Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who should we get samples from?

Hi,
    I'm very new at this, have sent in 2 samples, one from my brother to check our father's side-this will only give info about our father-grandfather-ggrandfather, is this correct? Who would we need to get a sample from to see our father's mother-grandmother, etc?

My sample (I'm female) will show my mother, her mother, etc, is this right? Who would we need to test for my mother's father's line?

I would appreciate help.
    Thanks
    Mary

YOU GET YOUR DADS DADS ALL THE WAY BACK AND YOU DADS MOM AND HER MOMS ALL THE WAY BACK
    LIKE YOUR SON WILL HAVE YOU MTDNA ALL THE WAY BACK AND HIS DADS ALL THE WAY BACK

TO FIND other lines you need to test those lines

Comment

mananea1,

Yes, your brother's Y-DNA test will only show your father's male line. In order to reveal your father's mother’s female line, your father could take the mtDNA test. If he’s not available, then any of his siblings could take the mtDNA test as long as they share the same mother. If they’re not available then your father's sister’s daughter would reveal it or any of her own daughters. Did that make sense?

To answer your next question, yes, your own mtDNA test will only reveal your mother's female line. In order to find your mother’s father’s DNA, your mother’s brother could take the Y-DNA test. This would reveal your father’s male line. If no brothers are available, her brother’s son could take the test or any of his own sons.

In order to reveal your mother’s father’s female line, your father’s sister could take the mtDNA test or any of her own daughters. I hope that’s not too confusing.

Comment

Working...
      X