GedMatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GedMatch

A distant cousin asked whether I had forwarded DNA information to GedMatch.com (I hadn't). But when I tried to do that, the site wouldn't send the confirmation e-mail.

An entry in a genealogy forum from 2012 commented on the (now defunct) 23-and-me project which seemed to be linked to GedMatch. Are they both defunct? Is any other project enabling FtDNA customers to find relatives who used another company's DNA analysis?

GEDmatch is still up and running, albeit slowly at times. What email?? I have uploaded 4 kits and never received an email. I have stayed on the screen and waited until the upload was finished to receive my kit#, but received no email. My last upload to GEDmatch was 2 months ago. Perhaps an email is something new?

Comment

I agree with Marietta! I have never received an e-mail from GEDmatch. It is up and running. I'm running a search right now. It is free.

23andMe is still in business. FDA has forced them to stop providing the medical information for now. I was on their site yesterday. I did receive e-mails from them yesterday.

Comment

how do you upload a file? where is the file in FTDNA I don't see it.

Comment

To upload to Gedmatch

jeanne25: Google GEDmatch. Set up with your email and password. Go to the next page and to the top right, "Upload data from Your Testing Company" click on your testing company. Then print out the 2 pages of instruction and fill out manually.

Follow the instructions precisely and use the same name you used at the testing company, otherwise your results could be skewed. Stay with the screen until it gives your kit#. Takes about 10 minutes.

To get your results processed (tokenized), according to the last reports, it should be between 2 days - ??. My cousin just got her results back in 3 weeks.

Gedmatch is free, and has a volunteer staff of 2-3 people, so I think it would be highly unlikely to be getting an email from them as a confirmation. Probably the kit # serves as a confirmation.
          Last edited by Biblioteque; 15 February 2014, 12:24 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Still stuck

When I go to GEDMatch, I fill in the blanks, and then I get this:

"An email has been sent to [email protected] with a 'Registration Confirmation Code'.
            Please copy that code from your email, and paste it in the space below.
            Then, click on the 'Confirm' button below to complete the registration process."

I've rechecked after an hour and after 2 days, but no message sent to my e-mail. I looked in the spam blocker....
            So I tried signing in with the password and name I used, figuring (maybe) it signed me in, but I get the message that it's not a valid username or password.

Comment

Wrong Again!

I was wrong! I just created a new account using a new e-mail address and I did receive the message that an e-mail would be sent to that e-mail address. In a very short time I received the e-mail from GEDmatch, I copied the code, pasted it in the blank provided at the GEDmatch site and my account was created.

Comment

Are You Blocking Their Reply

I tried sending an e-mail to you using the e-mail address in your message and I received this reply.

---------Start Reply -------
                I apologize for this automatic reply to your email.

To control spam, I now allow incoming messages only from senders I have approved beforehand.

If you would like to be added to my list of approved senders, please fill out the short request form (see link below). Once I approve you, I will receive your original message in my inbox. You do not need to resend your message. I apologize for this one-time inconvenience.

Click the link below to fill out the request:

https://webmail.pas.earthlink.net/wa...6-00144fe246f4
                ------ End Reply --------

Maybe your e-mail settings are blocking the e-mail from GEDmatch.
                Last edited by Jim Barrett; 16 February 2014, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Jim Barrett: Would it possibly help if he put GEDmatch's email address in his address book so his computer would recognize GEDmatch as a safe site? If so, what is GEDmatch's email address?

Comment

Hi,

I strongly recommend that all Earthlink users use a dedicated web e-mail address (Gmail type) for all genealogy and genetic genealogy. You will be amazed at how many cousins have been trying to reach you but have been blocked.

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
                    I tried sending an e-mail to you using the e-mail address in your message and I received this reply.
                    Maybe your e-mail settings are blocking the e-mail from GEDmatch.
                    Last edited by Rebekah Canada; 16 February 2014, 08:04 AM.

Comment

OK, I'll get a gmail account. But in the mean time, does anyone know the e-mail address I should give to EarthLink?

Comment

I'm sorry, but I deleted the message they sent me so I can't see the address they used. They do provide this address on their website
                        [email protected]

Comment

That email addy is the same one that I received.

[email protected]

The link and confirmation code worked within hours for me.

Good luck, it's a really fun tool.

Comment

Working...
                          X