've rec'd @ 30 replies. I'm VERY impressed with FTDNA users. Some were just "no connection" messages but others very very helpful.

My Mums kit # 334968 is under her name Ivy Constance Corine Dormer yet the name we are searching for is Ivy BELL. Should I change the kit name to BELL?

Thanks again everyone!!!

Leave a comment:

• Jim Barrett
    replied
    Originally posted by tommypeters View Post
    As an adoptee I would maximize my chances by also testing for 23andme if they start again. I don't know if a test at Ancestry would be any idea without a tree of your own, I don't really know how AncestryDNA works.
    23andMe is still testing. They just stopped reporting the medical information they were reporting.

This forum has an adoption section. Visit it. FTDNA has an adoption project. Join it.

Testing at all three companies will give you the most matches and will cost the most. Uploading to GEDmatch will let you match with the customers of the other two companies if those customers have also uploaded their results to GEDmatch, which is free.

Leave a comment:

• tommypeters
    replied
    As an adoptee I would maximize my chances by also testing for 23andme if they start again. I don't know if a test at Ancestry would be any idea without a tree of your own, I don't really know how AncestryDNA works.

Leave a comment:

• prairielad
    replied
    Originally posted by Bellstalker View Post
    I have 55 pages of matches.
    10 people are possible 3rd cousins...no closer matches.
    Of these ten .. most don't match each other.
    The two that do - do not know of a connection.

I was adopted. I have no family tree or ancestry names. All I have is a possible surname of "BELL" very common name.

How do I research? Do you go on longest block? Highest cM?

We have no males to test. I've only done the FF dna.

If I search the matches via the Y-DNA Haplogroup - would that be from my mothers fathers side? and mtDNA from my mothers side?

Matching segments of the X chromosome - does that mean anything?

I have read many articles and seem to only get more confused.

Please help! (Ivy Constance Corine Dormer) Ivy BELL
    Y DNA only applies to males that have tested their yDNA, since you do not know your biological father's yDNA haplogroup this does not apply to you. YDNA only deals with Father's, father's line (all male paternal line back in time)

mtDNA requires you to do a mtDNA test, and this follows your mother's mother's line( all female maternal line back in time). Again unless you have done a mtDNA test, this will not be any benefit for you in searching matches.

For a female, XDNA, on X chromosome comes from the father which he received from his mother which is a combination of her father and mothers X. Your other X is a combination of your mothers parents X's.
    X can not be passed from Male to Male(father passes Y to Sons), but is passed Male to Female, and Female to Female.

Leave a comment:

• John McCoy
    replied
    The first step is to get your Family Finder data out there where it can be matched, in case some relative happens to get tested. One of the best ways to increase the odds that someone will match at a close enough level to be helpful, is to transfer your Family Finder data to the free GEDmatch.com web site. That way you will have the benefit of data submitted by people who tested at Ancestry and 23andMe as well as those who tested at FTDNA. Unfortunately, GEDmatch is having technical problems at the moment. Check back in a week or two and follow the directions on the GEDmatch site to "upload" your data.

By now there are a lot of DNA success stories for adoptees finding their biological families, but I think it all boils down to patience and persistence. Don't give up!

Once your data are on GEDmatch, and once all the tools on GEDmatch are working again, you will want to investigate the "Segment Triangulation" tool, to see if you can spot two or more people who match you (and each other) on the same segment of one or more chromosomes. If you happen to find that situation for a segment that is large enough that it can't be explained away as statistical noise (say, 20 cM in length), that may be enough to point you in the right direction. As a rule, people to took the trouble to post their data on GEDmatch are more likely to respond to queries.

Leave a comment:

• Bellstalker
    started a topic HELP - where to start search

HELP - where to start search

I have 55 pages of matches.
    10 people are possible 3rd cousins...no closer matches.
    Of these ten .. most don't match each other.
    The two that do - do not know of a connection.

I was adopted. I have no family tree or ancestry names. All I have is a possible surname of "BELL" very common name.

How do I research? Do you go on longest block? Highest cM?

We have no males to test. I've only done the FF dna.

If I search the matches via the Y-DNA Haplogroup - would that be from my mothers fathers side? and mtDNA from my mothers side?

Matching segments of the X chromosome - does that mean anything?

I have read many articles and seem to only get more confused.

Please help! (Ivy Constance Corine Dormer) Ivy BELL
Working...
X