Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mutation Question for Jim or an Expert...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mutation Question for Jim or an Expert...

My cousin and I of the same surname share the same ggg-grandfather and our Y-DNA matches 11 of 12. Eventually when I finish spending all of my earnings on collecting the Y-DNA of all of the old and feeble male surname lines in my family that will be extinct within the next five years, I will upgrade some of these results to 37 markers as I realize that 12 marker matches are fairly worthless without a paper trail to back them.

Anyway, I match 31 others (none of them bear my surname) 12 for 12. My cousin matches only three others (none of which bear his surname) 12 for 12. Would it be more probable that my cousin's line mutated than my line since I match more participants or is there realistically no way to tell without more participants?

Best wishes for 2006!

You cannot make any meaningful predictions about mutations from the information you have. You would need data from many more confirmed cousins to build up a picture of where mutations occurred.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost-Sheep
      My cousin and I of the same surname share the same ggg-grandfather and our Y-DNA matches 11 of 12. Eventually when I finish spending all of my earnings on collecting the Y-DNA of all of the old and feeble male surname lines in my family that will be extinct within the next five years, I will upgrade some of these results to 37 markers as I realize that 12 marker matches are fairly worthless without a paper trail to back them.

Anyway, I match 31 others (none of them bear my surname) 12 for 12. My cousin matches only three others (none of which bear his surname) 12 for 12. Would it be more probable that my cousin's line mutated than my line since I match more participants or is there realistically no way to tell without more participants?

Best wishes for 2006!
      expert glad you said jim or an expert
      assuming the numbers and haplotypes are close
      when you get the results get a database like excel and do a spread sheet color all the numbers the same colors maybe yellow. then where pairs of people have the same mutative numbers color those a different color

then you should see the differences they should stick out

go to the barton project they have the yellow

now what you should see is the people with mutations should be in branches these will follow the spliting of the family. the people who went to NY should have the same mutations The Georgia people will have a different group of mutations them maybe the buffalo ny people will develope another set of mutations eventually you can tell where people are from in the family tree

Comment

Hi Jim,

"Jim or an expert" does indeed mean that you are an expert. It just so happens that "experts" are often so involved in that which they are good at, that they do not always have the time to spend babysitting stupid questions from half-wits like myself.

My cousin and I are both R1b melting pot mutts, therefore our haplotype does not really factor into anything meaningful.

I do have another distant cousin that shares the same ggg-grandfather through yet another gg-grandfather. Perhaps his results will finally reveal the...uhm...mutatee...

Take care,

LS

Comment

Originally posted by Lost-Sheep
          Hi Jim,

"Jim or an expert" does indeed mean that you are an expert. It just so happens that "experts" are often so involved in that which they are good at, that they do not always have the time to spend babysitting stupid questions from half-wits like myself.

My cousin and I are both R1b melting pot mutts, therefore our haplotype does not really factor into anything meaningful.

I do have another distant cousin that shares the same ggg-grandfather through yet another gg-grandfather. Perhaps his results will finally reveal the...uhm...mutatee...

Take care,

LS
          hell no!!!

I am an au contraire. you know the stupid kid that said "the king has no clothes" and got his parents flogged

thats me

about being a mutt CRS Is the first mtdna nothing special. she wasnt a queen or something just the first one and everyone gets compared to her
          i am alpha cluster e3b1. that and two bucks gets me a coffee at dunkins
          notice the price went up. we all are peices of the puzzle .
          one thing about puzzles if one lousy peice is gone you can put it all together

you are a special peice everyone is

Comment

Working...
          X