Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Original Anatolian DNA in Turkey

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Original Anatolian DNA in Turkey

    In modern day Turkey, what percentage of the Turkish population have genes from the population before the Turks migrated there from Central Asia? In other words what percentage of today's Turkish DNA is original to Anatolia during the Byzantine period and what percentage is a result of the Turkic and Mongol invasions of the 1000's AD?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Hando View Post
    In modern day Turkey, what percentage of the Turkish population have genes from the population before the Turks migrated there from Central Asia? In other words what percentage of today's Turkish DNA is original to Anatolia during the Byzantine period and what percentage is a result of the Turkic and Mongol invasions of the 1000's AD?
    Y dna studies suggest that people from Turkey are more Anatolian than Mongol. Note that My Origins Anatolian cluster did not include a sample group from Turkey. Dienekes autosomal studies also show that the strongest Turkish component is West Asian.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by josh w. View Post
      Y dna studies suggest that people from Turkey are more Anatolian than Mongol. Note that My Origins Anatolian cluster did not include a sample group from Turkey. Dienekes autosomal studies also show that the strongest Turkish component is West Asian.
      I have been told often enough that some of my ancestors came from Anatolia to western Europe around 5000 years ago but it is not shown in myOrigins. They must have left their autosomal dna behind them.

      Comment


      • #4
        It's quite difficult to cluster Anatolian people in a specific genetic group. Anatolia has been a crossroad for diffirent civilizations since thousands of years. The genetic composition of Anatolian people is also a matter of the region they are coming from. It makes sense that people from the black sea region have a diffirent genetic makeup than people from the aegean region.
        My parents are both from south Turkey (cilicia). My My origins results are 59 % anatolian/caucasus 10% eastern afroasiatic 24% european coastal plains and 8% northeast asian. My Y-dna is haplogroup J2. You can say that I have a large ammount of native anatolian genes.

        What makes it more difficult is that the tribes who invaded anatolia were not homogeneous. It's well known that Turkic tribes were ethnically mixed, also with indo-european groups as they came westward.
        You can say the same thing for byzantines. Byzantines are concluding all the native Anatolian people at that time (Luwians, celtics, phrygians, greeks, assyrians, etc). Later on the Turks called them all "Rum", but they were also heterogeneous.

        I read a lot of Turkish historians about this matter but most of them think that Anatolia was empty and villages were abandoned at the time Turks came. This is possible but it's contradictive with genetic studies on this matter.

        Comment


        • #5
          Turkish DNA

          Merhaba Sinan Murat,
          My exchange student from Bursa tested as a J2 to his surprise,he assumed it would be a Y haplogroup common in Central Asia.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by josh w. View Post
            Y dna studies suggest that people from Turkey are more Anatolian than Mongol. Note that My Origins Anatolian cluster did not include a sample group from Turkey. Dienekes autosomal studies also show that the strongest Turkish component is West Asian.
            Interesting bc both show up in myOrigins in my population breakdowns but in my mother's breakdown it is 11% Anatolian without the SE Asian/Heartlands that I also have. I believe some of this is due to our Balkan ancestry, some to our Jewish ancestry and some to unknown Turkish or Afghan or Possibly Roma or Pakistani (?) ancestry from wayyyyyy back.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by sinan_murat View Post
              It's quite difficult to cluster Anatolian people in a specific genetic group. Anatolia has been a crossroad for diffirent civilizations since thousands of years. The genetic composition of Anatolian people is also a matter of the region they are coming from. It makes sense that people from the black sea region have a diffirent genetic makeup than people from the aegean region.
              My parents are both from south Turkey (cilicia). My My origins results are 59 % anatolian/caucasus 10% eastern afroasiatic 24% european coastal plains and 8% northeast asian. My Y-dna is haplogroup J2. You can say that I have a large ammount of native anatolian genes.

              What makes it more difficult is that the tribes who invaded anatolia were not homogeneous. It's well known that Turkic tribes were ethnically mixed, also with indo-european groups as they came westward.
              You can say the same thing for byzantines. Byzantines are concluding all the native Anatolian people at that time (Luwians, celtics, phrygians, greeks, assyrians, etc). Later on the Turks called them all "Rum", but they were also heterogeneous.
              Thanks for the info. What I want to ask is how much of Turkish people have genes from Turkic tribes from Asia, as opposed to genes from Anatolia before the Turks arrived?

              Comment


              • #8
                You're welcome.

                Like I said, it's hard to cluster a specific anatolian "sample" because of the ethnic variety of asian minor, especially before the turks arrived. We may get some insight if there would be dna research on ancient skeletons and mummies found in Anatolia.

                The anatolian cluster is most dominant, the asian cluster is about 10% , but there are peaks that can go up to 25%.
                I can recommend the research of cinnioglu on this matter.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by sinan_murat View Post
                  You're welcome.

                  Like I said, it's hard to cluster a specific anatolian "sample" because of the ethnic variety of asian minor, especially before the turks arrived. We may get some insight if there would be dna research on ancient skeletons and mummies found in Anatolia.

                  The anatolian cluster is most dominant, the asian cluster is about 10% , but there are peaks that can go up to 25%.
                  I can recommend the research of cinnioglu on this matter.
                  Thank you. What parts of Anatolia do the Asian clusters peak up to 25%? Eastern Anatolia?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by sinan_murat View Post
                    You're welcome.

                    Like I said, it's hard to cluster a specific anatolian "sample" because of the ethnic variety of asian minor, especially before the turks arrived. We may get some insight if there would be dna research on ancient skeletons and mummies found in Anatolia.

                    The anatolian cluster is most dominant, the asian cluster is about 10% , but there are peaks that can go up to 25%.
                    I can recommend the research of cinnioglu on this matter.
                    I wonder what members of the Turkish population are most likely to contain the 10% to 25% asian cluster? When the Turks invaded Anatolia did they bring whole tribes including their womenfolk or was it mostly warriors? I wonder if Turks who are descended from the Seljuk and Ottoman aristocrats contain more Asian cluster than the commoners?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X