Native American Indian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Marietta,

I can only speak for myself. I have read and been told many reasons why American Indians refuse to test. Trust is the central issue. Given the history of the last five hundred years there is little reason to trust. American Indians have lived with the cosmetic history of the Euro Invader. Colonial powers do write histories to suit their needs, therefore little of the true history is known or understood by the dominant culture. Although histories written by American Indians do exist, they are not typically found in schools or in the media. American Indian lawyers, writers, artists, and other intellectuals ideas remain purposefully blacked out to the dominant population.

This, is in my opinion, an important topic for the understanding of DNA. Population migration, and admixture are important topics to understand, and so is genocide. The American Genocide, the systematic and purposeful attempted elimination of an entire race of people ( a very different concept from war) from the American continent is understood by historians around the world as the greatest genocide in the last five hundred years. This is settled history although denial still exists among some resulting from a lack of education. John Stannard and Charles Mann, both competent “white” researchers and writers, have concluded that no less than one hundred million American Indians perished in this genocide. Their books reflect their research. Mass death too is important in understanding DNA.

There are those American Indians who believe that a “quiet genocide” still continues to this day. There is evidence of such things that fit within the United Nations definition of Genocide of which the United States is a signatory. So trust is the primary issue regarding testing. American Indians, whose informed voices are absent from the media, simply do not trust the dominant culture to be truthful regarding the testing, and further, to be purposefully untruthful.

The genocide devastated Native Peoples in America, their lives and their traditional culture. Although many American Indians are culturally assimilated, about one quarter of those remaining remain true to the traditional cultures of their ancestors, as best they have been able to reconstruct them.

Why is this important regarding DNA. Because of the genocide, American Indians remain widely scattered. American Indian author M. Scott Momaday believes in blood memory. I do too. Mother Nature creates each of us differently. Some of us who have Native ancestry, simply do not fit into the dominant culture. We are called to a different lifeway, that of our ancestors. In the world view of Spirit, prophecy plays an important role. We are prophesied to be awakened in this time. I believe we have been. We mix-bloods, either by circumstance or choice, do not belong to a government recognized tribe. We are often referred to as urban Indians or outlanders, yet, we seek to remain culturally traditional Indian. We believe that our people will eventually come together again under one fire. DNA testing allows we mix-bloods to seek out our relations and to bring our families together again. Thus the concept of “one fire.” As we recover from the great genocide, we are also recovering the traditional culture of our ancestors. We are healing and DNA is assisting us where paper trails have been eliminated.
    Therefore it is very important to some Native Peoples to follow this path. As with most things, Native Americans are not a monolith of thought. There are some who will see the benefit of DNA and test. I believe that with some pointed effort, many will, thus allowing our families to reconnect.

In my traditional Cherokee beliefs, we have entered the Sixth World, the world of Sunflower. The Sixth World is believed to be a time of human flowering and transformation. It is the time of the appearance of flowered people or honeyed people who will see the evolution of humans to the next higher plane of existence. Or, it could be an age of greed, death and destruction, another human extinction event. Life and death is a simple choice, yet it appears to be one not easily made by humans. American Indian beliefs value life very highly as can be attested by their existence on this continent for twelve thousand years or more. I feel an urgency to connect with my family and to bring them to the fire once again. Family Tree is helping me to do that. Yes I have tested. I hope I have answered your question Marietta and not offended others by stating my views.
    Last edited by Dust; 3 February 2014, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dust View Post
      Hi Marietta,

I can only speak for myself. I have read and been told many reasons why American Indians refuse to test. Trust is the central issue. Given the history of the last five hundred years there is little reason to trust. American Indians have lived with the cosmetic history of the Euro Invader. Colonial powers do write histories to suit their needs, therefore little of the true history is known or understood by the dominant culture. Although histories written by American Indians do exist, they are not typically found in schools or in the media. American Indian lawyers, writers, artists, and other intellectuals ideas remain purposefully blacked out to the dominant population.

This, is in my opinion, an important topic for the understanding of DNA. Population migration, and admixture are important topics to understand, and so is genocide. The American Genocide, the systematic and purposeful attempted elimination of an entire race of people ( a very different concept from war) from the American continent is understood by historians around the world as the greatest genocide in the last five hundred years. This is settled history although denial still exists among some resulting from a lack of education. John Stannard and Charles Mann, both competent “white” researchers and writers, have concluded that no less than one hundred million American Indians perished in this genocide. Their books reflect their research. Mass death too is important in understanding DNA.

There are those American Indians who believe that a “quiet genocide” still continues to this day. There is evidence of such things that fit within the United Nations definition of Genocide of which the United States is a signatory. So trust is the primary issue regarding testing. American Indians, whose informed voices are absent from the media, simply do not trust the dominant culture to be truthful regarding the testing, and further, to be purposefully untruthful.

The genocide devastated Native Peoples in America, their lives and their traditional culture. Although many American Indians are culturally assimilated, about one quarter of those remaining remain true to the traditional cultures of their ancestors, as best they have been able to reconstruct them.

Why is this important regarding DNA. Because of the genocide, American Indians remain widely scattered. American Indian author M. Scott Momaday believes in blood memory. I do too. Mother Nature creates each of us differently. Some of us who have Native ancestry, simply do not fit into the dominant culture. We are called to a different lifeway, that of our ancestors. In the world view of Spirit, prophecy plays an important role. We are prophesied to be awakened in this time. I believe we have been. We mix-bloods, either by circumstance or choice, do not belong to a government recognized tribe. We are often referred to as urban Indians or outlanders, yet, we seek to remain culturally traditional Indian. We believe that our people will eventually come together again under one fire. DNA testing allows we mix-bloods to seek out our relations and to bring our families together again. Thus the concept of “one fire.” As we recover from the great genocide, we are also recovering the traditional culture of our ancestors. We are healing and DNA is assisting us where paper trails have been eliminated.
      Therefore it is very important to some Native Peoples to follow this path. As with most things, Native Americans are not a monolith of thought. There are some who will see the benefit of DNA and test. I believe that with some pointed effort, many will, thus allowing our families to reconnect.

In my traditional Cherokee beliefs, we have entered the Sixth World, the world of Sunflower. The Sixth World is believed to be a time of human flowering and transformation. It is the time of the appearance of flowered people or honeyed people who will see the evolution of humans to the next higher plane of existence. Or, it could be an age of greed, death and destruction, another human extinction event. Life and death is a simple choice, yet it appears to be one not easily made by humans. American Indian beliefs value life very highly as can be attested by their existence on this continent for twelve thousand years or more. I feel an urgency to connect with my family and to bring them to the fire once again. Family Tree is helping me to do that. Yes I have tested. I hope I have answered your question Marietta and not offended others by stating my views.
      Dust thanks for sharing your thoughts. Yes many of these issues are complicated. And so many different facets to be considered. I for one hope to see more Native Americans DNA test.

Comment

Originally posted by Táltos View Post
        Dust thanks for sharing your thoughts. Yes many of these issues are complicated. And so many different facets to be considered. I for one hope to see more Native Americans DNA test.
        Yes I hope so too. I respect the varying opinions among American Indians. I am very thankful that we are still here to participate and find our relatives.

Comment

Working...
        X