Small % African & Native American Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small % African & Native American Question

I hope there is someone who can answer this question.

If I have 3% ethnicity West African does that mean that percentage comes all from one ancestor ie a ggg grandparent or does it mean that it could come from a combination of DNA from more than one grandparent several generations back?

It could be either. As a simple example, if your test said your were half A and half B, it could mean one parent was A and the other was B, or that both parents were half A and half B.

Comment

??

So, the 3 percent could be from a combination of several ancestors?

The reason I ask is that many tables I view indicate that the African American would have been at the ggg grandparent level. I don't have a ggg grandparent who was 100 % African American not even a ggg grandparent who was 50% African American. That seems to indicate to me that the percentage probably came from a combination of several ancestors.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenn4ever View Post
        So, the 3 percent could be from a combination of several ancestors?

The reason I ask is that many tables I view indicate that the African American would have been at the ggg grandparent level. I don't have a ggg grandparent who was 100 % African American not even a ggg grandparent who was 50% African American. That seems to indicate to me that the percentage probably came from a combination of several ancestors.
        Autosomal dna is highly volatile and your percentages for example, will vary between siblings. I say this because I am mixed (a "quadroon" in 19th century parlance) and my percentages do not match those of my cousins or sibling. I can document in two instances where my African American family married with Europeans, and I would be willing to wager that there were more instances. I am fortunate in that I have a solid paper trail dating back to 1800, and my grandfather's haplogroup is E1b1a, this tells me that his African line was male driven as opposed to daughtered in.

Your bigger question sounds more like, where did they come from? If you have roots in the south, that would be a good start. The admixture of Native and African is not uncommon.

Comment

It is useful in cases of trace amounts to run your genome through the Gedmatch autosomal calculators by chromosome, and see if your African segments appear in one large segment of one chromosome (suggesting more a single traceable ancestor) or if they are more distributed in smaller segments among chromosomes (suggesting harder to trace, possibly from multiple ancestors).

Comment

Working...
          X