is it worth taking another test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it worth taking another test?

Hi everyone i have already taken the Family Finder test and I'm very happy with it money well spent but being of very keen DNA interest i wondered if it would be worth taking the 23andme test would it give me any new autosomal info? some new matches would be good although i might already have them on GED but i have seen some people who have taken both tests have very different results?

cheers.

FWIW, I found the autosomal information on Family Finder and 23andMe to be almost identical.

Comment

Originally posted by J Honeychuck View Post
      FWIW, I found the autosomal information on Family Finder and 23andMe to be almost identical.
      I sopose that can only be a good thing? I'v found that sometimes on Ged people with both tests there results match me at different strengths? would it be worth taking 23 for new matches.

Comment

Originally posted by benboy View Post
        I wondered if it would be worth taking the 23andme test would it give me any new autosomal info?cheers.
        I'd start by uploading my raw data to GEDmatch which is free. They do accept donations!

Comment

GEDmatch is an excellent option -- excellent tools, FREE, many participants from all 3 of the major vendors, but it is currently expected to be unavailable for about 2 weeks due to maintenance issues. If the web site reliability issues can be resolved, the volunteers who are behind this site should be able to get back to innovation.

Comment

Hi Iv been on ged for a wile now having took my FF test a couple of years ago' i was wandering if taking a 23 test would open some new research options?

Comment

I have 164 matches here compared to 1552 at 23AndMe. I'm still waiting for my mother's results at 23AndMe, but she has 277 matches here compared with over 6800 at Ancestry. At a rough guess probably only about a third or maybe even less of the 6800 have trees that go back 5 or more generations and trees are just about the only tool you get at Ancestry.

Still, Mom gets matches at Ancestry close enough to prove lines, while she gets nothing here despite the great tools.

So, if you want more matches, test at more companies.

Comment

You also get a different style ethnic breakdown at 23andme & some say a much better one...

Comment

If you are looking for a good way to spend money in autosomal testing, now that you have done Family Finder, I recommend testing one first cousin from each side of your family. Each will share an average of 12.5% of your matches.

The best thing to remember when autosomal testing is to focus on the oldest generations available. Their results can "see" a bit further.

Maximize the lineal genome; that is, those people for whom all of their ancestors are also your ancestors. My father & his brothers, for example. My father's DNA only represented 50% of the combined autosomal genome of his parents. By adding his two brothers, we have an average of 87.5% of their parents autosomal DNA represented. Get a solid core to match against & then start testing cousins.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

I agree with Timothy. You might get lots more matches if you test elsewhere but testing one or two more cousins will bring more sense to your current matches as you will start to see where they fit into your family.

Comment

thank you for the replys I'm strongly thinking of taking 23 test might even use an older parent aunt or uncle just choosing the right one first? thank you all.

Comment

Working...
                      X