Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i'm just confused, can someone help,please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eternitat
    replied
    Cindy- I have seen that page. I wonder if that is the one that vraatyah says is not reliable.

Also, I checked the other genealogy page. I could not find the earliest ancestor, nor my grandmother, nor my mother, nor myself. I checked my father's grandmother- born in a different country- and she was not there either.

Leave a comment:

• Cindy
    replied
    Eternitat,

There's a Euro-DNA Test that can give you at least some of the information you're looking for on your European ancestry. (www.ancestrybydna.com).

Leave a comment:

• Eternitat
    replied
    I wish this test would say where in Europe. If it would pinpoint the regions where my grandfather's family came from. Just how much Jewish and Arabic is in me. And how much German as well. And how much Latin, and Visigoth, and everything else that could have led to me.

Leave a comment:

• Cindy
    replied
    Hi Eternitat,

It sounds like all of your ancestors were from Europe, or away from the America's, so the Native American percentage test would probably not help you at all in your search for Native American ancestry. You would need to have a full blooded Native American great-grandparent to get 12 percent yourself.

Leave a comment:

• Eternitat
    replied
    So you think it is not worth it then?

My mother identifies herself as Hispanic/Latina, but says my brother and I are white. We do take after our father- me after father's mother (in almost every way- coloring, build, nose, etc.), brother after father's father (except for hair/eye color and perhaps weight). Brother's personality is more down to earth like mother's and likes the hometown and has the local Caribbean Spanish accent my mother and her family speak with. My personality is more head in the clouds like father's (but mine is even more so) and I have his thick Royal Academy Spanish accent.

Mother and maternal Grandmother's identity is that of Puerto Rican women. Father's identity is that of a Majorcan Catalan. I consider myself to be as American as apple pie, and when prodded for specifics I say Spanish American and state where I am from. Nobody ever believes I'm from PR- though there are some trends (nearly 100% guessing a Mediterranean country for looks, either generic Spanish accent or Gaelic brogue for voice), I have gotten some strange guesses for either (and this is taking into account that I do consider Germany to be accurate due to my paternal grandmother's ancestors).

Leave a comment:

• vraatyah
    replied
    Originally posted by Eternitat
    When I get more money saved, I do want to get the ancestry percentage test.
    which'll endow you with fake NA ancestry of, say, 20%, or to the contrary, it may say you are 100% European which is not far from being right.

Leave a comment:

• Eternitat
    replied
    It still can give you an identity crisis. That the rest of your ancestors do not matter at all, regardless of who or what they were. That no matter what you look like- or what you FEEL like (since I never really clicked with my hometown and very much prefer the mainstream USA culture)- only that DNA segment counts in what you are.

On the other hand, being a blue blooded noble is SO overrated. And if I truly have Native American ancestry, I wish she had given me thicker hair because mine is very baby fine and never stays in place. I have nothing against Native American Indians- best friend is 1/32nd Lumbee, only person I have been in love with is at least 1/16th American Indian and I always knew he was, etc.- and find some cultures such as the Maya to be quite fascinating due to their scientific and mathematical achievements.

When I get more money saved, I do want to get the ancestry percentage test.

Leave a comment:

• dentate
    replied
    Tinkerbell,

Vraatyah is right. You need to read up on this before you take the test. There is plenty of material on FTDNA's site and elsewhere on the internet. Try the FAQ or library sections here for a start.

mtDNA tells you about only your mother's mother's mother's mother's mother... etc. etc. It is a "tracer" that gives some idea of what population her ancestors came from along that line, many thousands of years ago. If there were 1000 people living 1000 years ago who were your ancestors, the test you just took gives you information about 1 of those people and says nothing about the other 999.

In your case, however, the test is informative. It says that, like many Hispanics, you have Native American ancestry along that maternal line. If a Conquistador married an Aztec woman, and their daughter became your gggggrandmother, you would see this result even if every other ancestor were a blue-blood noble from the court of Castile. If you have brothers, uncles, or other male relatives, you can test the male to male to male to male line by having them tested for Y DNA. That will more likely turn up a result that supports Spanish ancestry, but still will not prove it. There are certain male Y DNA types that are common in Spain, but none that are unique to it the way your own mtDNA is unique to Native Americans. And even after that test, you will know about 2 of the 1000 people, and nothing about the others.

There are other tests that claim to be able to tell you the percentage of your ancestry that comes from Native Americans, Asians, Europeans, or Africans, but they are notoriously unreliable. That is the state of the art at this point.

Leave a comment:

• Eternitat
    replied
    I checked the Uppsala University database, and it did reveal a Canary Islands person with my 5 mutations. Various papers did reveal that historic graves and current living people did have Haplogroup A mitochondriae. But this can be explained due to back migrations.

What I am confused about is that the original Taino population did NOT have the Haplogroup A, yet some today (both who identify themselves as the modern Taino and some who do not seem to have any Indian blood) have it.

Leave a comment:

• Eternitat
    replied
    Back migrations mean that a descendant of colonists and/or natives moved to the mother country.

Nobody knows anything about a potential Indian ancestor. I am just stating what the Genographic project stated. My grandmother was just as surprised as I was. But everyone in the family wondered why was I so curious. Everyone else just takes it for granted the possibility of an Indian ancestor.

Leave a comment:

• vraatyah
    replied
    >Plus one of the modern Taina in Mitosearch does NOT seem to have it

I don't think it's safe to employ mitosearch for such conclusions. BTW, several NA lineages underwent a back transition at this site although it's clear that they are related to NA variants in remaining portion of hvs1-hvs2.

Leave a comment:

• vraatyah
    replied
    >i think i look more like the spanish side cause i'm light-skinned, very light brown hair and green eyes

it's an answer for your question, I think.

>Also, where did you find out about the lack of 16111 mutation? Both Spaniards present at Mitosearch

I never use databases like mitosearch since they contain tons of errors. We have in our lab a collection of 60K sequences published since 1991.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Both Spaniards present at Mitosearch have it- but that could be due to back migrations.
    WHAT DOES BACK MIGRATIONS MEAN?
    Last edited by tinkerbell; 26 November 2005, 09:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Eternitat
    replied
    I agree. I have Caucasoid traits such as deep eye sockets, a fair amount of body hair, fine wavy hair on my head, very light skin, a high nose bridge, etc. Most people think I came straight from Europe or perhaps Israel due to my features. Bottom line- when the police have to interact with me, they refer to me as a "white female". Everybody in the family has those general Caucasoid features. In fact, my matrilineal line are Canarian so they have light hair and sometimes eyes!

Also, where did you find out about the lack of 16111 mutation? Both Spaniards present at Mitosearch have it- but that could be due to back migrations. Plus one of the modern Taina in Mitosearch does NOT seem to have it. Most total matches are from some of the towns surrounding that where my grandmother and her family lived- which are full of descendants of Canarian immigrants. Another person saying she is of Canarian ancestry- and in a different former colony- does have it. So I am confused.
    Last edited by Eternitat; 26 November 2005, 07:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    vraatyah

what you said,"I think, the family history, census records and your physical appearance as well can tell much more about your origin than a thousand of such tests. People take mt test if they are curious about the origin of this particular line and their distant relatives but not for any "racial" issues." i think this is very true. me for example, if you would see me you would never guess i would have native american blood. i know i have some native american in me cause i'm mexican and most mexicans are mixed with native american and spanish blood. but i think i look more like the spanish side cause i'm light-skinned, very light brown hair and green eyes. i highly doubt that most native americans have green eyes and light hair, but who knows.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X