Announcing the L3 mtDNA Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcing the L3 mtDNA Project

If you suspect your mtDNA haplogroup is L3 or if you have already been tested L3, you are invited to join this project. FTDNA members can join by clicking on the Join button on their My FTDNA personal page. The project's objectives are to develop a scientifically proven mtDNA database of L3 lineages and to identify and locate possible ancestral geographics.

Project Goals:
    To establish a growing database of mtDNA L3 tested participants.
    To chart and group common test results.
    To breakdown traditional research brickwalls.
    To validate existing family research.
    To determine areas of further genealogical research.
    To chart and possibly determine ancestral geographics.

Lincoln Mulkey
    FTDNA Project Administrator
    International Society of Genetic Genealogy member
    [email protected]
    www.familytreedna.com/public/L3

L3*

I would like to join the group but I don't see L3 listed when I select join on my personal page, other haplogroups are listed. How do I join?thanks Cheryl

Comment

Some of the sequences from your page can be classified more accureately.

129A,183C,189C,209C,223T,292T,295T,311C,519C - L3f1

172C,189C,223T,320T,519C and
      172C,183C,189C,223T,320T,519C - L3e2

223T,265T,519C,527T - did you mean 327 insted of 527? Anyway, this type falls into L3e3 haplogroup

I recommend to check these 2 samples with rflps:

068C,223T,320T,519C (for all L3 subclades)
      111T,124C,172C,173T,223T,519C (for L3bd; hvs2 seems helpful too)
      Last edited by vraatyah; 29 December 2005, 04:26 AM.

Comment

sorry, 16527 is correct - all published L3e3 with completely sequenced hvs1 have this transition.

Comment

HV with 248-298 is actually V or at least pre-V.

Exact match:

248-298
          72-93-195-263-309.1C-315.1C
          (16001-16400; 29-408)
          Wales

Romelle Piercy, K.M.Sullivan, Nicola Benson, P. Gill - The application of mitochondrial DNA typing to the study of white Caucasian genetic identification - International Journal of Legal Medicine - 106:85-90 - 1993

Although this type was not checked with rflps, it's unlikely that 16298-72-93 sequence could develop in a different background. There are 11 published complete sequences with 72-93 and all also possess the transition at 4580, so they are in V. On other hand, 72-93 doesn't seem monophyletic in V because 1 sequence belongs to V1 and other 10 have nothing characteristic of V1.

Comment

L3e2*

I always wondered, what does the * mean? If I get HVR2 or a deep SNP, will it further define my Haplogroup?

Comment

Originally posted by cherylt4
              I would like to join the group but I don't see L3 listed when I select join on my personal page, other haplogroups are listed. How do I join?thanks Cheryl
              Go to the project page (http://www.familytreedna.com/public/L3/index.aspx) and click "REQUEST TO JOIN THIS GROUP" in the upper left hand (blue) column.

Comment

Originally posted by yliser
                I always wondered, what does the * mean? If I get HVR2 or a deep SNP, will it further define my Haplogroup?
                When correctly used, the * indicates that all subclades have been tested and found negative. So for example, L3* is supposed to mean that the distinctive markers for L3a, L3b, etc., were all tested and found negative. In practice, some researchers will use the * notation even if they only tested some but not all of the subclade markers. (The actual correct notation in the latter case is this: L3xL3a, meaning that the marker for L3a was found negative but that no other subclade markers were tested.)

Unfortunately, I don't think FTDNA offers a specific deep-subclade test for the mtDNA L haplogroup. You can indeed get an mtDNArefine test, which will examine the HVR2 region; but the primary purpose of that is to winnow down database matches to those that are closest to you. If your HVR1 results right now have no matches or near-matches, then it may not be of much value to test HVR2 right now.

Comment

L3e2

I recently got my results back and they were as follows:

HVR1 16223T, 16320T, 16399G, 16519C
                  HVR2 73G, 150T, 195C, 198T, 263G, 315.1C, 499A

I admit that I am very new at this. Can anyone tell me more about what this means? I've printed out and read everything that I could on this, however, most information tend to stop at the L3 designation. I have not found anything on the e or the 2. Does this relate to any other geographic area? I didn't even see the e on the migration map from Family tree.

Searching for answers.

Gaye
                  L3e2

Comment

Originally posted by tsgfc

Have you seen this paper?

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/AJH...024272.web.pdf

It has a so-called network diagram of mtDNA haplogroup L. It shows L3e2 as branched off L3e (logically enough) but with an additional mutation at 16320 (which you have).

If I read it correctly, it says that the only L3e2 individual found in the study was a Nyanja (I presume that is a tribe or other ethnic group) in Mozambique or Malawi. (One table shows only a single L3e2, in sample 'l' [small L], and then another table shows the Nyanja sample to be 'l'.)

Comment

Gaye:

if you look at the following article:
                      Salas et al, The African Diaspora: Mitochondrial DNA and the Atlantic Slave trade
                      http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/AJH.../40631.web.pdf

on page 5 there are pie charts with the distribution of the various L's both in America and in Africa. The article says:

L3A types are probably of largely western African provenance, with lesser west central and southeastern African components... The same is true of L3e2, which includes one of the most common and widespread American mtdna types.

cacio

Comment

Regarding the article The Making of the African mtdna landscape, it seems that the data you are referring to is the _new_ data gathered by the authors in south-eastern Africa. But in the paper, they use also data previously gathered by other people, which contain many L3e2 (from other parts of Africa). In fact, in the network charts, they list many observation for the haplogroup.

cacio

Comment

Originally posted by tsgfc

I admit that I am very new at this. Can anyone tell me more about what this means? I've printed out and read everything that I could on this, however, most information tend to stop at the L3 designation. I have not found anything on the e or the 2. Does this relate to any other geographic area? I didn't even see the e on the migration map from Family tree.

Searching for answers.

Gaye
                          L3e2

Hi Gaye,
                          I'm new to this as well. I haven't tested HVR2 yet, but we have the same HVR1 mutations. My haplogroup is L3 and I tested with National Geographic.

I have "pieces" of information on my history but still have a long way to go.

Tks,
                          TSC

Comment

FTDNA Forum - L3 mtDNA Project Thread

Project member Yvonne Moore suggested a great idea... having a one day conference set aside to discuss topics such as the genograhic project, regions of ancestry, migration patterns, or any topics of interest.

I thought this would be a great way to encourage project members to join and utilize our FTNDA L3 Haplogroup Project Forum because many members do not have Yahoo ID's to join our Yahoo Group. I'm sure many of us still have numerous unanswered dna questions...so let's help each other by encouraging dialogue on our L3 forum. Our project mailing list and Yahoo mailing list will still be utilized for group announcements and project messaging. I would like to see the forum used for more direct dialogue.

POLL QUESTIONS
                            1. What topic(s) would you like to discuss?
                            2. Would you rather have a featured topic for discussion for a week, or have a one day conference to discuss any topic (what day of the week?), or have an open forum?
                            3. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Please send poll answers to [email protected]

Lincoln Mulkey
                            FTDNA Project Administrator
                            International Society of Genetic Genealogy member
                            [email protected]
                            www.familytreedna.com/public/L3

Comment

L3f

Hi, I am recently new to familytreedna. I have a few questions, but I am not sure if this the right place to ask them. But I am willing to give it a try in hopes of getting more knowledgeable information.

First off, does anyone know what duplicate DNA is being used to test against all the DNA samples that are received? How is it determined that the substitution (in my case) is do the random repeats "thought" to exist in a particular ethnic background? How can it be determined that these substitutions, deletions,or insertions are not a result of poor genes, enviroment, random selection, etc....

The last question currently on my mind, relates to the six mutations (whatever that means, cause I am not a mutant. Not that would be a bad thing, any way). The first three mutations have a strong relationship to L3f, M7a, and W. What does this mean?

By the way, the results below were obtained from another site, where I only had my HVR-1 sequenced. I am waiting to receive my kit from familytreedna.

Thanks

Location........Region.......Mutation Type.......Nucleotide......Haplogroup
                              16209...........HVR-1.........Substitution.............T > c...........L3f
                              16218...........HVR-1.........Substitution.............C > t...........M7a
                              16223...........HVR-1.........Substitution.............C > t...........W
                              16292...........HVR-1.........Substitution.............C > t...........M7a1
                              16311...........HVR-1.........Substitution.............T > c..........M10
                              16519...........HVR-1.........Substitution.............T > c..........N

Comment

Working...
                              X