Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Total newbie - How to understand Haplogroup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total newbie - How to understand Haplogroup?

Hi folks!
    I am very New and newbie on all dna related stuff, quite frankly I find it extremely complicated. Hopefully I can learn more on this forum?

To start With my haplygroup is G-M201 (what does this mean?), and when I click on the link for haplogroup tree, this comes up as presumed positive:
    PS94 ^L154 ^P257 ^L204 ^L240 ^M201 + (M201 is confirmed, the others are presumed positive).

What does those other presumed ones mean, and what should I do further on? I have ordered som more tests. Will know more in February.

Thanx for any kind of advice, and what to do further!
    Cheers!
    Klaus

FTDNA compares your Y-DNA STR results to results in their database and predict your Haplogroup. The presumed positive SNPs are the one they presume you would test positive for if you had a SNP test for them. Since you have one confirmed SNP you ordered that SNP test or they tested you for that one SNP (for free) to be able to predict your Haplogroup. They provide the free SNP test as part of their assurance program.

If you look at http://www.isogg.org/tree/ISOGG_HapgrpG.html you'll see that SNP M201 is one of the defining SNPs for Haplogroup G. I believe all of the SNPs you are confirmed or presumed positive for are listed at the top of G branch of the Haplotree shown on your myFTDNA site.

Comment

thanx

Hi again!
      Thanx for your reply, I guess I just have to accept that I am indeed very newbie to it all. Guess I'll learn more with time.

Another thing I find difficult to understand, is what the different DYS markers stand for:

Marker

DYS393

DYS390

DYS19**

DYS391

DYS385

DYS426

DYS388

DYS439

DYS389I

DYS392

DYS389II***

Value
      13 22 16 10 14-14 11 12 11 12 11 28

What does for instance DYS393 stand for? Where can I read should a table that explains in normal words what all these DYS categories mean?

Thanx!
      Klaus

Comment

Originally posted by onni74 View Post
        Hi again!
        Thanx for your reply, I guess I just have to accept that I am indeed very newbie to it all. Guess I'll learn more with time.

Another thing I find difficult to understand, is what the different DYS markers stand for:...

What does for instance DYS393 stand for? Where can I read should a table that explains in normal words what all these DYS categories mean?

Thanx!
        Klaus
        Hi Klaus,

It is rather idiosyncratic. Please see this FAQ.
        http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/answers.aspx?id=9#961

Comment

Thanx

Thanx for your reply.
          Just have to read up.
          K.

Comment

Hi onni74,

You are a human, and you go for DNA resting. But the DNA testing then assigns a bunch of seemingly meaningless letters and numbers to designate just what sort of a human you could be. OK, get used to it. That is what happens to all of us who go for DNA testing. But FTDNA is a high quality testing company, and the letters and numbers that it assigns to you are meaningful and permanent.

Now the thing is to search for others who have your same letters and numbers.

Comment

Working...
            X