Clarification Needed for Making Contact With Matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dust,

You asked, "Thanks MMaddi, that was helpful. Now, How exactly to I go about contacting them via FTDNA website?"

Go into your FTDNA account and go to your Family Finder matches page. Click on the name of any of your matches. You'll see that a pop-up box appears with the person's e-mail address and whatever surnames the person has listed. There's also an icon below the person's name which will show you their family tree, if they've uploaded one to FTDNA. Click on the icon to see their family tree.

Comment

Originally posted by MMaddi View Post
      Dust,

You asked, "Thanks MMaddi, that was helpful. Now, How exactly to I go about contacting them via FTDNA website?"

Go into your FTDNA account and go to your Family Finder matches page. Click on the name of any of your matches. You'll see that a pop-up box appears with the person's e-mail address and whatever surnames the person has listed. There's also an icon below the person's name which will show you their family tree, if they've uploaded one to FTDNA. Click on the icon to see their family tree.
      Thank you. That will get me started. **(;>))

Comment

Dust: Also, upload your dna test results to GEDmatch (google the site, study it, and it is self-explanatory). They might not be taking uploads temporarily from FTDNA. GEDmatch is a great analysis tool and includes uploads from other testing companies for your access to more matches. Do not be overwhelmed. It is fun.

Comment

Originally posted by marietta View Post
          Dust: Also, upload your dna test results to GEDmatch (google the site, study it, and it is self-explanatory). They might not be taking uploads temporarily from FTDNA. GEDmatch is a great analysis tool and includes uploads from other testing companies for your access to more matches. Do not be overwhelmed. It is fun.
          GEDmatch sounds very interesting and helpful. I think the first thing I will do is set up my GEDCOM and upload it to FTDNA. Then I will follow through with my cousin matches from my Family Finder results. Then move on to GEDmatch. In my mind at least that seems to be a logical progression, yet, I am always open to suggestions.

Thank you once again. **(;>))

Comment

Hi Dust,

You mentioned being a newbie, but all of us started as newbies. And many of the population of the various DNA projects here were once newbies, too, but they are now very knowledgeable contributors. So, as time goes along you will become much more knowledgeable, too. Just keep at it!

I look forward to seeing more of you in the future.

Best regards,

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Tourist View Post
              Hi Dust,

You mentioned being a newbie, but all of us started as newbies. And many of the population of the various DNA projects here were once newbies, too, but they are now very knowledgeable contributors. So, as time goes along you will become much more knowledgeable, too. Just keep at it!

I look forward to seeing more of you in the future.

Best regards,

Doug
              Thank you Doug. I appreciate the insight and encouragement. Yes, I will continue to try to learn and perhaps I too will become a Treebe.

Dust

Comment

Originally posted by Dust View Post
                Yes, I will continue to try to learn and perhaps I too will become a Treebe.
                Your family came from somewhere, and maybe my family came from somewhere far different than yours. But we each can focus on just where our families came from. And a study of that allows each of us to become "experts" about our families.

Yes, for both you and I, this is the beginning of a long term project.

Comment

Working...
                X