Finding SNP matches at ysearch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding SNP matches at ysearch

I spent a lot of time at ysearch looking for matches and I find that in most cases anyone that matches another person at 57/67 markers belongs in the same subgroup.So if anyone has a 67 marker haplotype at ysearch and hasnt SNP tested yet can find someone that has tested will have an idea which test to apply for.

I had two goes at testing my SNP before I worked that one out, people can certainly save themselves some cash if they follow your advice.

Once your SNP has been tested its fairly lonely waiting for other to test, DNA testing is fairly low in Ireland

I take it that 1798 refers to the rebellion I am hoping in a few weeks that I will be able to establish a link between myself and a the descendants of a person who was transported to Australia for his part in the 1798 rebellion.
    Last edited by Pincera; 19 August 2013, 07:52 AM.

Comment

from day one, I kept matching this one surname and spelling of this surname, hundred of time. But it was no way close to my surname. I notice through ysearch that all these surname had in common was a snp. so I tested one snp far down the line and came up positive, skipping almost thirty snp in line

what I saving is pay attention to the matches, although it might not be your surname, something is making these name flag. surname came about around 1200 ad but y goes back a lot farther

Comment

Originally posted by Pincera View Post
        I had two goes at testing my SNP before I worked that one out, people can certainly save themselves some cash if they follow your advice.

Once your SNP has been tested its fairly lonely waiting for other to test, DNA testing is fairly low in Ireland

I take it that 1798 refers to the rebellion I am hoping in a few weeks that I will be able to establish a link between myself and a the descendants of a person who was transported to Australia for his part in the 1798 rebellion.

The testing may be low in Ireland but the Irish diaspara who are getting tested are descended from people who left the Island within the last 300 years. YSTRs and SNPs dont change a lot in that time so the dna of the people at home would be similar.The only point I would make is that some of the lines may have survived away from Ireland especially those that came from the worst hit areas of the famine.
        I read a lot of books and a few were about 1798.

Comment

When I search at ysearch I use the ;
          Show users that tested at least 67 of the markers that I did.
          Allow:maximum genetic distance of 1 per marker compared above 57 markers.
          I also search for matches at 12 using the search by haplotype mode as it produces more matches.If I see a haplotype I am interested in memorise it and then enter it.Most of the time I can find one person in the matches with a specific 12 marker haplotype that has tested to 67.
          The 12 marker exact matches are important to my branch as all of my relatives have the exact same first 12 so I know that I can use those as modal and I wasted money testing them.

Comment

Working...
          X