R1b Curious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R1b Curious

To all those R1b's out there are you getting a lot of remote locations in your REO and Haplogroup matches. I know this is the most popular Haplogroup in Europe but beside your obvious England, Scotland and Ireland. What else is coming up. Just curious.

I have matches in About 10 from Spain, Couple from Italy, Ecuador, Mexico, Chile, One China (Central Asian Uygur), Couple of Russia Native Siberian, One China (Chinese Muslim), 2 Syria Arabs, 10 Polynesia and all over Europe.

Is this typical R1b? I understand were talking 40K years ago but good lord these people got around and then settled in high numbers in Western Europe.

From just looking at the matches and mutations you can get a probable guess the R1b originated somewhere in the Middle East/Western Asia and migrated mostly West and some East.

Blackwolf

Eastern Europe

Lots of possiibilities! I am from Romania and my paternal ancestor came from the SW part of Romania (according to the daco-roman continuity theory) or from the Balkans (according to others). However, if you go back only 2,000 years ago you get into the Roman Empire, where people moved around with the troops or administration, or as colonists and veterans. It was pretty much a melting pot.

Comment

Hi there!

So are you saying that most R1b matches should be in Western Europe and the Americas and not in Western Asia-Middle East-Russia? Polynesia is obivious from mixed European.

Seems mine go from West and Central Asia to Russia to Middle East to East Europe to finally England, where my highest matches show to be from but this may be because a lot of people have tested where the origin was from England. The Russian-Syrian-China Central Asia are probably from trade routes but they may go way way back also.

What I really wanted to learn is do the majority of R1b's show this kind of distribution?

Comment

Heres the REO the Haplogroup is even more diverse. Would like to know if most R1b in the US today are this diverse in the country of origin REO and Haplogroup today so I can get a better understanding for research on the possibility of migration and origin. I agree during the Roman Empire 2000K ago several migrations of whole peoples occurred but they could have been from any Haplogroup.

England (6466)

Ireland (2998)

United Kingdom (1978)

Unknown Origin

One Step Mutations

Country (Number of Entries)
        Comment
        Your Matches

British Isles (297)

Denmark (141)

England (6466)

Germany (2411)

Great Britain (390)

Ireland (2998)

Scotland (2594)

Spain (564)

United Kingdom (1978)

Unknown Origin

Two Step Mutations

Country (Number of Entries)
        Comment
        Your Matches

Austria (105)

Azores (13)

Barbados (3)

British Isles (297)

Chile (13)

Croatia (33)

Czech Republic (46)

Denmark (141)

Ecuador (6)

England (6466)

France (674)

Germany (2411)

Germany (2411)
        Beindersheim, Pfaltz

Great Britain (390)

Hungary (192)

Iceland (122)

Ireland (2998)

Italy (513)

Lithuania (219)

Mexico (261)

Netherlands (287)

New Zealand (12)

Norway (191)

Poland (584)
        Ashkenazi

Polynesia (97)
        European admixture

Polynesia (97)
        Polynesian (European admixture)

Russia (1432)

Russia (1432)
        Ashkenazi

Russia (1432)
        Native Siberian

Scotland (2594)

Shetland (133)

Spain (564)

Sweden (270)

Switzerland (310)

Ukraine (299)

United Kingdom (1978)

United States (710)

Unknown Origin

Wales (449)

Comment

Looks alot like my REO except I have no matches.

Comment

Exact matches

Villicus,

I think I got lucky with the exact matches, most of them are from one family. Looking at DYS 390=24 391=10 is not that rare and is what they call the "Scot" R1b but....DYS 389II=27 is rare in R1b. Don't know if DYS 389II mutates a lot, if it doesn't it might lead to something but not sure since other markers mutate it could be anywhere with R1b. People move and The oral history is my family says Ireland and Italian but the surnames have changed so I am trying to determine particualry if this is Scotch-Irish R1b variety or possible some wierd Spanish-Italian R1b??? Leaning to the Scotch-English-Irish.

http://worldfamilies.net/Tools/Obser...cies-Tarin.pdf

Comment

It's one helluva hunt though isn't it? My family oral history, which there isn't much of, says we are of German origin. My paper trail and now my DNA says different which has not been too popular with some. What is throwing me for a loop is my results at 385 a,b which are 12, 13. Don't know if these are fast mutators or not, but they seem to be more prevalent around Kazakhstan. I can't rely on surname data in paper research as I have found over 20 different spellings of my last name so far and some are very different. Oh well....the hunt goes on. Good luck

Comment

It is a tough hunt, because there are SO MANY different surnames and variations that don't even resemble each other and with me and the matches there seems to be other stuff like this.

Switzerland (310)

10.65% I match in the REO

while with England

England (6466)

it is only 1.12% match in the REO

So Switzerland has a higher percentage in one step matches than any other. but you also have some of these.

Croatia (33)

Czech Republic (46)

Austria (105)

Italy (513)

Lithuania (219)

and they are more than Germany and France.

In theory It looks more and more like possible Roman mercenary Gaul R1b or some kind of "Celt" invader R1b from the East. Good luck, I think it will be a while before we know more answers

Comment

R1b...the most populous haplogroup by multitudes...the most difficult to identify origins due to its diversty...<sigh> I too, share this most common classification. I have boatloads of matches:

Exact Matches
                  -------------------------
                  Unknown Origin: 20
                  England (6479): 13
                  Germany (2423): 4
                  United Kingdom (1985): 3
                  Ireland (3002): 3
                  Scotland (2603): 2
                  Denmark (144): 1
                  British Isles (297): 1
                  Italy (514) - Sicily: 1
                  United States (712): 1
                  Germany (2423) - Alsace: 1

The "Unknown Origin" group probably primarily consists of American R1b types (like me) who cannot trace their lineage back to their paternal ancestor who immigrated to the new world. My results sort of mirror the pattern of conquest from Europe to the British Isles. None of my matches bear my surname.

I recently upgraded my Y-DNA results to 37-marker which blew all 12-marker matches out of the water. The closest match is now 31 out of 37 markers which means that person and I probably shared the same paternal ancestor before the origin of surnames.

I recently conjured up a very distant cousin through genealogical research who shares the same surname as I and whose ggg-grandfather should be the same as my ggg-grandfather. I paid for his test which left me a sad wallet. If his results match mine at least 11 for 12, I will also pay to upgrade his results to 37-marker. I suppose for now, my goal is merely to prove that FT-DNA works!

According to my genealogical research in concert with my DNA REOs, I think I am English, but who knows...

LS

Comment

12 Marker Y-DNA – John Giovanni Raciti - Exact Matches

12 Marker Y-DNA – John Giovanni Raciti - Exact Matches

R1B

DYS393 = 13
                    DYS19/394 = 14
                    DYS391 = 11
                    DYS439 = 12
                    DYS389-1 = 13
                    DYS389-2 = 16/29
                    DYS388 = 12
                    DYS390 = 24
                    DYS426 = 12
                    DYS385a = 11
                    DYS385b = 14
                    DYS392 = 13

Exact Population Matches:

Spain = 6%
                    Italy = 6%
                    Netherlands = 6%
                    Wales = 6%
                    Ireland = 5%
                    Great Britain = 4%
                    British Isles = 4%
                    Belgium = 4%
                    France = 3%

Comment

Originally posted by Lost-Sheep
                      R1b...the most populous haplogroup by multitudes...the most difficult to identify origins due to its diversty...<sigh> I too, share this most common classification. I have boatloads of matches:

Exact Matches
                      -------------------------
                      Unknown Origin: 20
                      England (6479): 13
                      Germany (2423): 4
                      United Kingdom (1985): 3
                      Ireland (3002): 3
                      Scotland (2603): 2
                      Denmark (144): 1
                      British Isles (297): 1
                      Italy (514) - Sicily: 1
                      United States (712): 1
                      Germany (2423) - Alsace: 1

The "Unknown Origin" group probably primarily consists of American R1b types (like me) who cannot trace their lineage back to their paternal ancestor who immigrated to the new world. My results sort of mirror the pattern of conquest from Europe to the British Isles. None of my matches bear my surname.

I recently upgraded my Y-DNA results to 37-marker which blew all 12-marker matches out of the water. The closest match is now 31 out of 37 markers which means that person and I probably shared the same paternal ancestor before the origin of surnames.

I recently conjured up a very distant cousin through genealogical research who shares the same surname as I and whose ggg-grandfather should be the same as my ggg-grandfather. I paid for his test which left me a sad wallet. If his results match mine at least 11 for 12, I will also pay to upgrade his results to 37-marker. I suppose for now, my goal is merely to prove that FT-DNA works!

According to my genealogical research in concert with my DNA REOs, I think I am English, but who knows...

LS

I would have to say that at this point in time that there is no middle ground at all, at least as far as R1b is concerned. The only thing that can be determined is very very near relative or..........very very ancient origin and that is way up in the air anyway. Perhaps as DNA improves there will be more in terms of ancestry origin by nation. As of now, nothing, but possible theory and even more the theory has to be independent to the individual because there are probably several varieties of R1b

Comment

Johnraciti, I am R1b and an exact match of you at 12 markers. I did the yDNA 25 and I am upgrading to 37 due to some matches in a different surname. What I have been told by one of the group managers is that my values are modal for the haplotype and therefore can show false matches at the 12 marker level.
                        Going into this I was expecting to find Native American and African ancestry. Instead I've found European ancestry in both the yDNA and mtDNA tests.

Comment

R1b - Sicilian

My Family Tree DNA Results:

Exact Matches

Wales 6%
                          British Isles 5%
                          Netherlands 5%

One Step Mutations

Wales 14%
                          British Isles 13%
                          Ireland 13%
                          France 12%
                          England 11%
                          Great Britain 11%
                          Scotland 11%
                          Spain 11%
                          Netherlands 10%
                          Sweden 10%
                          Switzerland 10%
                          United Kingdom 10%

Two Step Mutations

Great Britain 21%
                          Scotland 19%
                          England 17%
                          United Kingdom 17%
                          Wales 16%
                          Ireland 16%
                          France 15%

My Family Tree DNA results show a higher percentage indicating that I am from the North Sea-R1b group.

I think the following contenders mentioned before in the forum: “The Great Silk Road”, Christian crusades, Norman conquests and Celtic slaves – could have lead my blood to Sicily.

Thanks to Carlo V – it has been hard to get records, any evidence other than the Norman buildings that stand in Randazzo CT. I am grateful that the street are named after us: Caggegi & Zingali. We are the "Fair" tribe in the village.

I can walk into an Irish pub at The Rocks in Sydney - and be accepted by Celts – when they take a closer look – they see a Welshman.

At times people see a Greek amongst other Sicilians.

I feel I’m safe to say I look French so I am Norman.

Comment

Norman?

Originally posted by johnraciti
                            I feel I’m safe to say I look French so I am Norman.
                            It seems like the science can barely scratch the surface for "cultures of origin" if there really is such a thing. Norman would be tough because it's Norse and Latin (French, etc.) on a linguistic level, on genetic level who knows?? I think I'm a New Englander because my great great great grand pappy looks white and landed his ship in Boston.

Comment

I have searched for geneology pages on the net with my surname. I then look for a contact email address and send them an email inviting them to join the Family DNA Project.

We definately need more participants.

How did you find out about these Family DNA Projects? I found out after joining National Geo's Genographic Project. I look around geneology sites and it is hard to find links to any dna projects?

Comment

Working...
                              X