alleles/mutations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alleles/mutations

OK, so now I've seen my genetic mutations on GEDmatch and am a little freaked out. I'm adopted, so have no idea what runs in my family. One of the mutations is homozygous too! Is it something I should follow up on, or is it OK to fully ostrich it?

Originally posted by mel07green View Post
    OK, so now I've seen my genetic mutations on GEDmatch and am a little freaked out. I'm adopted, so have no idea what runs in my family. One of the mutations is homozygous too! Is it something I should follow up on, or is it OK to fully ostrich it?
    Are you speaking of the rare SNPs tool with your Family Finder raw data? Mutation is a general word -- it just means a change, which can be harmful, neutral, or beneficial. Another word is variant. Rare variants are more "interesting."

Anyway, FTDNA strips your raw data of many SNPs with medical implications. You can also run a tool called Promethease to see if there are any annotations for the remaining SNPs.

http://snpedia.com/index.php/Promethease

Comment

I am sure you know, but it would helpful to us if you tell us 1) which test you have ordered and from which companies and 2) which of the many tools from GEDmatch you are using. The more we know the more help we can provide.

Comment

Yes, the rare SNPs tool on GEDMATCH. Thank you your replies. I posted too soon and now feel like an idiot. I also didn't realise FTDNA removes the mutations with medical implications.

Comment

I posted too soon and now feel like an idiot.
          Never feel bad about your post here!

Comment

Working...
          X