Should I Do This

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Do This

I have vacillated back and forth over whether to have this testing done. The issue with me is lack of understanding. In my limited sense of things, it appears that my results would likely show characteristics of some group that migrated from Africa to America along some path. The questions is what if anything will this tell me about family origins. For example, if my ancestors were in Africa for eons, then migrated to Europe for a century, and then continued to America would my results look different from ancestors who were in Africa for a century, migrated to Europe and remained there for eons, and then came to America. I have no experience with the DNA results and would like some help understanding what "bang" I would get for my "buck."

Originally posted by Newbie DNA
    I have vacillated back and forth over whether to have this testing done. The issue with me is lack of understanding. In my limited sense of things, it appears that my results would likely show characteristics of some group that migrated from Africa to America along some path. The questions is what if anything will this tell me about family origins. For example, if my ancestors were in Africa for eons, then migrated to Europe for a century, and then continued to America would my results look different from ancestors who were in Africa for a century, migrated to Europe and remained there for eons, and then came to America. I have no experience with the DNA results and would like some help understanding what "bang" I would get for my "buck."

go to the barton dna study
    http://www.bartonsite.org/Modals/Modals.htm
    click the click here for dna results

you'll see a sea of yellow with small colored [ bedsides yellow] boxes
    the yellow is the standard for All of these men who share a common ancestor
    the small colored boxes are mutations . with corrosponding paperwork. you can see the puprle and pink line are before the common ancestor. but the rest are results of branches mutating. normally according to terry barton these indicate where some group left the others and went to a different location.it has gotten so that terry can look at the haplotypes and tell you where on the tree you belong and where the location is yours came from [proabably]

like all genealogy it doesnt fall from some tree .it takes some time to get enough of your people to do this type of chart.
    thats one bennifit you get
    the other can be like me myname is a variant no two people say it the same way . i have been denning dennen dinan dinahey denany the air force has me for two months danning .and thats just for starters
    so i look at my results i have half my 12/12 matches as askenazis and again half my 25 /25 matches people with a background of forced conversions.
    so i can see a dannenberg some where in the ages past. maybe when the normans used sephardic jews for tax men and admin persons
    thats to be seen but it is a patern

look you didnt do genealogy [if you did it] to get the family storys. you wanted to know more then the stories the real facts. This is part of that quest. another part

Comment

Let Me Try Again

Assume I have no interest in "finding" all of the persons with matching DNA. Assume I simply am interested in answering discreet ancestral questions such as did my great grandmother have Native American blood or where in Africa did my slave ancestors originate from or was my father from Spain or South America. Regardless of how much that limited focus may be subject to criticism, can I realiztically get answers or clues to answers with DNA testing?

Comment

Assume I have no interest in "finding" all of the persons with matching DNA. Assume I simply am interested in answering discreet ancestral questions such as did my great grandmother have Native American blood or where in Africa did my slave ancestors originate from or was my father from Spain or South America. Regardless of how much that limited focus may be subject to criticism, can I realiztically get answers or clues to answers with DNA testing?
        Newbie DNA,

Your mtDNA test would reveal your mother's female line (her mother's mother's mother, etc). That's the only information you'll get from that test. It will tell you which haplogroup you belong to and where that haplogroup originates from. If you're male you can take the Y-DNA test and get the same information about your father's male line. The tests won't tell you about anyone else in your ancestral background except them.

Comment

yes in time

Comment

Originally posted by haplogroupc
            Newbie DNA,

Your mtDNA test would reveal your mother's female line (her mother's mother's mother, etc). That's the only information you'll get from that test. It will tell you which haplogroup you belong to and where that haplogroup originates from. If you're male you can take the Y-DNA test and get the same information about your father's male line. The tests won't tell you about anyone else in your ancestral background except them.

it will go into the same as above only deeper and your numbers will be charted as i said
            that chart like it or not will be done and the info will be there
            you can ignore it all in which case you wont learn anything but if you brain says i might look at the results and see how they relate to me and i might learn something

you can join bartons group and never go to the project pages again

your inactivity doesnt mean no one processes and furthurs the knowledge occured by the project

that part is upto you

Comment

Current DNA testing is not going to answer the questions you pose. As 'haplogroupc' wrote the best you can get is very limited information (i.e. the haplogroup) of just two of your many thousands of ancestors.

If you were hoping for more than that don't waste your money. Traditional, paper genealogy may yield better information for you.

Comment

Originally posted by bob_allison
                Current DNA testing is not going to answer the questions you pose. As 'haplogroupc' wrote the best you can get is very limited information (i.e. the haplogroup) of just two of your many thousands of ancestors.

If you were hoping for more than that don't waste your money. Traditional, paper genealogy may yield better information for you.
                if you have a project manager like terry barton you ll get that info
                but this is alot more then just what your ydna is and mtdna is
                the numbers are just a start
                see i am doing the genealogy of a tri city area in mass.good sized cities.
                so my vantage point is i see what mtdna can do

sure if you pay 99 and dont check your gap personal page and delete emails with out checking them out . it is a waste of time but why do that. as a genealogist are you satified with your dads dad.;lol hell no

Comment

There are autosomal tests such as the one offered by Ethnoancestry which give general information of the type you seek. They basically estimate the percentage of your genes from different continents. There is some question about the value of such tests especially if a region has a low percentage value.

Comment

Do they do Saami autosomal tests?

I have read article saying Saami are in autosomal test significant different from the neightbouring people.

Originally posted by josh w.
                    There are autosomal tests such as the one offered by Ethnoancestry which give general information of the type you seek. They basically estimate the percentage of your genes from different continents. There is some question about the value of such tests especially if a region has a low percentage value.

Comment

Working...
                    X