Can we manipulate our DNA structure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we manipulate our DNA structure

Im sorry if this question appears rather stupid but I am curious none the less. What I have been thinking about lately is whether or not we can manipulate our own DNA structure just through the use of our brain. I am well aware that our DNA structure is set from the beginning of our existence, but it is well documented that the capacity of our brain remains are mystery, whereby no-one can explain its full extent. Therefore, is it possible for us to manipulate our own DNA structure? For example, say I am 6 foot tall and I want to be 6 foot 2 inches - is it possible through a constant desire to be taller for me to manipulate my DNA structure, through this constant thought, so that I will grow taller? I would really appreciate everyone's feedback.

Have you read the book "The Field" by Lynn McTaggart ?
    It's a compilation of studies which suggest a universal energy field, and our connection to that field. Some of the studies included the potential of human thoughts and intentions on the world around us. I think there is a lot of potential for humanity to grow and evolve if we can avoid destroying ourselves with inter-ethnic/religious/economic/etc. conflict.
    Can we change our own genetic make-up by our own thoughts? Interesting question - and as a non-scientist the only answer I can give is "I don't know" !
    I like to think it is a possibility.
    Kelley

Comment

One thing is for sure- allergies are NOT mental.

"still angry, still rancorous, still bitter, still wants to get revenge by thwapping person with a thick immunology textbook"

Comment

This Should Work

I can think of a way you can use your brain to change your DNA:

Use your (smarts?) to figure out a way to expose yourself to heavy doses of radiation. That should do it.

All kidding aside, I'm one of those who is optimistic that one day (soon) we humans will be able to alter our DNA for the sake of curing diseases and improving our health. We will use our brains (combined with scientific methods) to figure out how to do this.

Comment

If I could change my DNA structure, first I would get rid of the nagging congenital illnesses I have. Nothing serious- just allergies and propensity to diabetes.

I would give myself a faster metabolism. And not just for cosmetic reasons. I admit I am a bit of a glutton- but I also like to exercise.

Finally, I would give myself fairer coloring. Lousy adaptation for the Mediterranean countries my family lived in before emigrating to the new world. Lousier for a tropical part of the Western Hemisphere. But I guess just what, 6 generations on mother's side, 2 on father's, would never counter 1000s of years of evolution in giving me resistance and adaptations towards a tropical climate.

Comment

Originally posted by Curiosity
            Im sorry if this question appears rather stupid but I am curious none the less. What I have been thinking about lately is whether or not we can manipulate our own DNA structure just through the use of our brain. I am well aware that our DNA structure is set from the beginning of our existence, but it is well documented that the capacity of our brain remains are mystery, whereby no-one can explain its full extent. Therefore, is it possible for us to manipulate our own DNA structure? For example, say I am 6 foot tall and I want to be 6 foot 2 inches - is it possible through a constant desire to be taller for me to manipulate my DNA structure, through this constant thought, so that I will grow taller? I would really appreciate everyone's feedback.
            Your question doesn't appear stupid because you are talking about a possibility pertainig to the nature. Nothing in regard of the nature can said to be impossible. As you know that we all use only a fraction of the total capacity of our brain. No one knows that what will happen if a man be able to manipulate whole of its brain power! We know that all we see in the world, is controlled by the nature. If a man can use whole of his brain power, he will be equivalent to the nature and so he can do anything which the nature can.
            We know that there are mechanisms in our body to manipulate our genetic molecule, the DNA. If by any means, one become able to controle those mechanisms, he can manipulate his DNA structure.
            "You would have been knowing better about your ability to use your brain power. I think that you would have been using atleast 99.9% of your brain power. You can increase your hight to 6 feet 2 inches manipulating your DNA structure. You can add or remove some nucleotides in the m-RNA molecule during transcription. So, DON'T BE HOPELESS,YOU CAN DO IT. YOU CAN MANIPULATE YOUR DNA STRUCTURE." (DON'T MIND, JUST KIDDING)

Comment

Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but there is absolutely no evidence that you can alter your DNA just by merely thinking about it. If you can prove me wrong then just send me a link to the research. I would be willing to bet everything I own to say that this will never be possible.

Save your effort, and instead read some books on evolution and genetics. Gene therapy may one day offer humans a way to alter their phenotype. Many people would say that this is something to get excited about. Others are afraid of it.

Comment

Working...
              X