Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay what characteristic mtDNA type

discover mag November 13, 2005 | Anthropologysays
    A Neolithic burial from Germany yields clues into the genetics of the first European farmers about 7,500 years ago and their legacy on Europeans today.
    Anthropologists have never been quite sure whether modern Europeans are descended from an ancient stock of Paleolithic hunter gatherers who roamed the continent 40,000 odd years ago or from a much more recent influx of farmers who arrived after the end of the most recent glaciation 10,000 years ago. In an attempt to settle the debate, researchers led by Wolfgang Haak of Johannes Gutenberg University in Mainz, Germany, compared mitochondrial DNA and found that the farmers carry a variant rarely found in living Europeans, suggesting the farmers' legacy was more cultural than genetic. Although Stone Age Europeans probably picked up agricultural techniques from these farmers and interbred somewhat, they still form the main source of ancestry of today's Europe
    compared mitochondrial DNA and found that the farmers carry a variant rarely
    WHAT VARIANT?why can't they say what they find ?
    okay from science mag --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Science 11 November 2005:
    Vol. 310. no. 5750, pp. 1016 - 1018
    DOI: 10.1126/science.1118725

A crucial question is the extent to which Europeans are descended from the first European farmers in the Neolithic Age 7500 years ago or from Paleolithic hunter-gatherers who were present in Europe since 40,000 years ago. Here we present an analysis of ancient DNA from early European farmers. We successfully extracted and sequenced intact stretches of maternally inherited mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) from 24 out of 57 Neolithic skeletons from various locations in Germany, Austria, and Hungary. We found that 25% of the Neolithic farmers had one characteristic mtDNA type and that this type formerly was widespread among Neolithic farmers in Central Europe. Europeans today have a 150-times lower frequency (0.2%) of this mtDNA type, revealing that these first Neolithic farmers did not have a strong genetic influence on modern European female lineages. Our finding lends weight to a proposed Paleolithic ancestry for modern Europeans
    OKAY WHAT characteristic mtDNA type? I AM assuming that the old one isnt H
    since H is strong today. take a look at your mtdna map from ftdna [enough letters] the neolithic must Be N BUT what is the haplogroup that came in between N and H. I dont see one.I see I.J.K..T.U.V.W......H....U.X. comming out of N. but no new invasion except maybe X went to north america and came back and forth. but who knows about that
    sure would be nice if they told us what they found . i emailed the writer and informed them that reg people stop reading the first paragraph its us that reads it all in the hopes they tell us what they found.
    how many times have you watched the discovery channel on pharoahs and romans and they tested the bones and never tell you what they were

i am getting tired of this crs is a modern person wouldnt it be kool to have a match with those people they found

maybe max know cause they did the testing max get us the info

Ask and Ye Shall Receive

Mr. Denning:

The haplogroup was N1a.

http://archaeology.about.com/od/inventions/a/haak.htm

Note there are some disputes about the methodology used.

Comment

Incidentally, the way I read this evidence is supportive of the Cavalli-Sforza, majority view on Indo-European origins being tied to the first Neolithic farmers who lived in what is now eastern Turkey.

N1a is present in large numbers in Iran and in the Brahman castes of India. This would comport with the first wave of Neolithic farmers being satem speaking proto-Indo-Europeans.

I'm sure the proponents of this theory are jumping for joy! This is pretty compelling evidence.

Comment

Of course, the study did little to address possible mechanisms for the low numbers today, for example, the differences in gender mate selection preferences.

Scientists examining the Columbian DNA without the benefit of a historical narrative would be hard pressed to find why almost every human from Columbia carries European Y Chromosomes and Native American mtDNA.

Of course, we all know the answer is the mestizo population that occurred from male Spanish settlers taking Indian brides.

But Y chromosomes disintegrate, and all we can test is mtDNA after time.

So, the Columbian sample would show (2000 years from now), that there was NO European contribution to the gene pool (because it was all on the male side).

I would be willing to bet that these farmers coming from the southern climes with their new technology and ample supply of food were very good mates for the local women.

Why don't scientists ever consider simple explanations?

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey

Why don't scientists ever consider simple explanations?

lol my point always so it seems some old therorys where just that or maybe they arent and this good science is wrong either way the lesson is to expect change
          as bennett started the connference what we know is greatly overshadowed by what we dont know

Comment

Working...
          X