Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tourist View Post
    @ 1798

Actually, I got a lot done with a 37 marker test, and I recommend the 37 marker test to anybody getting involved with the genetics game. But I come from one of the smaller families, where I have no ancient family DNA available for me to compare my own to, and so I need the help of the genetic experts, who often ask for more advanced testing. And I am glad to do so because most of the experts are unpaid hobbyists and my supplying them with more advanced data is about the only "payment" I can give them.
    With your M222 group 37 markers would be okay for a start but with the group that I am in 37 would be a waste of time. I am more interested in SNPs than ystr markers at present as they define the relationship between two people.

Comment

@ 1798

I started with the 37 marker test and got lot done with that, but because I come from one of the smaller families I really need the help of the genetic experts, which lead me to taking the Deep Clade test, then upgrading to the 67 marker test, then upgrading to the 111 marker test and then going for a DF85 test which is an extension branch of M222.

So yeah, the 37 marker test took me a long way, and so I give it a high recommendation to everybody, but the genetic experts ask for no less than a 37 marker test and really do want more than that. OK, I am glad to supply them with what they want.

Comment

@ 1798

I started with the 37 marker test and got lot done with that, but because I come from one of the smaller families I really need the help of the genetic experts, which lead me to taking the Deep Clade test, then upgrading to the 67 marker test, then upgrading to the 111 marker test and then going for a DF85 test which is an extension branch of M222.

So yeah, the 37 marker test took me a long way, and so I give it a high recommendation to everybody, but the genetic experts ask for no less than a 37 marker test and really do want more than that. OK, I am glad to supply them with what they want.
        I dont really care what the "experts" want.Its what I want that matters.I didnt test for their benefit.
        I think that a 67 marker test is a good test for any man who is serious about finding relatives but it is entirely up to every man what he wants to find out and how he wants to go about it.

Comment

@ 1798

OK, but let me add that my own background is in engineering, mechanical engineering, and I have learned to respect the opinions of those who could be dedicated to a subject such as genetics. Yes, they mostly are unpaid amateurs, but I appreciate and respect what they have to say. Or in other words, I have not yet been steered wrong by them. They really are good at what they do.

Comment

There are some people with the M222 SNP that have names that are linked to Niall of the Nine Hostages but there are also plenty that dont.So the story of M222 is only beginning.

Comment

There are a number of SNPs under M222 now: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...dency_Tree.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
                There are some people with the M222 SNP that have names that are linked to Niall of the Nine Hostages but there are also plenty that dont.So the story of M222 is only beginning.
                Apparently the Niall dynasty of kings lasted from somewhere in the 400s to about the 900s, AD, but the trouble is that was before the general adoption of surnames as we know them today, which did not occur until about 1,000 years ago and sometimes not until centuries after that. And then there was a trend toward the Anglicization of Gaelic names, which effectively made a complete mess out of any recored keeping, if any such record keeping existed at all. For instance, apparently my family name began as O'Muirgheasain but then went through more spelling changes than a person has fingers before eventually becoming Morrison. For instance, O'Muirgheasain first became O'Mrisane, then went through numerous other spelling changes and part of the reason for that had to to do with the fact that people often did not know how to spell their own name and that the person recording their name in whatever register simply spelled them in whatever way they heard them. Oh, such a tangled mess! For instance, my great-great-grandfather is listed in an Armagh parish register as Morrison (with two Rs) BUT all of his brothers and sisters are listed in the SAME parish register as Morison (with one R). That was in the year 1775, and going back any further than that becomes a horrifically tangled mess.
                Last edited by Tourist; 9 October 2013, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by N21163 View Post
                  There are a number of SNPs under M222 now: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...dency_Tree.jpg
                  There is a post on the U106 forum about M222 and SNPS. I think that there were a lot of new SNPs found under M222 in the Chromo2 so I am going to test for it?
                  Last edited by 1798; 9 October 2013, 07:27 AM. Reason: mistake

Comment

There is a post on the U106 forum about M222 and SNPS. I think that there were a lot of new SNPs found under M222 in the Chromo2 so I am going to test for it?
                    It is somewhat of a damned if you do and damned if you do not sort of situation. The thing is that genetics is an evolving technology, which simply costs money to produce but which also depends on testing volunteers in order to make any progress. For instance, at FTDNA I took the Deep Clade test and I thought that was the end of it, but no(!), and now there is a new downstream DF85 SNP test for me to take and if I test positive for that then there is yet another DF97 SNP downstream test for me to take. But I am in favor of making progress, and so last week I placed an order and sent payment for the DF85 test.

The choice is yours. Some of the tests could be worthless failures, but some of the tests might produce meaningful results. And the only way we all get to find out is by our voluntary participation. Yep, science is like that. Somebody comes up with a theory and the only way to determine the validity of that theory is to put the theory to the test.

Comment

I looked at the M222 map that was posted on facebook.There are 19 SNP branches that I can see but I think Dr Wilson did say that some of them are private.I think that there are more than 46 generations in M222.There are seven descendant branches from M222 to S592 and at 500 years per branch it could be 3500 ybp.
                      I wrote in a post awhile ago that there were more branches under M222 to be found and DR Wilson has found them.

Comment

Yep, M222 covers a broad region, since long before there was an Ireland and a Scotland, and both of those places are known to be populated by those from Europe and from beyond Europe. So, yeah and get ready for it, but there are bound to be significant genetic variances, downstream, within the M222 group.

Comment

Yep, M222 covers a broad region, since long before there was an Ireland and a Scotland, and both of those places are known to be populated by those from Europe and from beyond Europe. So, yeah and get ready for it, but there are bound to be significant genetic variances, downstream, within the M222 group.
                          Will the experts be able to identify the SNP that is associated with Niall? That is the big question.

Comment

Will the experts be able to identify the SNP that is associated with Niall? That is the big question.
                            It sure is. It will be interesting to see if they can.

Comment

Well, I have the SNP which is associated with Niall, but consider that it is only ASSOCIATED with Niall, as there is no actual Niall DNA to compare it to. Therefore, we are left to guess about that. Maybe true, maybe not, but to guess about it is about all that we can do.

My own SNP: L21+, M222+, R1b1a2a1a1b4b

Comment

Working...
                              X