Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why..so few matches for a 100% European?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bartot - For comparison's sake - My closest match on 23andMe is 0.40%. We share a total of 29.7 cM over three segments & largest block of 12.2 cM at 23andMe.

Comment

Bartot: The % given by 23 and Me can be multiplied by a factor of 75 to convert to approximate cMs. This was posted by NYMark last year in answer to my query.
      Last edited by Biblioteque; 22 January 2014, 01:52 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Originally posted by marietta View Post
        Bartot: The % given by 23 and Me can be multiplied by a factor of 75 to convert to approximate cMs. This was posted by NYMark last year in answer to my query.
        thanks

so 0.47% would equal to 35cms ..........seems too high, but ?!

Comment

Bartot - No, that is correct, about 35 cM would be right for a 0.47% match.

Comment

Native Europeans of today test much less frequently than Americans for a few reasons:

1) recorded history of many ethnic and religious wars - they see these tests as a desire to distinguish one's self from the crowd and those interested as likely bigots. The tests are expensive too and tend to cost even more in Europe.

2) in many of European locations governments didn't keep records and churches always didn't either. There is no paper trail to document and they already know they have lived in their homeland for generations so a test is going to tell an Italian the obvious: their ancestors have lived in modern day Italy for many generations.

Most matches you get with Europeans will be a result of University, Government, and Medical studies - you know - history, archeology, and medicine and rely on volunteers for those studies.

I've been tested for 11 years now and don't have many matches.

Comment

I agree with Taltos. I am also part Abruzzi Italian and I think I have one possible match of my 1000 and my mother who is at least 1/4 Abruzzi(her father was 1/2 Italian) has zero of her over 1200 matches. But bc we are Ashkenazi Jew we match nearly every one else in the database who is Jewish (or so it seems-lol). My mother is 1/2 or slightly more than 1/2 AJ and I am 25%+ AJ. My father was adopted but I do know that his birth mother was Norwegian with some other Scandinavian mixed in and I have several Norwegian/Swedish and Finnish matches that actually all match on the same chromosome and the exact same location and share the name Ericcson wayyyyyyyy back (just an interesting tidbit) so I don't think that you are lacking North European matches bc of a lack of subjects. I actually have quite a few.

I really think it is the Italian- north or south- influence. There just are not enough people in the database.

I don't know if testing elsewhere is really going to help unless they have a larger Italian population testing.

Comment

Very few matches

Hi!
                I am from Norway, at least on my paternal side. My mother is Finnish. My fathers side have been Norwegian since 1790s, when they came from Scotland as far as we know.

Now,I have Haplogroup G-M201 on my fathers side, and U5 on my mothers side (so far, strange that I have not more confirmed yet...).

Anyway, to the point. I started With 5-6 matches on marker 12, and down to only 1 match on 67 marker on my fathers side now.

On my mothers side, I have about 400 matches!

Since Norway and Finland is both Scandinavian countries, is it not a bit strange that I have only 1 matc With my fathers side, and 400 on my mothers side???

BTW
                Totally newbie, trying to understand DNA is veeeery difficult.

Brgds
                Klaus

Comment

Bartot- my mom is 25% Southern Italian (Abruzzi) and not one match is Italian of her over 1500 matches ( she in over 50% Ashkenazi).

Her brother did the Y-DNA the Y-DNA test and although they originally came from the Balkans over the Adriadic to Italy they have been there for hundreds of years and intermarried with Italians. His 37 marker matches (2) both are Italian who most likely are like him and have Albanian or Macedonian or Balkan roots. But they do not show up on my moms or my family finder list.

So I guess it isn't surprising.

Unfortunately I would gather not many Italians test and those that probably do may not actually be Italian or at least Italian thousand of years ago so they may not match you. My moms ancestry shows up as "Romanian" on the FtDNA breakdown for her Balkan aka Italian ancestry. Is your ancestry actually Italian or is it like my mother's more Balkan - still Mediterranean but not as Southern.

Comment

For some reason it seems like more Italians choose 23andMe as their testing company, southern Italians st any rate. I have quite a few Italian matches there, but hardly any here. I got 3 new Italian matches in the same week at 23andMe a couple of weeks ago. Two (mother and daughter) are descendants of my great-grandfather, and the third was further back but in the same line. We appeared to be very close, but found we were each descended from cousin marriages among the grandchildren of one couple. All 3 in my Sicilian line, which I have already researched back about 250 years. What I want is to get a match who can tell me something about my Abruzzi line!

Comment

And I thought it was rough for people like me who have roots mainly from Russia and Ukraine. My mother has 50 Family Finder matches since Oct. 30, 2013 and I have 62 Family Finder matches since winter 2011. My mother and I have German ancestry from current day Poland from one great-grandmother. I have a great-grandmother from my father's side who had a Polish name but I only know her family came from eastern Ukraine. In three years, I have not found a common surname with anyone.

I did the MTDNA test too. I have 5 matches leading up to the code region but I cannot research my maternal line ancestors to that test because records were destroyed in WWII in Poland.

I have also tested with AncestryDNA and I have more a 1,000 matches. Some have common surnames with me but no one can match our common surname to the same area. I am waiting for my results from 23andme.

Vera
                      my blog- https://lostrussianfamily.wordpress.com/

Comment

German ancestry in current Poland

Originally posted by veramiller View Post
                        And My mother and I have German ancestry from current day Poland from one great-grandmother. ... I have 5 matches leading up to the code region but I cannot research my maternal line ancestors to that test because records were destroyed in WWII in Poland.
                        Hallo Vera,

me too, I have German ancestry in current Poland (former Pommern, Landsberg a.d. W. in former Neumark) and was lucky to research my lines back to 1800 (in some cases earlier) with the help of copies of Polish church books. I wondered because you wrote, that most of the records you needed for your research have been destroyed. In which area do you search?

Perhaps I can help you with special databases or adresses of Polish archives. As I do not know, if this thema is a point of interest for this DNA forum, therefor you might send me a PM, if you like further help.

Petra

Comment

My father was of Irish and German descent (his ancestors came to USA between 1826-1872, mostly before 1850). My mother is of Polish & Czech descent (her ancestors came to USA 1895-1907). Oddly enough, I seem to have disproportionately more matches from my mom's side, considering how recently they arrived in this country.

Comment

Hi Petra,

Thank you for your offer of help. I am very familiar with Polish archives. I have searched the databases of archive holdings and a lot is missing for my ancestors' locations and the Mormon church does not have many church books microfilmed. It is my luck.

Vera

Comment

Matches Map

I am also frustrated that no one on my match list is Italian. I did my mtDNA hoping to trace my grandmother's parentage. She was abandoned in Venice. My mother was conceived in Italy (born in Canada) and her father was Italian. So why no Italians??? I have Russian names, Swedish names and even an Irish - O'Neal. When I look at the Matches Map there is one person in Italy. Why doesn't she show up? When I compared the numbers they matched!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X