chromosomes and different geographic regions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chromosomes and different geographic regions

On the chromosome browser feature. Are geographic regions represented by each chromosome?

Sincerely,

David

Originally posted by DavdJ View Post
    On the chromosome browser feature. Are geographic regions represented by each chromosome?

Sincerely,

David
    Oh David I so wish they would add this feature. FTDNA is behind the times with this. In fact I just griped about this not even 10 minutes ago in an email to one of my Gematch cousins!

Comment

ah interesting! They should add it!

Another question. Which set of chromosomes is from your Father's and Mother side. I was wondering because most of my father's is on the left side?

or am I just imagining this? lol

Comment

Yes, you are just imagining, or hoping, that is the case, but it isn't that simple.

The only ways you can attribute segments on a chromosome to one or another parent is through finding correspondences between your family tree and that of a match, or by ancestry in the case where your parents were ethnically distinct, or by geography in the case your parents' ancestors have different geographic origins and followed different migratory paths.

Comment

David, the feature you are asking about is called a Chromosome Painting, used in Biographical Ancestry (BGA) reporting. FTDNA does not have that feature as mentioned.

You have a SET of 23 chromosomes, if you don't count them as pairs, you actually have 46 chromosomes total. You get a chromosome 1 from your father and a chromosome 1 from you mother, a chromosome 2 from your father and a chromosome 2 from your mother.. and so on up to 22, then for the last two chromosomes it is different father to child vs mother to child. Father to child gives a Y to his son, a X to his daughter. Mother's give a X to her child whether the child is a son or daughter.

Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by mkdexter View Post
            David, the feature you are asking about is called a Chromosome Painting, used in Biographical Ancestry (BGA) reporting. FTDNA does not have that feature as mentioned.

You have a SET of 23 chromosomes, if you don't count them as pairs, you actually have 46 chromosomes total. You get a chromosome 1 from your father and a chromosome 1 from you mother, a chromosome 2 from your father and a chromosome 2 from your mother.. and so on up to 22, then for the last two chromosomes it is different father to child vs mother to child. Father to child gives a Y to his son, a X to his daughter. Mother's give a X to her child whether the child is a son or daughter.

Matt.
            If you upload to Gedmatch you can see chromosome painting for your chromosome sections. Presently, it takes a few weeks to fully upload your data from the testing company.

Comment

Working...
            X