Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High resolution match

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • High resolution match

    If I am a high resolution match with someone, what does that mean? In very plain english please

  • #2
    That you are probably a lot more closely related than you would be to someone with only a low resolution match.

    Timothy Peterman

    Comment


    • #3
      yeah, I got that much, but what is 'closesly realated' are we talking 0-100 yrs
      0-300 yrs
      0-500 yrs
      0-1000 yrs back? My mother took the test and I found it interesting that bells and whistles didn't go off when they gave her name as a 'high resolution match'.

      Comment


      • #4
        It's impossible to tell how far back someone is related to you because mtDNA can stay the same for a thousand years or more, from what I've read. It could be that you and the other person shared the same ancestor a thousand years ago or a generation ago or anywhere in between. If only DNA could be more simple than that.

        Comment


        • #5
          high resolution matches

          Hi, I was wondering the same thing ... FTDNA's homepage has a probability chart on this (you may have to hunt around a bit, for it? Their site has many unexplored areas -- the library of papers is particularly helpful).

          However, three of us in Haplogroup W had a high-resolution match at all ten of our points (as they deviate from CRS), plus I found a fourth from the literature ... 2 probable Western Europeans, one more in Poland, and then ... my daughter, from Kolkata in Eastern India!

          W is supposed to be uncommon, so you might expect the match to be more meaningful than is typical for a ten-point match ... I think. However, a direct query to FTDNA staff was responded to with a LOWER probability of a "genealogical match," than the chart indicated, even. I have no idea what to make of high-resolution matches, now.

          This is all very mysterious ... and I am enjoying it!

          Comment


          • #6
            I didn't order the test, my mother did for me. It seems to me she wasted her money. If I understand what little info I have been able to glean.... I am now able to pinpoint that I am related to 1/20th of the population (my daughter of Eve mother Tara) and that "high resolution" matches are also. What is the significance of this?!

            It seems maybe if I found someone through other research that I thought I was related to, this test might be used to rule that possibility out. Doesn't seem worth the trouble and money. Having said that, the reason I am here is to hopefully be proven wrong and figure out what the significance if any these results have.

            Comment


            • #7
              michellehale,

              Did you already know your family history? Some people have no idea what part of the world their ancestors came from. The tests are amazing because they reveal it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by michellehale
                I didn't order the test, my mother did for me. It seems to me she wasted her money. If I understand what little info I have been able to glean.... I am now able to pinpoint that I am related to 1/20th of the population (my daughter of Eve mother Tara) and that "high resolution" matches are also. What is the significance of this?!

                It seems maybe if I found someone through other research that I thought I was related to, this test might be used to rule that possibility out. Doesn't seem worth the trouble and money. Having said that, the reason I am here is to hopefully be proven wrong and figure out what the significance if any these results have.

                when you do ydna surnames is the key item

                when you do mtdna you need to switch location for surnames
                where did your people go and where did they leave from
                you need geographical projects on those locations. you need to get other people from that heritage to test. what your looking for is your moms grandmoms sisters female decendents. and you need paperwork.
                paperwork is always needed dna then fills in the wholes.

                yeah this means both types of genealogy paper and dna need to change in ways . females are the glue that hold the relationships families have together.
                i am now testing cousins mtdna so i can get my dads mothers mtdna and other stuff.

                if there isnt a project for the two areas start one or two you can contact me for help

                Comment


                • #9
                  How long?

                  Since I believe it goes back about 30 generations (with 95% probability), you may assume a common ancestor about 600-750 years ago. But this is just probability based. One may still be found within the exceptional 5%, so it could go back even further.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X