The Ice Age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ice Age

Approximately 20,000 years ago, ice sheets, thousands of feet thick stretched from the North Pole to Europe covering much of Ireland (except for some southern areas). This created an Ice Age or glacial period in Ireland. A glacier is a river of ice, rocks and soil that is formed when snow is flattened by more snow forming grains of ice called névé. These are then pressed together forming sheets of ice. Glaciers are usually formed on high ground and then move downhill creating a valley in the landscape picking up rocks and soil as they move. This Ice Age was caused when the temperatures in the summer were not warm enough to melt the snow and ice that built up over the winter gaining in mass over the years. Canada, most of the United States and northern Europe were all covered in ice. Some parts of the world such as Greenland and Antarctica are still going through an Ice Age. The sea level around the world dropped so much that Ireland was joined to Britain and the rest of Europe when some of the sea between them disappeared exposing the seabed.

Ireland had very little if any animals or plants at that time. But around 15,000 years ago the ice gradually began to disappear, Ulster was the last area in Ireland to be covered in ice and once the ice began to melt animals crossed over from Britain across land bridges that had been left behind after the drop in sea level. A freshwater lake was formed between the ice sheets up in the north in Ulster and the land bridge down south. Many grasses and trees were the first bit of life to take hold and then Giant Deer and other animals arrived over the land bridge in the south. Humans also crossed this bridge into Ireland about 9,000 years ago.

Gradually the sea level rose due to the melting ice and the sea floor that had been exposed before was covered over again, as was the land bridge. The landscape was totally changed as the glaciers formed new mountains and lakes. The weight of the glacier over Ireland caused it to be squashed a little and pushed down but this has been rising again by about 2mm every year. Then, around 14,000 years ago, Ice in Ireland had eventually melted.

This is from www.gsi.ie

That's when the Ice Age Celts appeared.

Comment

Interesting

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Douglas W. Fisher-Kit#122883
      Paternal: R1b-U106+Z18+Z14+Z372+
      Maternal: V19

Comment

"British archaeology experts have discovered what they believe to be the world’s oldest ‘calendar’, created by hunter-gatherer societies and dating back to around 8,000 BC. The Mesolithic monument was originally excavated in Aberdeenshire, Scotland."
        http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/news/lat...g-of-time.aspx

My paternal line is from Aberdeenshire.

Which Haplogroups may have built this?

Comment

Originally posted by Jomid59 View Post
          "British archaeology experts have discovered what they believe to be the world’s oldest ‘calendar’, created by hunter-gatherer societies and dating back to around 8,000 BC. The Mesolithic monument was originally excavated in Aberdeenshire, Scotland."
          http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/news/lat...g-of-time.aspx

My paternal line is from Aberdeenshire.

Which Haplogroups may have built this?
          I think that I,R, and G male haplogroups and some U5,H and T females.

Comment

the Ice age is a disney movie not reality !

There was no ice age that is a theory created by those who refused to deal with a truth bigger than they wanted to deal with. The ice age was the theory created from with in their cognitive dissonance. it was their theories from their way too little minds and has nothing to do with reality and history.

Comment

Originally posted by purple flowers View Post
              There was no ice age that is a theory created by those who refused to deal with a truth bigger than they wanted to deal with. The ice age was the theory created from with in their cognitive dissonance. it was their theories from their way too little minds and has nothing to do with reality and history.

Believe what you want to believe.

The Ice Age most certainly was a reality. There are other things plaguing this world right now that are legitimate fairy tales, but taken as truth.

Comment

i live in northern England. I can say for certain that evidence of The Ice Age is all around and very obvious to find.

Comment

Originally posted by spruithean View Post
                  Believe what you want to believe.

The Ice Age most certainly was a reality. There are other things plaguing this world right now that are legitimate fairy tales, but taken as truth.
                  Amen to that.

Comment

Geology doesn't lie. Here in Washington State, there is an abundance of evidence for massive glaciations. Take a course in Geomorphology, or read a textbook for such a course. I still regret selling mine at the end of the course for a mere $25. That is one textbook I should've kept.

Comment

Originally posted by 1798 View Post
                      I think that I,R, and G male haplogroups and some U5,H and T females.
                      From the abstract of a study,

This study introduces a large-scale, detailed computer model of recent human history which suggests that the common ancestor of every one alive today very likely lived between 2,000 and 5,000 years ago. Furthermore, the model indicates that nearly everyone living a few thousand years prior to that time is either the ancestor of no one or of all living humans. [1]

[1] Rohde, Douglas LT. "On the common ancestors of all living humans." (2003).

The paper can be accessed from here: http://tedlab.mit.edu/~dr/Papers/Rohde-MRCA-two.pdf

I am yet to find the harmony between this scientific study and the ages of haplogroups which dates much earlier.

In a nutshell, anyone living earlier than 5000 years (or 3000 BC) is the ancestor for everyone alive today. And a new thousand years earlier, each person is an ancestor for everyone or no one living today. This means, it doesn't matter if s/he is European or Asian or African or Native American or Native Australian but all have a common ancestor between 2000 to 5000 years back and a few thousand years back (say 8000 BC), those people must be ancestors for everyone alive today - even me.

So, I can say my ancestors built it - it doesn't matter whether it is in Aberdeenshire, Scotland or Indus Valley or Mesopotamia.

Comment

http://cosmictusk.com/cosmic-blowdow...#comment-31669

Comment

Not sure what your point is, the ice sheets didn't extend that far south.

Comment

Originally posted by felix View Post
                            From the abstract of a study,

This study introduces a large-scale, detailed computer model of recent human history which suggests that the common ancestor of every one alive today very likely lived between 2,000 and 5,000 years ago. Furthermore, the model indicates that nearly everyone living a few thousand years prior to that time is either the ancestor of no one or of all living humans. [1]

[1] Rohde, Douglas LT. "On the common ancestors of all living humans." (2003).

The paper can be accessed from here: http://tedlab.mit.edu/~dr/Papers/Rohde-MRCA-two.pdf

I am yet to find the harmony between this scientific study and the ages of haplogroups which dates much earlier.

In a nutshell, anyone living earlier than 5000 years (or 3000 BC) is the ancestor for everyone alive today. And a new thousand years earlier, each person is an ancestor for everyone or no one living today. This means, it doesn't matter if s/he is European or Asian or African or Native American or Native Australian but all have a common ancestor between 2000 to 5000 years back and a few thousand years back (say 8000 BC), those people must be ancestors for everyone alive today - even me.

So, I can say my ancestors built it - it doesn't matter whether it is in Aberdeenshire, Scotland or Indus Valley or Mesopotamia.
                            It's a charming idea...doubtful...but charming

Comment

Originally posted by purple flowers View Post
                              So science wasn't a strong point at school?
                              Gravity is also a "theory" (ignoring the actual meaning of what a scientific theory is)...I don't see everything flying off into space...

Comment

Working...
                              X