Haplogroup I (M170)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haplogroup I (M170)

Last week I recieved form National Geograhic the results of my test for DNA which is the title.
    But I would like to go further with my 'tree' if possible.. How do I go about that.
    The map that I was given with my route from Africa, ended in the Yugoslavia/Rumania areas.. I would like to know if it is possible to trace my journey to England were I was born.. May sound like a neddle in a haystack, but now that I know the start of my family's journey I would like to complete it.
    Thank you anybody for any advice, or help in this quest.

Alan..

derinos

Since Haplo "I" is in a broad swathe right across Europe, you will have to sense from writings on ancient history how your particular genes may have travelled. Starting with paleolithic hikers, then Indoeuropean cowboys with wagons in the 10,000 to 5000 YBP (years before present) period . Then Celtic recruits from Thracia or Illyria, that's Yugoslavia and Albania now, were the major content of the 25,000 "Roman" legionaries that garrisoned the province Britannia from about 1900 YBP.
    During the Napoleon wars, a period of much refugee movement in Europe, the population of Britain was only 8 million.
    People were quite scarce in the past ; we have lost sight of that in visualising how very few our ancestors were. But they made it; and how they have overbred ever since!
    Enjoy your quest!

Comment

Originally posted by Noddys
      Last week I recieved form National Geograhic the results of my test for DNA which is the title.
      But I would like to go further with my 'tree' if possible.. How do I go about that.
      The map that I was given with my route from Africa, ended in the Yugoslavia/Rumania areas.. I would like to know if it is possible to trace my journey to England were I was born.. May sound like a neddle in a haystack, but now that I know the start of my family's journey I would like to complete it.

Alan..
      Hi cousin. I'm fellow M170, born in what used to be Jugoslavia. Nothing strange in your "geographic journey" resaults. As M170, you belong to subracial type "ATLANTHO-MEDITERRANEAN" which were the bearers of the megalit culture (f. ex. Stonehenge). I have collected some documents on this topic and will be more than happy to share it.

Comment

M170

Hi,

I also just received my results from NG: M170.

I live in the Netherlands and my father's family originates from Germany, that is all I know.

This result makes me also much more curious about M170 and the details of that, so I am also very much interested in the documents you mention.

Best regards,

Johan Wiegman
        [email protected]

Comment

Haplogroup I: Western-Europe

Hi,

This is what I found on this website. I also found a perfect 12 marker
          match with a person who originated from Hungary. A perfect match of course implies a common ancestor.

I The I, I1, and I1a lineages are nearly completely restricted to northwestern Europe. These would most likely have been common within Viking populations. One lineage of this group extends down into central Europe.

Looking at the distribution map, there is a surprising number of I group people in the UK an Ireland.

To me this is all fairly new, but extremely interesting.

Any other or additional view are very welcome.

Best regards,

Johan

Comment

M170

Hello, Cousins!

I've just got my results from Genographic Project which identifies me as M170, Haplogroup I. I come from Georgia (Caucasus) although currently I reside in the Netherlands. I'm very curious about these issues and try to read a lot about it. I'd be glad if we could share our findings with each other.

Greetings,

K.

Comment

Noddy,

You should put your 12 numbers into the Y-Predictor to try get an idea of what subclade of I your from. If you anchestors have been in England for a while I would guess you belong to the I1a group originated in Iberia. Prime Radient probably have the Balkan subclade of I1b.

Link: https://home.comcast.net/~whitathey/predictorinstr.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Noddys

Alan..
                Hello all.

I got similar results from my genographic testing. I live in the USA with roots in southeastern Scotland. Plugging my data into the predictor indicated I1c (continental)...my ancestors probably came to the British Isles as Anglo-Saxon raiders/settlers or as Viking raiders/settlers. If anyone would like to compare data, please let me know.

Bill

Comment

Hi, Bill!

I'd like to compare the data.
                  As I've written already above I'm from Georgia (Caucasus). My country is very close to the region where M170 originated. So, it would be interesting to compare the data from the such separated regions as Scotland and Georgia

Comment

To Bill Bogue

By any chance are you from Colorado? My kids' maternal grandfather, now deceased, was adopted. We think his biological name was William Bogue, but we are unsure of the spelling. Are the Bogues specifically from southeast Scotland or are they found throughout Scotland. At present we have no way of determining the maternal grandfather's haplogroup. Thank you for your consideration. (In retrospect I should have sent a private message).
                    Last edited by josh w.; 25 November 2005, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Irubak
                      Hi, Bill!

I'd like to compare the data.
                      As I've written already above I'm from Georgia (Caucasus). My country is very close to the region where M170 originated. So, it would be interesting to compare the data from the such separated regions as Scotland and Georgia
                      Irubak, here is my data.

DYS 393 14
                      DYS 19 15
                      DYS 391 10
                      DYS 439 11
                      DYS 389-1 14
                      DYS 389-2 18
                      DYS 388 13
                      DYS 390 23
                      DYS 426 11
                      DYS 385a 14
                      DYS 385b 15
                      DYS 392 12

When I tried to use a haplogroup predictor program, I found that the 389-2 numbers were not given as choices. Later, I read that "conventions" differ depending on who is doing the typing and that to use the predictor program I should add the two 389 numbers (14 + 18) to get the 389-2 number to use in the program. Using the program gives me a strong relation to the I1c (continental) haplogroup. This was confirmed by email to one of the contacts on the webpage I used.

Would you mind posting (or private mailing) similiar information?

Regards,

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by josh w.
                        By any chance are you from Colorado? My kids' maternal grandfather, now deceased, was adopted. We think his biological name was William Bogue, but we are unsure of the spelling. Are the Bogues specifically from southeast Scotland or are they found throughout Scotland. At present we have no way of determining the maternal grandfather's haplogroup. Thank you for your consideration. (In retrospect I should have sent a private message).
                        Hello Josh,

No, I am not from Colorado. North Carolina actually, currently residing in Virginia.

I have done some research about my family history and there are some fuzzy connections but I am pretty sure the line traces to a farm in Berwickshire, Scotland near the town of Duns. The farm is called Burnhouses (houses on a burn (river)). It exists today. I visited it in 1997. They raise ostriches there now.

The immigrant to America was apparently William Bogue who disappeared from Scottish records in the mid-1600's about the same time as William Bogue appeared in Jamestown, Virginia. My family traces its roots to this William Bogue. About the time William came to America, the family changed the way of spelling its name from Bog, or Boag (and other variations) to Bogue. The immigrant's brother, Patrick, lost the farm and was the last "Laird of Burnhouses." He is buried in a church built in Oliver Cromwell's time in Berwick on Tweed. The line goes back to the 1400's in Edinburgh. Quaker descendants of William Bogue of Jamestown, Virginia settled in Perquimans, North Carolina and many of them moved on to Indiana and Ohio in the early 1800's. My line stayed in Perquimans. I grew up in neighboring Pasquotank County.

There is a village named Bogue in the southwestern part of Scotland, probably named for a Bogue (whereas Duns is located in the southeastern part of Scotland) and supposedly there was at least one other, related, Bogue clan in Berwickshire. I also have read of people named Bogue who emmigrated from Ireland as well.

Although I think it contains some errors in my line concerning the generation immediatey following the immigration to America, "Bogue and Allied Families," written in the 1940's by Virgil Bogue is a good account of how the Bogue family came to America. It is no longer in print.

I hope this helps you. Please feel free to contact me again.

Bill

Josh,

If you respond to this post, maybe we should start some messages back and forth or our own thread.

Bill
                        Last edited by ; 25 November 2005, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Hey, Bill!

Thanks for your reply and data!!

But it gave me a new headache as well! I put my numbers in the predictor and the highest match is haplogroup J!!!! I1b comes second...
                          So, I guess, I have to contach Genographic Project about the results...
                          Here is my data:

DYS 393 11
                          DYS 19 15
                          DYS 391 10
                          DYS 439 11
                          DYS 389-1 13
                          DYS 389-2 17
                          DYS 388 13
                          DYS 390 24
                          DYS 426 11
                          DYS 385a 10
                          DYS 385b 14
                          DYS 392 11

So, our match is 4/12.

Greetings,

K.

Comment

Hmm, my reply appeared above your post...

Anyway, I've sent an email to Genographic Project. Let's see what they say.

Comment

Originally posted by johanwiegman
                              Hi,

This is what I found on this website. I also found a perfect 12 marker
                              match with a person who originated from Hungary. A perfect match of course implies a common ancestor.

I The I, I1, and I1a lineages are nearly completely restricted to northwestern Europe. These would most likely have been common within Viking populations. One lineage of this group extends down into central Europe.

Looking at the distribution map, there is a surprising number of I group people in the UK an Ireland.

To me this is all fairly new, but extremely interesting.

Any other or additional view are very welcome.

Best regards,

Johan
                              Johan,

I am new to this website and don't know how to find data from others to see if any match mine. Is the marker data posted somewhere on this website. If so, please explain where to locate. Thanks.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X