Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12Y-STR results ready - total newby

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 12Y-STR results ready - total newby

    Hello all,

    My 12y-str results finally came in a few days ago, after one month of waiting, they are as follows:

    Marker DYS393 DYS390 DYS19** DYS391 DYS385 DYS426 DYS388 DYS439 DYS389I DYS392 DYS389II***
    Value 13 23 14 10 16-17 11 12 11 13 11 30

    My YDNA is still pending, also no exact matches can be found.
    However, i have checked my predicted haplogroup via "whit athey" and the results are quite shocking for me, as the prediction is E1b1b 98.4%. Should i expect the same prediction from Family Tree DNA or they are using a different algorithm? I have always thought that i am most fitting "J" as my father roots are from Iraq, furthermore my features are strongly semitic/arabid, even though my Mother is European white.
    I was wondering how accurate and reliable is the prediction and if there is any possibility that it may change if i test more markers or perform a y-snp testing. I accidentally noticed the results of an Indian, which are also predicted as E1b1b with 98.7%, but the confirmed haplogroup after snp testing is H-M69.

    N80219 India H-M69 13 24 14 9 12-20 11 12 11 13 12 30

    I am sorry if my questions sound stupid, but i am really a total noob in this dna field.
    If someone can shed a little light here, it will be much appreciated, thanks!
    Last edited by Ordway; 23 June 2014, 11:24 AM.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Ordway View Post
    Marker DYS393 DYS390 DYS19** DYS391 DYS385 DYS426 DYS388 DYS439 DYS389I DYS392 DYS389II***
    Value 13 23 14 10 16-17 11 12 11 13 11 30

    My YDNA is still pending, also no exact matches can be found.
    However, i have checked my predicted haplogroup via "whit athey" and the results are quite shocking for me, as the prediction is E1b1b 98.4%.
    Looks like E1b1b to me as well.

    Originally posted by Ordway View Post
    Should i expect the same prediction from Family Tree DNA or they are using a different algorithm?
    Family Tree DNA uses its own database of SNP-tested results to provide predictions. Whit's predictor and other online predictors use different algorithms.

    Originally posted by Ordway View Post
    I have always thought that i am most fitting "J" as my father roots are from Iraq, furthermore my features are strongly semitic/arabid, even though my Mother is European white.
    E1b1b is also common among Middle East populations.

    You may want to join the E-M35 (E1b1b1) project:

    http://my.familytreedna.com/group-jo...=E-M35_Project

    Elise
    E-M35 Admin Team

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for your comment!
      Currently no exact matches are showing, however when i go to "Y-DNA - Ancestral Origins" 9 people are found with genetic distance of -1

      France 1 4569 < 0.1 %
      Germany 1 16215 < 0.1 %
      Lebanon 1 319 0.3%
      Qatar 1 348 0.3%
      Serbia 1 146 0.7%
      Slovakia 1 669 0.1%
      Syrian Arab Republic 1 272 0.4% Mizrachi (1)
      United Kingdom 1 12885 < 0.1 %
      Uzbekistan 1 227 0.4%

      Is there any way to check the haplogroups and markers of those people?

      Comment


      • #4
        I am also new to this and received my first 12 marker results (of 37) with the predicted Haplogroup G-M201. I then used Whit Athey's Haplogroup Predictor and it gave the same result at 99.9%. So I think FTdna and Whit Athey's formulas must be close... By the way, I was in Batch 572. Also waiting for the autosomal results in batch 573. Which one were you in?
        Joy

        Comment


        • #5
          Hello, i was in batch 571, it took exactly one month for my results to pop in.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi, that's good to know. I seem to be right on schedule then...
            Did you upload your results to ysearch.org? It is possible that you'll see more matches there. I had 5 exact matches on FTdna, but when I uploaded to ysearch, there were over 200 matches at a genetic distance of -1.

            Good luck to you!

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks, i just uploaded my results on ysearch.org.
              Unfortunately still no exact matches. Only 5 matches at genetic distance -1

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ordway View Post
                Thanks for your comment!
                Currently no exact matches are showing, however when i go to "Y-DNA - Ancestral Origins" 9 people are found with genetic distance of -1

                Is there any way to check the haplogroups and markers of those people?
                12-marker matches with a genetic distance of 1 will only show if you belong to the same project. So try joining the E-M35 project to see if any of those show up.

                Also check the Haplogroup Origins page -- if any of them have been SNP-tested, they should show up there anonymously. But if they haven't been SNP-tested, then you won't see them on that page.

                In some cases, there aren't enough SNP-tested matches to provide a clear and unambiguous haplogroup prediction. In such cases, FTDNA will do a free backbone SNP test instead.

                Elise

                Comment

                Working...
                X