X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourist
    replied
    Originally posted by Dust View Post
    Yes, I will continue to try to learn and perhaps I too will become a Treebe.
    Your family came from somewhere, and maybe my family came from somewhere far different than yours. But we each can focus on just where our families came from. And a study of that allows each of us to become "experts" about our families.

Yes, for both you and I, this is the beginning of a long term project.

Leave a comment:

• Dust
    replied
    Originally posted by Tourist View Post
    Hi Dust,

You mentioned being a newbie, but all of us started as newbies. And many of the population of the various DNA projects here were once newbies, too, but they are now very knowledgeable contributors. So, as time goes along you will become much more knowledgeable, too. Just keep at it!

I look forward to seeing more of you in the future.

Best regards,

Doug
    Thank you Doug. I appreciate the insight and encouragement. Yes, I will continue to try to learn and perhaps I too will become a Treebe.

Dust

Leave a comment:

• Tourist
    replied
    Hi Dust,

You mentioned being a newbie, but all of us started as newbies. And many of the population of the various DNA projects here were once newbies, too, but they are now very knowledgeable contributors. So, as time goes along you will become much more knowledgeable, too. Just keep at it!

I look forward to seeing more of you in the future.

Best regards,

Doug

Leave a comment:

• Dust
    replied
    Originally posted by marietta View Post
    Dust: Also, upload your dna test results to GEDmatch (google the site, study it, and it is self-explanatory). They might not be taking uploads temporarily from FTDNA. GEDmatch is a great analysis tool and includes uploads from other testing companies for your access to more matches. Do not be overwhelmed. It is fun.
    GEDmatch sounds very interesting and helpful. I think the first thing I will do is set up my GEDCOM and upload it to FTDNA. Then I will follow through with my cousin matches from my Family Finder results. Then move on to GEDmatch. In my mind at least that seems to be a logical progression, yet, I am always open to suggestions.

Thank you once again. **(;>))

Leave a comment:

• Biblioteque
    replied
    Dust: Also, upload your dna test results to GEDmatch (google the site, study it, and it is self-explanatory). They might not be taking uploads temporarily from FTDNA. GEDmatch is a great analysis tool and includes uploads from other testing companies for your access to more matches. Do not be overwhelmed. It is fun.

Leave a comment:

• Dust
    replied
    Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
    Dust,

You asked, "Thanks MMaddi, that was helpful. Now, How exactly to I go about contacting them via FTDNA website?"

Go into your FTDNA account and go to your Family Finder matches page. Click on the name of any of your matches. You'll see that a pop-up box appears with the person's e-mail address and whatever surnames the person has listed. There's also an icon below the person's name which will show you their family tree, if they've uploaded one to FTDNA. Click on the icon to see their family tree.
    Thank you. That will get me started. **(;>))

Leave a comment:

• MMaddi
    replied
    Dust,

You asked, "Thanks MMaddi, that was helpful. Now, How exactly to I go about contacting them via FTDNA website?"

Go into your FTDNA account and go to your Family Finder matches page. Click on the name of any of your matches. You'll see that a pop-up box appears with the person's e-mail address and whatever surnames the person has listed. There's also an icon below the person's name which will show you their family tree, if they've uploaded one to FTDNA. Click on the icon to see their family tree.

Leave a comment:

• Dust
    replied
    You have done well to go back to about 1800, but unfortunately many of us get stuck at about that same timeframe, for reasons having to do with poor or completely absent records. So, do not place your expectations too high. But I wish you the best of good luck in your pursuit!
    Thank you Tourist...

Leave a comment:

• Tourist
    replied
    The work that I have done takes me back to about 1800. I would like to continue beyond that.
    You have done well to go back to about 1800, but unfortunately many of us get stuck at about that same timeframe, for reasons having to do with poor or completely absent records. So, do not place your expectations too high. But I wish you the best of good luck in your pursuit!

Leave a comment:

• Dust
    replied
    Originally posted by JohnG View Post
    Once you have at least some of your objectives, you can start looking at the matches with those in mind. For me that does not always mean looking at the closest.

Some examples: Who were my great great grandmother Elizabeth McNutt's parents? I used the filter by surname and tried many spellings and found some MacNutts and McNitts and other variants. One is definitely a 4th cousin and one other seems to be an 8th cousin. And a match in common with that 8th cousin found another 8th cousin.

This shows why putting up your surnames and family tree is a good idea. I have also learned to find out the married names of my great and great great aunts, 2nd cousins, etc.

Also, since I am looking for 4th to 8th cousins, they will be unlikely to be the top of my match list.

If I was looking for the grandchildren of my great uncle Herman, my second cousins, I would looking at near matches.

If I want to work out if my 7th great grandmother might have been Norwegian, I am looking for very distant matches from Norway but in common with my Danish 5th cousin. So far three candidates and a narrow region of Norway to look at. I put Norway and some variants in the surname filter to work on this.
    Interesting JohnG, thanks for the info. I will be working to create a GEDCOM. The work that I have done takes me back to about 1800. I would like to continue beyond that.

As a sideline, I would also like to find my American Indian connection. Family lore points to John Jolly, a mixed blood chief of the Cherokees. My family finder does connect me to the name Jolly, and also to other names important in Cherokee history such as, Benge, Hicks, Ross, Fields, and others. These tend to be in the 5th cousin range.

Most of the work I have done is on my Mother's bloodline. It does help to have the assistance from persons on the forum. Thanks.

Dust

Leave a comment:

• Dust
    replied
    Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
    With 300 matches, you probably want to start contacting the closest matches first and expand out from there. For instance, you're probably more interested in contacting someone FTDNA estimates as a 2nd-4th cousin over someone who's estimated to be a more distant cousin.

Another strategy is to look for surnames listed by your matches that you have in your tree. That may indicate that the connection may be through an ancestor who had that surname. Also, if matches have trees uploaded to FTDNA, look for lines in their tree that have ancestral locations that match locations in your tree. For instance, if a match has an ancestor from Podunk and so do you, that would be an interesting match to contact.

Thanks MMaddi, that was helpful. Now, How exactly to I go about contacting them via FTDNA website?

In other words, concentrate on contacting matches who have some clues in the information they've given that may connect them to you.

Leave a comment:

• JohnG
    replied
    Once you have at least some of your objectives, you can start looking at the matches with those in mind. For me that does not always mean looking at the closest.

Some examples: Who were my great great grandmother Elizabeth McNutt's parents? I used the filter by surname and tried many spellings and found some MacNutts and McNitts and other variants. One is definitely a 4th cousin and one other seems to be an 8th cousin. And a match in common with that 8th cousin found another 8th cousin.

This shows why putting up your surnames and family tree is a good idea. I have also learned to find out the married names of my great and great great aunts, 2nd cousins, etc.

Also, since I am looking for 4th to 8th cousins, they will be unlikely to be the top of my match list.

If I was looking for the grandchildren of my great uncle Herman, my second cousins, I would looking at near matches.

If I want to work out if my 7th great grandmother might have been Norwegian, I am looking for very distant matches from Norway but in common with my Danish 5th cousin. So far three candidates and a narrow region of Norway to look at. I put Norway and some variants in the surname filter to work on this.

Leave a comment:

• S9 H9
    replied
    Hi Marietta, thank you for the response. I do have a tree that goes back to the 1800's. I have not yet formalized it into a digital tree. How would I go about that and where? Any ideas? Thanks.

Dust
    There are several commercial, and some free, software for computerizing a family history database, for creating graphics, and most importantly creating what is known as a GEDCOM file:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEDCOM

In your match list here you will see some people with little green inverted trees - they have uploaded gedcoms of their family history. When you create a digital family tree with whatever means you chose, eventually you'll want to create a gedcom and upload it.

I will reemphasize what others have written: you need to define your objectives. E.g., is there some great great grandparent for whom you are looking? Are you trying to find lost siblings? And so forth.

Leave a comment:

• MMaddi
    replied
    Hi Rivergirl, I have just had the Family Finder test so far, and need to know what to do with the results and why.
    With 300 matches, you probably want to start contacting the closest matches first and expand out from there. For instance, you're probably more interested in contacting someone FTDNA estimates as a 2nd-4th cousin over someone who's estimated to be a more distant cousin.

Another strategy is to look for surnames listed by your matches that you have in your tree. That may indicate that the connection may be through an ancestor who had that surname. Also, if matches have trees uploaded to FTDNA, look for lines in their tree that have ancestral locations that match locations in your tree. For instance, if a match has an ancestor from Podunk and so do you, that would be an interesting match to contact.

In other words, concentrate on contacting matches who have some clues in the information they've given that may connect them to you.

Leave a comment:

• Dust
    replied
    Hi Dust,

I agree with rivergirl, that you need to tell us more about the level of testing that you have undergone. For instance, a 12 marker test only proves that you are a human, but a 37 or a 67 marker test can be much more definitive.

And then there are quite a few people who have tested but who prefer to not communicate or speak with anybody about their test results. That is unfortunate, but that is the reality.

So, what have you done, to what degree of testing have you completed?

Best,
    Doug
    Thanks Doug, I have only taken the Family Finder test thus far and would like to know what to do with the results etc., as described in my original post. There are many questions. I have read enough to understand that this is a complex subject so I'm taking it one step at a time. Once I have made use of the family finder info then I will think about the next step and try to advance in understanding. Thanks.

Dust

Leave a comment:

Working...
X