Any Idea's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Idea's

I am from New Zealand and have wondered all my life what nationality I am ..my mother had a one night stand 37 odd years ago and I am the result of this. my mother does not know anything about my father and has since died. My mothers family was from scotland, I am dark maybe nz moari or prehaps of polynesian descent. Can DNA testing help me to discover my nationality and how do I go about getting tested in new zealand or oversea's. This means a great deal to me and any information would be wonderful. Thanks

Originally posted by maree
    I am from New Zealand and have wondered all my life what nationality I am ..my mother had a one night stand 37 odd years ago and I am the result of this. my mother does not know anything about my father and has since died. My mothers family was from scotland, I am dark maybe nz moari or prehaps of polynesian descent. Can DNA testing help me to discover my nationality and how do I go about getting tested in new zealand or oversea's. This means a great deal to me and any information would be wonderful. Thanks
    (Assuming you are female), Unless you have a known biological brother who can test for the Y-DNA, (from what I understand) there's really not much else for females wondering about paternal ancestry. The only other thing is to get an autosomal test that gives you the percentages of geographic origins, ie, European, African, Native American or Asian. There is one drawback to this test. It confuses, some of the time, the Asian and Native American DNA, and may tell you that you are part native american when you are really part asian/polynesian and vise-versa. However, if you have some African ancestry, it will be able to tell you this with a high degree of certainty (if the percentage is greater than 5%) www.ancestrybydna.com does this type of test. I've taken it myself, and also had my grandmother take it. It was rather accurate for me, but for my grandmother, it confused the asian and native american dna, as it does with some people.
    Last edited by breakwater70; 19 October 2005, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X