African/European matching with Ashkenazim/Eastern European

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• African/European matching with Ashkenazim/Eastern European

With the old Population Finder I was 77% African (Yoruba) and 23% European (Spain, France, Orcadian en Romanian). With myOrigins my genetic ancestry has shifted to 82% African (Niger Congo genesis 77%, Kalahari Basin 4%, East African Pastoralist 1%) and 18% European Coastal Plain.

I am from Suriname, South America, and I did not expect to find any Family Finder matches from people living there since DNA genealogy is not a big thing in Suriname. As far as I know, my family has been in Suriname for at least 6-8 generations so I did not expect to find any matches outside the country.

Lo and behold I have 27 matches on Family Finder, two of them predicted 4th cousins and the rest of them 5th cousin-remote cousin. The kicker is that based on ancestral surnames and the match matrix all of my matches seem to be of Ashkenazi/Eastern European descent.

I have been trying to process the information for a while and I have read that there is some European admixture in Ashkenazim so maybe we share one ancestor who is not of Middle Eastern descent himself. I propose it must be a he since my family history is one of slavery and the idea of a European woman having children with an African slave was unheard of in colonial Suriname. Colonial Suriname does have a history of European, Sephardic and Ashkenazi slave owners and settlers who have descendants amongst the black population but there is only one known name in my family tree that could suggest possible distant Jewish ancestry and that is Alvares, a Spanish/Sephardic name.

Because of these results I have asked my parents to submit DNA for the Family Finder test too.

I wonder if anyone else of African/European descent (no Middle Eastern DNA) has matches with people of Ashkenazi/Eastern European descent as well.

Originally posted by andwele View Post
    With the old Population Finder I was 77% African (Yoruba) and 23% European (Spain, France, Orcadian en Romanian). With myOrigins my genetic ancestry has shifted to 82% African (Niger Congo genesis 77%, Kalahari Basin 4%, East African Pastoralist 1%) and 18% European Coastal Plain.

I am from Suriname, South America, and I did not expect to find any Family Finder matches from people living there since DNA genealogy is not a big thing in Suriname. As far as I know, my family has been in Suriname for at least 6-8 generations so I did not expect to find any matches outside the country.

Lo and behold I have 27 matches on Family Finder, two of them predicted 4th cousins and the rest of them 5th cousin-remote cousin. The kicker is that based on ancestral surnames and the match matrix all of my matches seem to be of Ashkenazi/Eastern European descent.

I have been trying to process the information for a while and I have read that there is some European admixture in Ashkenazim so maybe we share one ancestor who is not of Middle Eastern descent himself. I propose it must be a he since my family history is one of slavery and the idea of a European woman having children with an African slave was unheard of in colonial Suriname. Colonial Suriname does have a history of European, Sephardic and Ashkenazi slave owners and settlers who have descendants amongst the black population but there is only one known name in my family tree that could suggest possible distant Jewish ancestry and that is Alvares, a Spanish/Sephardic name.

Because of these results I have asked my parents to submit DNA for the Family Finder test too.

I wonder if anyone else of African/European descent (no Middle Eastern DNA) has matches with people of Ashkenazi/Eastern European descent as well.
    Hi, my results on another DNA testing service suggest I have less than 1% Ashkenazi/European in my genetic makeup but I don't recall any matches. My FTDNA results didn't indicate any Ashkenazi makeup or matches. However, the new myOrigins results show 6% Middle Eastern but with the same matches where the connection is Native American and African. I believe those results are either incorrect and they are having problems with interpreting Native American admixture.

I would advise you that I think it is a mistake to discount the possibility that a European or mixed European woman would have children with a male African slave. At least from the American perspective, although it was not common, it was not unheard of that a white female started a family with a male slave that she originally bought to help with farming. Class and race issues were less of jump in those times than our "contemporary" and sometimes insular view of race/class would have you believe. When you are dealing with poor whites or whites who themselves were former indentured servants working and living on a farm in close proximity with African slaves, relationships can and did form, even with white women and black male slaves. Socially created boundaries can fall quite easily when you're just trying to survive. That is a human instinct.
    Last edited by CWF; 10 May 2014, 11:27 AM.

Comment

my mother shows Jewish Diaspora

I just got the results in of my parents Family Finder test and it shows that my mother has 79% African, 5% Jewish Diaspora, 14% European and 1% Central South Asian. All my matches are on her Family Finder matches as well.

My dad does not have any matches besides me on Family Finder yet, he has 84% African and 16% European.

So my conclusion is that I inherited enough Jewish Diaspora and European DNA from my mother to match with non African people but not enough Jewish Diaspora genes to have it show up in my DNA.

Comment

Originally posted by andwele View Post
        ...Colonial Suriname does have a history of European, Sephardic and Ashkenazi slave owners and settlers who have descendants amongst the black population but there is only one known name in my family tree that could suggest possible distant Jewish ancestry and that is Alvares, a Spanish/Sephardic name.
        I am doing a limited research on my Alvarez ancestry because family story tells us that we descended from a Spanish friar during colonial times in our country. However, my Y-DNA is typical of East Asians. Perhaps, we descended from a female Alvarez line (daughter of the friar)who had children with a Filipino-Chinese man.

My matches, or individuals with similar chromosomes at GEDMATCH come from diverse ancestries. Aside from the expected East Asians, many are Europeans based on their haplogroups like R, J, E, etc. It appears that we have similarities of chromosomes identified with East European, other European groups, Middle Eastern, South Asian, etc.

The answer or the link to my research must be buried somewhere in these chromosomes...

Comment

Working...
        X