A Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Question

Ok I have a question. My DNA shows that I may be R1b. I know that through the Y gene that I will only show the origin of my Paternal lines? Ok what I want to know is on both my mother and fathers sides of the family I have Native American blood. The full bloods were all women so if my sister got tested would her haplo be deffrent then R1b?
    Also, if I got a print test would it show my % of Native Blood? And how accurate is it? I have provin my Native blood through genealogy records and have it documented but would like to know the total % of all the lines combined.

Thanks,
    A.Lock

Originally posted by A.Lock
    Ok I have a question. My DNA shows that I may be R1b. I know that through the Y gene that I will only show the origin of my Paternal lines? Ok what I want to know is on both my mother and fathers sides of the family I have Native American blood. The full bloods were all women so if my sister got tested would her haplo be deffrent then R1b?
    Also, if I got a print test would it show my % of Native Blood? And how accurate is it? I have provin my Native blood through genealogy records and have it documented but would like to know the total % of all the lines combined.

Thanks,
    A.Lock
    so if my sister got tested would her haplo be deffrent then R1b?

no all women if they are really daugther of their mom will have close mtdna
    all men if they are really the son of their dad will have very close ydna
    what you want is to find thru genealogy decendents of those people you know were full blood they should carry native american dna. thats where your answer lies genealogy paperwork then test

you and your sister have the same mtdna your moms
    she doesnt have a ydna and your son will have your wifes mtdna

Comment

Bottom line:

Women can NOT be tested for y-DNA. Why? Because if they had a y-chromosome, they would be men.

Remember from biology: XX makes a female & XY makes a male. The mother can only contribute an X; the father can contribute an X or a Y, thus determining the sex of the baby.

R1b is purely a y-chromosome designation. Both men and women can be tested for mitochondria (mtDNA), which are only inherited from the mother. I might add that mtDNA has NOTHING to do with the X chromosome. Mitochondria are organelles outside of the nucleus.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Originally posted by A.Lock

Thanks,
        A.Lock
        Here's a simple answer to your question. Yes, your sister's haplogroup would be different from the R1b. The R1b is a male only haplogroup. She would have to take the mtDNA test because she is a woman. But you could also take the mtDNA test. In that case your haplogroups would be the same if you have the same mother.

The Ancestry By DNA test (formerly DNAPrint) would show your percent of Native DNA. Some say it isn't reliable because Europeans get Native DNA results. They claim that it is impossible to be Native American if your ancestors were Europeans. They think Native Americans do not exist in Europe. If you know for a fact that you have Native American ancestry then I don't think your results would be all a big mistake.

Comment

Ok I think I didnt explain it right.

What I wanted to know was.

A. When my sister gets the mtDNA test done would she also be R1b. (You answered that one with No).

B. I can prove my Native American Blood through my genealgoy research and documents. I have Native Blood from both my Mom and Dads sides of the family. Would a DNA Print test show my exact %? (You answered Yes.)

(Quote)
          T E Peterman Bottom line:

Women can NOT be tested for y-DNA. Why? Because if they had a y-chromosome, they would be men.

Remember from biology: XX makes a female & XY makes a male. The mother can only contribute an X; the father can contribute an X or a Y, thus determining the sex of the baby.

R1b is purely a y-chromosome designation. Both men and women can be tested for mitochondria (mtDNA), which are only inherited from the mother. I might add that mtDNA has NOTHING to do with the X chromosome. Mitochondria are organelles outside of the nucleus.

Timothy Peterman

I never said they could. I dont know where you come from with this answer. Read my post again. Thanks.....

My Bottom line:
          I will just stick with the documented facts and maybe get a print test.

Thanks.

Comment

"The full bloods were all women so if my sister got tested would her haplo be deffrent then R1b?"

This was the statement that I was referring to

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Working...
            X