Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brickwall Buster ?

Hi all
    I am new here and hoping to breakthrough a brickwall I have hit on my paternal side of my family.
    I am unable to go further back than my Great Grandfather,John Albert Ernest Johnson.
    I know very little about him before he got married.
    Hopefully DNA testing will give some peace of mind as it had bothered me for several years now.
    I have had great success on my maternal side and have made some great discoveries there,but not so many on my fathers side.
    I am completely new to DNA and know very very little,I am reading many posts here hoping to learn the lingo and processes,but much so far is all Greek so to speak.
    I have been researching my family tree for about 5 years now and have added over 800 relatives to my tree.
    But my Y-side of the family is an absolute mystery.
    I live in Australia and know that my gg grandfather was suppose to be born in NSW,but there is not one single piece of evidence to support this except on his death certificate it says where he was born,but this most likely is wrong due as there is no paper trail to support this information.
    So I dont even know which country my families men folk immigrated from,I am presuming the UK as I am Caucasian.

So my last hope remains on DNA testing,hopefully I will get sort of result.

I don't know how it is in your country but here in the U.S. some states didn't start recording birth and death dates till the mid 1800s. If you are looking for information you will have to see if you have some historical societies in the area you are looking into, who may sell books on pioneering families of that area. Look into local libraries, or historical libraries in that area (New South Wales?) Also old churches, etc. Usually all of us come to road blocks in our paper trails and have to use other means and it can take years, belieive me. I assume you have looked into any census that might have been taken in the area you are searching? You are lucky in one respect, as you know the surname. Hope you have some luck soon.

Comment

I have looked at the BDM records for NSW and there is no trace of him being born there,but it was common for people to be born and the births not recored back in them days.
      He moved to Adelaide,SA from NSW sometime between birth and his wedding.He lived here in Adelaide until his death.
      No census was taken also in Adelaide where he lived and no church records either,I have looked at all of this.
      I have spent almost 2 years trying to trace him movements and although I have lots of info on him from when he was married,there is no paper trail for the time before that.
      On his wedding certificate it has George recorded as him fathers name,but that still hasn't helped.

So now my only hope is that I can get some sort of match using DNA and the I can start the hunt again.
      I am now waiting for my test kit to arrive that I got from FTDNA.
      Last edited by bolinao; 9 November 2013, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by southjerseygeni View Post
        I don't know how it is in your country but here in the U.S. some states didn't start recording birth and death dates till the mid 1800s.
        Some states didn't even exist in the mid 1800s. Some states didn't start recording birth and death dates until after 1900.

Comment

The states may not have started recording the vital records in the USA until later, but many towns, cities, counties certainly did long before the states took the vital records keeping over. Every town, city, county and even state is different with their vital records keeping practices, but it is not at all unheard of to find vital records from the 1700's or earlier.

I have personally obtained nearly 1000 birth, marriage, death certificates on my family tree that dates back to colonial Virginia mid 1700's, so it is very possible there are vital records out there that are not found at the state level. That is a misconception by novice genealogists, that if the records can not be found at the state level, then they can't be found which is false.
          Not every town / city, not every county had their own court houses in the early years and records could have easily been moved to the closest court house in a region you may not have considered looking in before.

As the ole saying goes, no stone left unturned, exhaust every possibility even if it seems unlikely at first. The records we seek could very easily have ended up at the wrong court house in the early years, and a lot of people seem to forget, boundry lines were not always set in stone "writting" and were always being changed in the early years.

But back to the original posters problem, you are in a situation that is out of your control and you are right to resort to DNA for some answers.
          But before giving up, seek professional genealogical and historical help first, ask those in the know if they can help, they may know of sources that you may not have considered.
          If you have exhausted every possible paper trail source for that region, then you have to hope maybe someone in the family wrote down everything in say a family bible or note book or something.

I have been doing genealogy research for over 20 years, I have personally helped thousands of folks in the USA with thier family trees, never give up because when you least expect it, the right records can suddenly be found and answer your many questions because you were looking in all the wrong places. Seek the professionals out as they have the years of experience in the field and may know of records sources that you may have never considered looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Donald Locke View Post

But back to the original posters problem, you are in a situation that is out of your control and you are right to resort to DNA for some answers.
            But before giving up, seek professional genealogical and historical help first, ask those in the know if they can help, they may know of sources that you may not have considered.
            If you have exhausted every possible paper trail source for that region, then you have to hope maybe someone in the family wrote down everything in say a family bible or note book or something.
            Hi and thanks for the response.
            I actually did hire a professional genealogist at one stage to help me trace where John came from,but unfortunately they didn't find anything as well.
            I joined the genealogy society in my city and spent many hours going through records and asking their opinions as well without any luck.

John was a very poor man and very little was recorded about him.
            No doubt though there is some sort of record out there somewhere which has the information I needed,but I haven't been able to find it yet.

As for family bible I have even chased that avenue without any luck,but I did manage to track down his granddaughter whom I haven't seen for over 40 years and she provided me with with several photos of him and his wife,which was one of the greatest thrills of my research as I had no idea what he and his wife looked like before that,she also told me some great stories about John and the family.

Comment

How can I tell when FTDNA have received my kit?

Comment

Originally posted by bolinao View Post
                How can I tell when FTDNA have received my kit?
                Normally they will send an e-mail to the e-mail address in the contact information to let you know.

Go to your "myFTDNA" website. In the left hand column click on the "Complete Order History" link under the "Order History" heading.

There should be two columns, the first is date and the second is status. Reading from the bottom up you should see, in the right hand column, Ordered, above that, Sent, and if it has happened, above that, Received. This will continue to be updated as different things occur. In the left hand column will be the date the status occurred.

Comment

Ah yes,I see that it has been received now in my Order History,thanks for that.
                  Last edited by bolinao; 6 December 2013, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Research Australia

Hi Bolinao, like you i have become stuck from time to time on the paper trail, the Bdm's in Australia are very good in general for tracing Australian Families often though when there is no record you have another recourse in History books written by local community members and historical societies recording the memories of many of the old Pioneers, there are also the passenger lists which don't always help as a surprising number of Australian immigrants it appears were swimmers, they jumped ship, often as not to try their luck in the Goldfields, their are also a lot of Convicts who upon release changed their names in the hope of obtaining a clean start in life, these name changes of course were recorded, but the most important paper trail i have found is local newspapers, the massive project by the Australian National Library to provide the records of every available newspaper transcribed by thousands of volunteers is free to research you can even volunteer yourself, it can be found at http://trove.nla.gov.au/
                    This resource has been invaluable to me and may help you too.
                    As for DNA well, i have reservations on this, i love the idea of it but it still requires you to link to another person through your family tree, you still need a paper trail, for example.
                    My partner has in excess of 100,000 documented individuals in her tree, not loaded on FTDNA naturally as the site is incapable of excepting such a large tree, DNA testing has enabled her to connect to 2 distant cousins who were descended from one individual 10 generations back, it took months of building their family trees to find the link, well woop de doo, it was fun but was it worth it, maybe, at least it was for the distant cousins, they now have immense trees they never dreamed of having.
                    On the other side of the coin is the fact that the majority of tested individuals are from the USA, (we really need Aussies to get onboard but most i speak too cannot afford the costs involved) i had two distant ancestors whom immigrated to the USA and then disappeared, as it was during the civil war i can only imagine what might have happened to them, being Irish and Ryans it's just a nightmare but we persist, anyway my point being most of my matching on FTDNA is too Americans, well this convinces me that my ancestors survived and multiplied but of the 9 matches i have attempted to correspond with i have only one reply and that was an MTDNA match that cannot so far be linked through the paper trail and i suspect won't be, as for the others well their trees are private (WHY) why would you use DNA testing to find family relatives and then make your tree private, what on earth are they afraid of, the dead don't care and the living should only be afraid if they have been naughty, i'm ranting aren't i, oh well anyway get onto Trove my friend.

Comment

I am trying to upload my GEDCOM on to ysearch but it keep giving a 500 - Internal server error.

Any ideas on why this is happening ?

Also my 12 marker results have come in,trying to get my head around it all now waiting on my 37 marker results.

The funkiest thing about my test results is I am a descendant of Niall Of The Nine Hostages...
                      Last edited by bolinao; 11 January 2014, 06:11 PM.

Comment

My 37 marker results have just come in,can someone please help me try to understand them.

I have 81 matches at the 37 marker level and 50 matches at the 25 marker level.
                        But none have the same surname as me,so does this mean that there are 81 coincidences at the 37 marker level ? or could these people still be related ? and if so how can they be if they have different surnames ?

thanks

Comment

I have 81 matches at the 37 marker level and 50 matches at the 25 marker level.
                          But none have the same surname as me,so does this mean that there are 81 coincidences at the 37 marker level ? or could these people still be related ? and if so how can they be if they have different surnames ?
                          thanks
                          At the 37-marker level, matches are rarely just coincidence.

Does almost everyone on your match list also have a different surname from each other? If so, that typically indicates that the population that your paternal line was from didn't use inherited surnames until fairly recently -- past 200-300 years or so. In this case, it will unfortunately be very challenging to make a paper-trail connection to these many different surnames.

On the other hand, if your matches have just a few different surnames and there are many people on your list with each surname, then perhaps there were just some surname changes a while back. Or perhaps the connections are still from before surnames, but further back than just a couple hundred years. Either way, in this case, you will want to research where/how your paternal line crossed paths with these few surnames.

Also, what's your haplogroup?

Elise

Comment

Most of the surnames are different,several lots of 2-3 people with the same surname,there is one surname with 6 people but they are all private,would this indicate they are in the same immediate family ?

My haplogroup is R-M269.

I am also interested in where my clan came from,the most prolific country is Ireland,also I have the Niall Of The Nine Hostages chromosome,so this would also indicate Ireland as well.
                            Ireland has the most matches by far on all marker levels in the Ancestral Origins page,so would it be safe to say my family originated from there ?

thanks
                            Last edited by bolinao; 15 January 2014, 02:43 AM.

Comment

also I have the Niall Of The Nine Hostages chromosome
                              Ah, that explains your many matches with varying surnames. Have you read through the info about Niall yet?

http://www.familytreedna.com/landing...ing-niall.aspx

I'm personally not familiar with the history of surnames in Ireland, but perhaps someone who is can shed light on when surnames were adopted by the descendants of Niall and/or why his male-line descendants ended up with so many different surnames.

Elise

Comment

Working...
                              X