Questions for speakers at the 2nd International Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for speakers at the 2nd International Conference

I will miss the conference this year, but I'm opening this thread as the next best thing to attending. I'm sure many people have a mental list of questions they'd like to see covered, in Q&A sessions if not during the speakers' presentations. If you post them here, maybe someone can act as a proxy and ask on our behalf. This will give the speakers a little bit of advance warning, too!

If your question is for a specific speaker (see program details at http://www.ftdna.com/conference_2005.asp), please include that in your message.

Originally posted by Ann Turner
    I will miss the conference this year, but I'm opening this thread as the next best thing to attending. I'm sure many people have a mental list of questions they'd like to see covered, in Q&A sessions if not during the speakers' presentations. If you post them here, maybe someone can act as a proxy and ask on our behalf. This will give the speakers a little bit of advance warning, too!

If your question is for a specific speaker (see program details at http://www.ftdna.com/conference_2005.asp), please include that in your message.
    Thanks Ann.. I am hoping that the labs or a lab will have available deep testing that will show more than R1b that my maternal male line has for Stephens. With genealogy we have searched for years for our 1761 ancestors parents and immigrant area in R1b. At present we are looking at an English possible connecting line and a Scots-Irish pedigree that takes us back to Scotland but with no real confident documentation. Family tradition says we are Sctots-Irish and that is all... no more detail. Genealogy research says our Surname comes from England a lot. DNA results show Stephens males at ysearch from England, Scotland, Wales, United Kingdom etc...
    So we are seeking DNA help at pointing us toward a more specific area in R1b. My Uncles FTDNA SNP says R1b as does strongly Whit's haplogroup predictor. Here is his 37 marker profile in FTDNA order of markers:

13 24 14 11 11 16 12 12 12 13 15 30 18 9 10 11 11 25 15 19 30 14 15 16 17

11 11 19 23 18 15 18 17 35 38 12 12 ysearch ID EGVHQ

Three other Stephens males in other 1800 era branches genealogically match closely to him at 23/25 and 34/37.
    We now have 6 related males wanting to find their immigrants early origin country and early origin ethnic group.
    So this is our specific case that the DNA world in the future may be able to assist us with the absolute genealogical brick wall with burned documets or no documents any further existing. Can the labs recommend a test or let us know when maybe one that really will help us know a good bit more will be maybe available? Right now I don't know if our halplotypes look like Irish R1b, Scottish R1b, S21 new group, R1b1c subclades etc....( at his point I can't look at specific DYS values and see that they are likely a particular flavor of R1b like the gurus on the rootseweb DNA list can maybe.)

Ed Martin [email protected]

Comment

Cdy

The CDYa/b markers seem to have an unusual "personality," with big jumps in marker values from time to time, yet it is quite stable in some surname projects.

1) Will there be a publication about this marker any time soon?

2) Do you have any general observations about it from your collective data, e.g. distribution of alleles?

3) There are two sets of genes labeled CDY shown on some Y chromosome maps (e.g. Jobling's "The Human Y Chromosome: An Evolutionary Marker Comes of Age"). Are you testing the one in palindrome region 1 (where DYS464 and DYS459 are located) or palindrome region 5?

4) Is recombination / gene conversion a plausible explanation for the big jumps?

Comment

Genographic Project -- for Spencer Wells

Are additional tests are being performed for the field research portion, beyond the tests used in the public participation portion?

Will results from the public participation portion have scientific utility, or is this more of an educational outreach program?

Comment

SNP testing lab errors

I don't have a question for a specific speaker but I'd be interested in reading what is the general consensus of the genetic-genealogical community about the recently commented SNP testing lab errors and how they could impact this field.

Comment

Working...
          X