Family Finder results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Finder results

At what percentage of cM would be considered a good match?
    The population finder shows I'm 99.15% Western European yet I was told my Dad was German...does this mean he wasn't? I was adopted & I have no idea if what was told to me is correct.

Be sure not to confuse the value of centiMorgans (cM) used in matching others, with what is found in Population Finder. As for "good", in matching other people a 7cM half identical match is more likely than not to be a segment identical by descent, implying a common ancestor, and a 10cM segment almost certainly is identical by descent. However, the most recent common ancestor could be many generations ago.

As for Population Finder - you should take what it tells you with a very big grain of salt. Oh, and Germans (a poorly defined term) are Western European (another poorly defined term.)

Comment

Originally posted by S9 H9 View Post
      Be sure not to confuse the value of centiMorgans (cM) used in matching others, with what is found in Population Finder. As for "good", in matching other people a 7cM half identical match is more likely than not to be a segment identical by descent, implying a common ancestor, and a 10cM segment almost certainly is identical by descent. However, the most recent common ancestor could be many generations ago.

As for Population Finder - you should take what it tells you with a very big grain of salt. Oh, and Germans (a poorly defined term) are Western European (another poorly defined term.)
      My matches on FF range from 35.77 and 20.22 shared cM, does that mean we are close or far?

Comment

Originally posted by RobertaMarques View Post
        My matches on FF range from 35.77 and 20.22 shared cM, does that mean we are close or far?
        Most likely these are distant relatives, 4th cousin or farther.

Comment

related or not?

I have 2 matches .. lets call then A & B
          with A I share 57.23 cM and longest chrom. block is 36.19
          with B I share 56.84 cM and longest chrom. block is 35.76

The longest chromosome block is in the same spot/line 13.

Does this mean we are related?

Comment

Those are healthy matches.

I have one second cousin with about that much shared DNA and a shorter longest segment. And I have a known 5th cousin with half that long a longest segment and about the same total.

And if they know how they are related to each other that will be a big clue.

Comment

Working...
            X