How significant 67 marker GD 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How significant 67 marker GD 3?

I have a level 67 match genetic distance 3. How significant of a match is that? Would it typically be considered a good match or is that level fairly common? It has the same surname. He is genetic distance of 2 at level 37.
    Last edited by Footprints; 21 December 2013, 02:00 PM.

Probably about 1 - 11 generations back

Originally posted by Footprints View Post
    I have a level 67 match genetic distance 3. How significant of a match is that? Would it typically be considered a good match or is that level fairly common? It has the same surname.

Comment

significant, I think

I took part in a surname project, and at 67 markers I have 6 matches. I have two 5th cousin matches from the same common ancestor and one is a GD of 1 and the other a GD of 4.

I have one at 2 and one at 4 that are 8th and 9th cousins.

These all come from a known immigrant ancestor who was born in 1618.

I have two matches at a GD of 5 that come from an older branch with genealogy back to 1550, they precede the immigrant and have the same surname. They match my GD 1 5th cousin more closely and the project calculated that my 5th cousin was the one closest to the immigrant ancestor.

So I would say a distance of 3 at 67 markers could be anything from 2nd cousin to 11th. I have looked at a couple other lines and 4th and 5th and 6th cousins were 2-4 off in those.

Comment

I should have mentioned that one father and son tested in the project and were a GD of 1 apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Footprints View Post
          I have a level 67 match genetic distance 3. How significant of a match is that?
          A GD of 3 at 67 markers is definitely worth considering. That match might not indicate a family relative, although it could, but that close of a match should not be ignored. If nothing else, that close of a match indicates that both of your families come from the same region.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnG View Post
            I took part in a surname project, and at 67 markers I have 6 matches. I have two 5th cousin matches from the same common ancestor and one is a GD of 1 and the other a GD of 4.

I have one at 2 and one at 4 that are 8th and 9th cousins.

These all come from a known immigrant ancestor who was born in 1618.

I have two matches at a GD of 5 that come from an older branch with genealogy back to 1550, they precede the immigrant and have the same surname. They match my GD 1 5th cousin more closely and the project calculated that my 5th cousin was the one closest to the immigrant ancestor.

So I would say a distance of 3 at 67 markers could be anything from 2nd cousin to 11th. I have looked at a couple other lines and 4th and 5th and 6th cousins were 2-4 off in those.
            Thank you so much for that JohnG. And thank you as well @Footprints for the thread. This question has been very much on my mind the past few days. My brother's 67 marker results are finally in. He has no 0 step matches. He has three matches at a GD of 3. Though no common surname, hopefully in the future we can all find a common ancestor.

Comment

Working...
            X