Unexpected Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Jim and Thanks,

Yes, I have gone back to the history books and have noted that during the time frame I have been looking at pre 1730 in the southeast that there were almost continual raids among all the peoples living there European and Indian. Of course a good "prize" was always a woman or a young child. These captives were also traded between Tribes...so I can imagine now how an English/Irish woman would have found her way into my NA lineage. The written historical NA record only goes back to about 1750. It is in those records that the second interpretor of the British garrison at Ft Loudon married a full blooded Cherokee woman of BirdClan...my original gramma. Obviously "full blooded" was the interpretation of the British garrison reporter. In historical times before removal only "one drop" of blood made one a Cherokee. Thnigs are surely different now.
    Happy New Year,
    Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Jambalaia32
      Hey! Merry Christmas.Do partwhite men that are card carrying Indians celebrate Christmas?
      [chuckle] I can't speak for all of us but we do at my lodge
      I got a nice new Bose Wave Machine. Guess I was pretty good all year.
      Happy New Year,
      Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Swinea
        Hello Jim and Thanks,

Yes, I have gone back to the history books and have noted that during the time frame I have been looking at pre 1730 in the southeast that there were almost continual raids among all the peoples living there European and Indian. Of course a good "prize" was always a woman or a young child. These captives were also traded between Tribes...so I can imagine now how an English/Irish woman would have found her way into my NA lineage. The written historical NA record only goes back to about 1750. It is in those records that the second interpretor of the British garrison at Ft Loudon married a full blooded Cherokee woman of BirdClan...my original gramma. Obviously "full blooded" was the interpretation of the British garrison reporter. In historical times before removal only "one drop" of blood made one a Cherokee. Thnigs are surely different now.
        Happy New Year,
        Bob
        Bob,
        I saw your ancestors on the FamilySearch.org website. You posted their names in an earlier message and I looked them up out of curiosity. There are several different records of them with different dates on them. They must have been famous! But I can see why it's difficult finding more because your female ancestor has only one name on the records.

Comment

Hello Jim,
          Yes, it is a unique challenge presented me by my mtDNA line. Yes several of my ancestors were very well known in their time. I attempt to live so as to honor their memories.

I personally believe this is why when the DAWES COMMISSION enrolled Indian Peoples it quickly became the benchmark for "Indian-ness". Unfortunatley, if your family members were not home the day the surveyor came around, or refused to be questioned by another govt official ... your family line was stricken from the official Indian rolls. Lot of Indian folk out there with no paper trail. Many who could passed for white as it was worse being an NDN than any other racial group disparaged by the likes of the infamous KKK, etc.

Happy New Year,
          Bob

Comment

Working...
          X