brother concerned about privacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brother concerned about privacy

I am trying to convince my brother to take the Y-DNA test. He is concerned that FamilyTree DNA will know my brother took the test. Will his results identify us as brother and sister or close family? I don't have anyone else on this line to test. My father was an only child from his father.

Originally posted by veramiller View Post
    I am trying to convince my brother to take the Y-DNA test. He is concerned that FamilyTree DNA will know my brother took the test. Will his results identify us as brother and sister or close family? I don't have anyone else on this line to test. My father was an only child from his father.
    Unless you have him take the Family Finder test, then they would know it is your brother. Otherwise no. For all they know it could be a cousin, or an uncle, or even a friend. You can let your brother know that you do not plan on having his name on the kit.

Some options are tell him you will only write the family surname on the kit, or only put initials. I have even seen a female in my brother's yDNA matches. She has her name on the kit, her picture in place, and then wrote in the most distant paternal ancestor who is obviously male. If all else fails, beg, cry, and tell him you will have the kit marked private. My brother has quite a few private matches too. Well hopefully you don't have to cry or beg, but consider just in case!

Another thought too, isn't the Geno 2.0 pretty much private? Meaning it gives you no matching just the deep ancestry? If that is the case that is probably the best route to go to cover all possible SNPs. Good luck, I will keep my fingers crossed for you. I know how important it is.

Comment

Thanks for your advice. I'll see if I can get my brother to take advantage of the current sale.

Comment

Originally posted by veramiller View Post
        Thanks for your advice. I'll see if I can get my brother to take advantage of the current sale.
        Your welcome, good luck! And just in case, and maybe you already planned to, pay for the test. That should also make testing more appealing for him.

Comment

I used to be very concerned about privacy. I now have absolutely no fantasy of anything about our lives being private anymore. Whatever the government wants, it gets.
          Last edited by vinnie; 23 July 2013, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X