Matches with Non-Surnames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matches with Non-Surnames

With my Y-DNA 67-marker results I have had for some time just 3 close matches, all not of my surname. One is 0/zero distance while the other two are a distance of 1.

I have no matches in my surname.

Should I forget sending messages to the people of my surname at the ysearch.org website? Keep focusing on my non-surname folks? We have no paper trail yet.

Cindy
    (for brother)

Cindy,

Do your three close Y 67 matches have the same surname or versions of the same surname?

Comment

That's pretty common. I have a cousin with 66/67 markers and our common ancestor was born in 1700. Also note a 66/67 match could also be between a father or son.

Comment

Hi tomcat - yes, two of the non-surnames are identical and they could be an abbreviated version of my surname. Interestingly, these 2 identicals have not found their way to each other yet. And it is a unique surname.

The 3rd non-surname is totally off the wall and no connection yet.

Cindy

Comment

Cindy,

Are you in communication with the three and do they share any geography of origin or geography of migration with you or one another? Are they at all interested in further testing or puzzling out this apparent connection?

Comment

Originally posted by cacitoo View Post
            Hi tomcat - yes, two of the non-surnames are identical and they could be an abbreviated version of my surname. Interestingly, these 2 identicals have not found their way to each other yet. And it is a unique surname.

The 3rd non-surname is totally off the wall and no connection yet.

Cindy
            I know of cases where the most recent common ancestor (MRCA) is over 400 years ago, beyond the reach of many pedigrees. If you have not seen or started a surname project involving your surname and all abbreviated versions, now would be a good time to start one.

Comment

MIssing the obvious.

NPE, or Non Paternal Event. It happened to me, and suffice it to say, coukd be more common than any of us think.

A 66/67 match is NOT a common thing that occurs, particularly for people who do not think that they share a common ancestor.

My advice? Start dialoguing with these people, look at census reports to see if the surname occurs near your family, you just might be dealing with an NPE.

Good Luck- I wish that I had your problem!

Comment

Working...
              X