where do I go from here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where do I go from here?

We are researching my husband's grandmother but am not sure what the next step will be. She went to India in 1905 ( possibly as a fishing fleet girl)
    We have found the steam ship that she went out on, but cannot find her return.
    She was 19 and a music teacher. She became pregnant but refused to put the name of the father on the birth certificate.

We have both had Family Finder DNA testing and wondered whether there is a way of finding possible half- siblings from the resulting DNA. Is there a way of tracing possible close relatives from this?

Originally posted by Ann - Marie View Post
    We are researching my husband's grandmother but am not sure what the next step will be. She went to India in 1905 ( possibly as a fishing fleet girl)
    We have found the steam ship that she went out on, but cannot find her return.
    She was 19 and a music teacher. She became pregnant but refused to put the name of the father on the birth certificate.

We have both had Family Finder DNA testing and wondered whether there is a way of finding possible half- siblings from the resulting DNA. Is there a way of tracing possible close relatives from this?
    Hi,

Maybe, but you want to get as close to her generation as possible. Are your husband's parents alive?

Comment

where do I go from here

Hi, The closest that we can go is my husband and his sister. His mother and father are both dead.

Comment

Hi, The closest that we can go is my husband and his sister. His mother and father are both dead.
        Hi,

They are a place to start. The grandmother does not have other living children? How about 1st cousins to your husband? I ask because one of the things you will have to do as you evaluate matches is determine which side of the family they are on.

My next question is more for traditional genealogy. What records do you have for his grandmother before 1905? Do you know where she was born?

Comment

w;here do I go from here

Hi, There are no living children and the only connection to her was from a marriage to a Jim Alexander, so the DNA has no connection to my husband's father.

I have found out where she lived as a child and where she went to school. However once she went to India the trail vanishes.

We knew nothing about this until after her death and she left no information at all. The only thing for sure was that Claude Alexander was born in India.(Peter's father).

Comment

where do I go from here?

Is it possible that the chromosome matches on Peter's side might be a clue to finding out who his grandfather was? In the seventies my mother-in-law
            received a letter from the Salvation Army asking about family connections, but she threw it away before anyone could read it as she didn't want to get involved, so someone was looking at that time for family members!!!
            I suspect that with the info that I have, makes it almost impossible to trace him.

Comment

Hi, There are no living children and the only connection to her was from a marriage to a Jim Alexander, so the DNA has no connection to my husband's father.

I have found out where she lived as a child and where she went to school. However once she went to India the trail vanishes.

We knew nothing about this until after her death and she left no information at all. The only thing for sure was that Claude Alexander was born in India.(Peter's father).
              Is this:
              Grandmother + Unknown Male
              Father (Claude Alexander)
              Self (Peter)

If so, the place to start is a Y-DNA37 test to see if you can match Peter to a surname or discover if the Unknown Male was British, Native Indian, or something else.

Either way, I would suggest autosomal (Family Finder) testing to check for non-English ancestry and match possible cousins.

Comment

where do I go from here

Many thanks, we will do that.

Regards
                Ann.

Comment

Working...
                X