Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "5% East Asian".....??????

Hello everyone

Recently I had a DNA test run (GeneTree, AncestryByDNA 2.5).

The results were- "95% European, 5% East Asian"

My reason for taking the test was an attempt to confirm an old family story of being descended from Creek Indians (several generations ago, ca. 1830).
    (I did find evidence supporting the claim but never able to find the actual connection)

This Creek relation is the only non-European aspect of my ancestry that I know of.

If the story is true....how does it correspond with the test results?
    (I notice the graphs and plots of the test show a tendency toward Natve American as well...if I am reading it correctly.)

Thanks, Tom

Hello Tom,

If you recall from the population of the American continent theories, first inhabitants came from Asia via Bering strait all the way down to South America.

All Native American genes are believed to have an Asian origin so that could explain your results. However, a value as low as 5% could also be dismissed as what some call "statistical noise" and not actual mixture.

Check the FAQ at AncestryByDNA:
    http://ancestrybydna.com/welcome/faq/

Regards,
    Victor

Originally posted by Tom
    Hello everyone

Recently I had a DNA test run (GeneTree, AncestryByDNA 2.5).

The results were- "95% European, 5% East Asian"

My reason for taking the test was an attempt to confirm an old family story of being descended from Creek Indians (several generations ago, ca. 1830).
    (I did find evidence supporting the claim but never able to find the actual connection)

This Creek relation is the only non-European aspect of my ancestry that I know of.

If the story is true....how does it correspond with the test results?
    (I notice the graphs and plots of the test show a tendency toward Natve American as well...if I am reading it correctly.)

Thanks, Tom

Comment

Tom,
      The Creek Indian ancestry most likely wouldn't show up on your AncestryByDNA test if the ancestor was that far back. But just because it didn't show up doesn't mean you didn't have a Creek Indian ancestor. The test usually just tells you your recent DNA, going only as far back as your great grandparents. Was the ancestor male or female? The mtDNA or Y-DNA test might reveal it if someone from that direct line is tested.

Comment

Working...
      X