Testing sons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing sons

I am trying to determine why should I test my grown sons?

I am a female who has down my autosomal DNA with FTDNA. I already have a long direct Swedish line of my mothers mothers etc. line through genealogy although not genetics. Additionally we have also done my husband's YDNA. So I am trying to understand what we would gain to do my sons YDNA. I may do my husbands autosomal soon.

Therefore what information is there to gain in doing the Ydna or autosomal of my sons...since I think all the information can be determined though the testing me or my husband. Is there any reason at all? What can possibly be gained? The only possible Thing I can think of is that maybe we can see which chromosomes son A inherited and which chromosomes son B got from each parent. Anything else at all?

There is no reason to do children once you've done the parents since it won't give you any new information.
    Last edited by Rebekah Canada; 16 December 2013, 02:23 AM. Reason: Advertising for a competing company.

Comment

Originally posted by Taed View Post
      There is no reason to do children once you've done the parents since it won't give you any new information.

However, at 23andMe, there is useful medical-related information which could be gathered in such a case.
      23andMe is in a regulatory fight with the FDA. There's at least one thread here that discusses that.

In order to sort out their future ability to provide medical-related information, 23andMe has announced that all kits purchased on Nov. 22 or thereafter will not be given any medical-related information. It's not clear if or when 23andMe will resume giving new customers medical-related information.

Comment

Curiosity could be a reason to test sons-- to see how they inherited their parents's dna.

Comment

Working...
        X