Another test or Wait and see?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another test or Wait and see?

I used the dna tests to try and solve some brick walls and find connections however...
    On My Father's side.
    1. My brother did the y-dna test (37) and got 2 matches.
    2. I (female) did the family finder and got mostly distant matches with no surnames that I recognize.

On my mothers side
    Next my cousin (grandson of my mothers' brother). He is the only male left in that line. Also did the y-dna (37). And, he matches -- many, many but no one with the same surname as his (he's not adopted.).

Question: a. Would Family finder test for my brother show anything in my genealogy search more than we already have since I did the test?

b. Would my cousin doing the family finder be for any advantage? Since it seems like it might muddle things up because it would also include his mother's side... maybe I'm confusing myself.
    Thanks for any insights as to something that may improve my chances of breaking down walls would be helpful.

Originally posted by jannie View Post
    I used the dna tests to try and solve some brick walls and find connections however...
    On My Father's side.
    1. My brother did the y-dna test (37) and got 2 matches.
    2. I (female) did the family finder and got mostly distant matches with no surnames that I recognize.

On my mothers side
    Next my cousin (grandson of my mothers' brother). He is the only male left in that line. Also did the y-dna (37). And, he matches -- many, many but no one with the same surname as his (he's not adopted.).

Question: a. Would Family finder test for my brother show anything in my genealogy search more than we already have since I did the test?

b. Would my cousin doing the family finder be for any advantage? Since it seems like it might muddle things up because it would also include his mother's side... maybe I'm confusing myself.

Thanks for any insights as to something that may improve my chances of breaking down walls would be helpful.
    For clarity, I've bolded the section of your post that I'm answering. Depending on what you're hoping to find through DNA testing, it's possible that having your cousin order Family Finder may be helpful to you.

While his matches would include his mother's side (not related to you), it would be useful to see which matches you and he share. That would tell you that, unless you both have Colonial American or Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry (lots of intermarriages leading to being cousins in multiple lines), those matches you share come from your mother's side.

If that's useful information to you, it would be worthwhile to have him test. Having your brother test Family Finder would get more matches for both your paternal and maternal sides. Siblings only share 50% of DNA from their parents, so your brother has some of your parents' DNA you don't have and vice versa. Therefore, your brother would share some matches with you and would also get matches that you didn't get. Having both your brother and cousin order Family Finder would also find more common matches between your cousin and your brother/you, which would be coming from your mother's side, as long as your cousin and you aren't related on both sides of your families.

Family Finder orders until Dec. 31 include a $100 gift card from restaurant.com, so if you want to have your brother or cousin order that, now's the time to do it.

Comment

My brother and I have both done family finder, as have maternal first cousins. Each person has added significantly to the matches and the cousins help me see which lineage those matches come from.

I have had very good luck with distant cousin matches finding relationships at 5th cousin range and up that added generations to my tree and confirmed other parts of my tree.

The triangulation feature is very helpful when you add the siblings and cousins.

Comment

It sounds like it may be worth a try.
        On my father's side I had hope to find some connections to find info past my grandfather (who came over from Germany as child 1885). I don't think that's going to happen - but the family finder may help for some on my mother's side.

On my cousin's side (My mother's father connection) I'd hope to find others who may have some connection. On that side I know my Grandfather's mother came from a colonial family that has been documented (back to the 1700's). My grandfathers family (the dad) seem to just come from OH earliest record 1814 birth and his parents by way of PA (census). Who they were unknown.

It's confusing, but hoping I can find some info via the dna testing.

Comment

Working...
        X