Transferring files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transferring files

Hello, I am new to FTDNA, and look forward to the journey of finding information on my DNA. I want to transfer my file from 23 and Me, to FTDNA, but am having difficulty. The file is a zip file and FTDNA wants it in a .txt file, but I have no idea how to do this. I have Windows Vista. I have now failed twice to upload my file.
    Any help would be good.
    Or perhaps FTDNA can do it for me?
    EG

unzip it

open the zip file and drag the file inside it to the desktop then upload it.

or right click on it and unzip it here there will be a new folder created were ever you have the zip file with the same name open the folder and your file will be there then upload it.

Originally posted by EdinburghGirl View Post
    Hello, I am new to FTDNA, and look forward to the journey of finding information on my DNA. I want to transfer my file from 23 and Me, to FTDNA, but am having difficulty. The file is a zip file and FTDNA wants it in a .txt file, but I have no idea how to do this. I have Windows Vista. I have now failed twice to upload my file.
    Any help would be good.
    Or perhaps FTDNA can do it for me?
    EG

Comment

How Long?

How long does it really take to process? I just uploaded my 23 and me data and it said it would take 2-4 weeks. Why would it take that long to run the data thru their system? It's not like they are retesting the DNA.

Comment

Originally posted by JMSaxby View Post
        How long does it really take to process? I just uploaded my 23 and me data and it said it would take 2-4 weeks. Why would it take that long to run the data thru their system? It's not like they are retesting the DNA.
        Hi,

It is often overnight, but can take longer if there are many samples to be processed by the Family Finder matching program OR one of the other bioinformatics programs that runs on that computer system.

Comment

Patience

JMSaxby: Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebekah Canada View Post
            Hi,

It is often overnight, but can take longer if there are many samples to be processed by the Family Finder matching program OR one of the other bioinformatics programs that runs on that computer system.
            Thanks, I expected a few days but when it said 2-4 weeks I thought that was crazy.

Comment

A suspected relative did a Y-DNA12 on FTDNA a while ago, and has tested at Ancestry. I suggested he transfer Ancestry to FTDNA -- and told of sale price.

Neither he nor I can figure out how he can log in to his Kit and then order the Transfer. It does not show as a choice under Upgrade. HELP!!

Comment

loobster - Given the short time left in the sale, I would suggest emailing or phoning FTDNA ASAP, and explaining exactly what you want to transfer etc.

Comment

Originally posted by loobster View Post
                  A suspected relative did a Y-DNA12 on FTDNA a while ago, and has tested at Ancestry. I suggested he transfer Ancestry to FTDNA -- and told of sale price.

Neither he nor I can figure out how he can log in to his Kit and then order the Transfer. It does not show as a choice under Upgrade. HELP!!
                  Click on the orange "order upgrade" then select "order special offers" and there will be a drop down to select the DNA transfer.

And BTW I am still waiting for my transferred data to be processed

Comment

Working...
                  X