Freezing Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezing Weather

Will kits shipped to areas having extended periods of freezing weather be damaged if the kit remains in an outside mail box for a few days? I'm talking about areas where the high may be well below freezing.

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
    Will kits shipped to areas having extended periods of freezing weather be damaged if the kit remains in an outside mail box for a few days? I'm talking about areas where the high may be well below freezing.
    Hi,

I will check with Dr. Connie when she gets in.

Comment

Hi,

Dr. Connie says that the vials and samples should be OK for even those who live in the northern part of Canada.

Originally posted by Rebekah Canada View Post
      Hi,

I will check with Dr. Connie when she gets in.

Comment

THE OTHER EXTREME - HOT WEATHER

Rebekah -

What about the other extreme? I ordered an "extra" Kit sent to my home in Feb. 2013. It has sat in a drawer in my storage room since -- including some /many days this past summer when the inside temperature was in the 90's (hopefully not hotter).

I know I have read that Kits can sit for at least 5 years and still be fine -- but are they heat sensitive / can that have hurt the Kit?

A relative has finally said she "thinks she will do it" if I visit her and bring the kit with me and all she has to do is rub her cheek. The Test ordered is Family Finder. I am planning to upgrade later to FMS as well (she is interested in that ancestor also, which is what inspired her to finally think she is willing).

Can I use that Kit? Or what should I do?

Comment

Hi,

My dearest father, left his DNA kit in a box in an aluminum shed for 2 years before using it. Northern Californian gets above 115 F (46 C) in the shade for several weeks every year. Goodness knows how hot it got inside that box inside the shed.

The kit worked fine. It turned out my father was just human enough to have Family Finder and an mtDNA full sequence work.

Use your kits, loobster. All should be well.
          Originally posted by loobster View Post
          Rebekah -

What about the other extreme? I ordered an "extra" Kit sent to my home in Feb. 2013. It has sat in a drawer in my storage room since -- including some /many days this past summer when the inside temperature was in the 90's (hopefully not hotter). ...

Comment

Working...
          X