I am totally lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK. That's some progress.

As I mentioned before, the diagram showing M173, M343, etc. is the haplotree page showing the SNPs, which relate to deep ancestry. This information is not of much use if you're trying to find other men who are related to this paternal line in the last few hundred years.

The image showing the close matches and their nationality is giving us a little more information. Notice that it's giving us "25 MARKER Y-DNA MATCHES." That tells us that your cousin tested at least 25 markers. He may have tested more (37 or 67 markers), but there are no close matches at the higher level(s).

However, in order to make sense of his results for you, we still need to know the STR results for the 25 or more markers he tested. In order to do that, you'll need to do one of the next steps I suggested in my previous post.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you.

I learned a lot. It makes more sense now.

I'm still a little unclear about the whole R1b1a2 versus R1b1b2. I don't see R1b1a2 results in the table I have.

Also, it seems to suggest that M 269 is a predicted haploid group and not a confirmed one. That seems ominous

Comment

Originally posted by BarbaraHaney View Post
        Thank you. That was the first meaningful something yet.

Now, when I look at that chart, I see R1b1a2 of M269 for several Haney families in the southern part of the United States that we have "suspected" as connected.

Now, my "guy" has M269. However, it is on R1b1b2. Now, when I google R1b1a2 [M269] articles on Irish Type III come up. When I repeat the search with R1b1b2 [M269] similar results emerge.

I take it these are different families then?
        In the page you linked to in your last post (http://isaachaney.blogspot.com/2014/06/dna.html), notice that the date for the image from your cousin's FTDNA account is 8/15/09. So, this image is about 5 years old.

What's called R1b1a2 now was called R1b1b2 in 2009. As new SNPs are discovered, it changes the position on the tree and the name for each level, based on the SNP which defines each level.

So, the R1b1a2 of M269 for several Haney families in the southern part of the United States is the same as the R1b1b2 classification that your cousin received in 2009. This family indeed may be connected to your Haney line, as you suspected.

It seems you're on the right track, so the DNA is probably helping you. But we still need the STR results to see how cloesly related your Haney line is to the Haney line from the southern part of the U.S. that you're looking at. The SNPs tell us they're probably related, but it could be more than 1,000 years ago. The STRs will tell us if your Haney line and the other Haney line are related within the last few hundred years and roughly how recently.
        MMaddi
        yDNA: R-CTS2509; mtDNA: T2e
        Last edited by MMaddi; 27 June 2014, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Thank you.

Thank you very much.

Comment

I went to the Haney surname project results page at http://www.worldfamilies.net/surname.../results?raw=1 to look at the results for the Southern Haney lines you mentioned. I'm guessing that that those lines are in the "Haplogroup R1b - Lineage I" category with the first kit number in that group being 244959. Is that correct?

Assuming it is correct, we can see the STR results for the Haney line you suspect is related to your Haney line. Once you get the STR results for your cousin or get another cousin to test and get his results, we can compare the results to the Southern Haney line and get an estimate of how closely they're related to your line.

Comment

Originally posted by BarbaraHaney View Post
              Ok, so I've been over here reading and trying to learn, but I am totally lost.

I have no YDNA. I have no brothers. However, I have a cousin who is a direct male descendant and I have his results. I don't have a kit number. He has not entered a gedcom and doesn't want to "get involved." Me? I was just delighted to get some YDNA results.

Now, I have his reults But I've no idea what any of it means. We are a family that headed into Canada circa 1786. That is the first trace of the family in the records, and the guy carries a chain for a surveyor (the payment is the proof). Nothing is over 2% except for a few MKDOs: One MKDO is Canada, which isn't particularly helpful; second MKDO is from Puerto Rico and the third MKDO is from the Azors. The last name is Haney. We have no tradition of being Spanish. Dutch, perhaps, but Spanish?

I really need some help understanding these results. There are Rs and some numbers... R1 and some numbers... and down the line. The numbers on the first line (R) are [M207][M306][p224][p227][p229][p232][p280][p285]

What does this mean? I've got numbers on all of the lines from the R1s on down.... Any insight or resources would be greatly appreciated.
              I checked the R1b Haney name at 12 markers at ysearch and there are 487 matches. At 67 markers the closest modal to this surname is QDSNM, the L21 Welsh modal so your cousin is likely R1b-L21. The Haney surname may be Irish.
              I hope this helps.

Comment

Yes, that is the group.

Yes, that group. In one of the downstream lines there is an Isaac Haney who inherits a horse and appears to not return. A family in Alabama claims him, and I am good if that is their guy... but I've always rather thought that of the 14 Isaac Haney candidates in South Carolina, that one of those would be a more likely match.

So the legend goes, is that Isaac arrives with his wife, and they cross the falls. Only a horse, and a few meager possessions. They were followed by his sister and her husband, and a brother who was traveling with another family and apparently didn't stick around very long (died, left?). All three family groups are on the 1764 August Jones map of Thorold as land owners with crown patents. The entry pass kept by one of the families is dated 1787. The payment of Isaac Haney is part of the published history of the province of Ontario was for work in 1788. When he was first observed, that place was called Nassau, Quebec and governed by the lower land board, but after the Jones survey it was separated off to Ontario and made part of the Home District (1796ish). You know it today as Thorold, Welland, Ontario. He built a woolen and carding mill, a stone house, and had a bunch of sons, who turned around and repeated the process across Canada.

Cemetery records were destroyed in a fire in 1930, so everything is a SWAG on the gentleman for BMD. We estimate 1763 for a birth and suppose that between 1828-33 he died, based on land records.
                BarbaraHaney
                FTDNA Customer
                Last edited by BarbaraHaney; 27 June 2014, 02:53 PM.

Comment

A bit more

That is right.. Richard went to Illinois, that is what happened.

So, probably some poor Haney family in Illinois has a DNA match and no understanding of how they "connect"

Comment

Working...
                  X