Gedcom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gedcom

I tried to upload a gedcom file but it wanted me to click on the name of the person who was associated with the test it. But I had privatized living persons when I generated the report. Therefore, he didn't show up.

Should I not privatize my gedcom before uploading it? And can I rest assured that they will privatize it here?

Do I make the gedcom starting with my oldest known ancestor and making the gedcom of his descendants or do I start with my test person and make the file of his ancestors?

Thanks for the help. Carol

You have the option to have FTD hide personal information here so you shouldn't need to remove that info prior to uploading your file.

Comment

Originally posted by MasAndPas View Post
      Do I make the gedcom starting with my oldest known ancestor and making the gedcom of his descendants or do I start with my test person and make the file of his ancestors?
      FTDNA displays the ancestors of the person who was tested, so if you want to export only the relevant people to GEDCOM, definitely do so from an ancestor chart starting with the person who was tested.

As the answer above says, no need to privatize -- you'll have the option to privatize living family members when you upload to FTDNA. Just make sure you have appropriate birth and death dates for everyone in the file since that's what the system will look at for privatization. If someone is deceased, make sure you have a death date, even if approximate. If someone is living, make sure there's a birthdate, but no death date.

Elise

Comment

If I choose to allow matches to see my GEDCOM, will all living people be privatized? I'd like to help cousins find me so the GEDCOM I created includes not only my ancestors, but also their other descendants. When I open my tree it, of course, shows me names and birthdates of the living. Do my matches see all that information? I manage several kits and in the dim and distant past, I've successfully uploaded GEDCOMs that do appear to be privatizing the living. Not so with a current kit and tree addition and I can't remember how I accomplished the successful uploads. Thanks.

Janet

Comment

Working...
        X