FTDNA Y-DNA - Ancestral Origins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTDNA Y-DNA - Ancestral Origins

Hi, Ive had some results come back at the FTDNA website. Under the 37 marker of the YDNA ancestral origins it has the following percentages. Can anyone explain those to me please?

37 Marker
    Genetic Distance -2
    Country Match Total Country Total Percentage
    England 1 21218 < 0.1 %

Genetic Distance -4
    England 2 21218 < 0.1 %
    Scotland 1 10557 < 0.1 %

It means that your first match on 37 markers (with a genetic distance of 2) has STR markers that constitutes less than 0.1 % of the results of the 37 markers from England. Etc.

Comment

Thanks, after seeing other people post that they had 80% "English" DNA I wondered why mine results were < 0.1%

Comment

Originally posted by Svein View Post
        It means that your first match on 37 markers (with a genetic distance of 2) has STR markers that constitutes less than 0.1 % of the results of the 37 markers from England. Etc.
        This isn't quite correct.

The percentages on the Ancestral Origins page tell you how many people you match who reported that specific ancestral country of origin, compared to the total number of number of people who tested at that level and reported that country of origin.

So, the original poster has this:

37 Marker
        Genetic Distance -2
        England 1 21218 < 0.1 %

Country = England: A country of origin reported by his matches.
        Match Total = 1: He matches one person at the 37 GD2 level who reported England.
        Country Total = 21218: There are a total of 21218 people in the Family Tree DNA database who took the 37-marker test and reported England as country of origin.
        Percentage = < 0.1%: 1 is less than .1% of 21218

Elise

Comment

Originally posted by efgen View Post
          This isn't quite correct.

The percentages on the Ancestral Origins page tell you how many people you match who reported that specific ancestral country of origin, compared to the total number of number of people who tested at that level and reported that country of origin.

So, the original poster has this:

37 Marker
          Genetic Distance -2
          England 1 21218 < 0.1 %

Country = England: A country of origin reported by his matches.
          Match Total = 1: He matches one person at the 37 GD2 level who reported England.
          Country Total = 21218: There are a total of 21218 people in the Family Tree DNA database who took the 37-marker test and reported England as country of origin.
          Percentage = < 0.1%: 1 is less than .1% of 21218

Elise
          Well, I think I said just that, but in other words.

Comment

Working...
          X