Princess Diana and DNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by N21163 View Post
    I think there's a strong German influence over most of their ancestry. The further back you go there is more of a European melting-pot.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was a very small pot given how they used to stick to themselves.
    The Hapsburgs family tree is astonishing.
    http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/?p=2376

Comment

Originally posted by Naughtius View Post
      I wouldn't be surprised if it was a very small pot given how they used to stick to themselves.
      Frightening more like it!

Comment

Originally posted by andbro View Post
        Prince Philip was born in Greece to Dutch and Greek parents.
        Yes born in Greece, but the Greek royal family were descendants of mainly German and Dutch households. Prince Phillip has no ethnic Greek ancestry.

An interesting blog had placed the following ethnic breakdown on Prince William:
        http://racehist.blogspot.co.nz/2011/...ish-royal.html

Prince William of Wales:

35.3271484375 % English
        29.4189453125 % Royal (houses from what is now Germany)
        14.404296875 % Scottish
        5.383 30078125 % German
        3.74755859375 % Irish
        3.3203125 % French
        3.2958984375 % Anglo-Irish
        2.34375 % Hungarian
        0.78125 % Armenian
        0.5859375 % Dutch
        0.29296875 % Danish
        0.29296875 % Welsh
        0.15869190625 % Belgian
        0.146484375 % Swedish
        0.146484375 % Swiss
        0.1220703125 % Bohemian
        0.09765625 % Lithuanian
        0.09765625 % Russian
        0.03662109375 % Jersiaise

The accuracy is certainly questionable as I imagine these percentages would have been derived from ancestral charts..rounding to a set number of significant figures was obviously not an option.

Someone obviously had a lot of time on their hands!

For those who can be bothered with the full "analysis" of the royal genealogy: http://www.wargs.com/essays/ethnic.html

**Please note that Eliza Kewark is referred to as "Eliza Kevork" and her background is listed as Armenian**
        Last edited by N21163; 17 June 2013, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Well, look at Prince Alexei who was the ggrandson of Queen Victoria. He had hemophilia B and his mother and sister were carriers. Queen V's son died from it and I think 2 or 3 of her grandsons eventually died from it as well (later in life). Clearly they did not recognize the importance of genetics and heredity. Or they were in complete denial.

Originally posted by Naughtius View Post

Comment

**Please note that Eliza Kewark is referred to as "Eliza Kevork" and her background is listed as Armenian**
            The explanation given for her probable ancestry is that her father was an Armenian trader who was part of the significant Armenian community in Surat, India. That city was a major port in India at the time.

Given the rarity of R30b and its sole presence in India (13 cases) and Nepal (1 case) and no other known locations, it's thought that her mother was a native Indian. The testing company, which tested two other (non-royal) British matrilineal descendants of Eliza using autosomal testing of 700,000 SNPs (similar to Family Finder/Population Finder), found small segments of South Asian ancestry (0.3% and 0.8%) in them. That tends to confirm that Eliza had some Indian ancestry.

So, it seems to be a case that her father was Armenian and her mother Indian. Then Eliza had children by Theodore Forbes, a Scottish employee of the British East India Company in Surat. Their descendants include Princess Diana and her sons.
            Last edited by MMaddi; 17 June 2013, 05:20 PM.

Comment

The Hapsburg Jaw

When looking at portraits in a museum or book, you can pick out the Hapsburgs by their prognathous jaw, jutting and projecting, and huge.
              I wonder how many generations it takes to breed that out. Is Jay Leno
              a Hapsburg?

Comment

Just because a pedigree chart or a book claims this or that ancestor does not make it true. I've found that out in my own researching of my Medieval maternal line. That's one reason there are so many conflicting claims on Ancestry. I recall one official tree has the Duchess of Brittany as Joan Plantagenet's mom, probably to keep that tree as aristocratic as possible. And a book I ordered, that came directly from England (Royal Post), has another person in that role. They are both wrong, from what I can tell.

Comment

Source for English genealogy

An accepted source is: Britain's Royal Families, The Complete Genealogy, by Alison Weir. Could not get it in the US, so purchased while in London.

Comment

Originally posted by marietta View Post
                    An accepted source is: Britain's Royal Families, The Complete Genealogy, by Alison Weir. Could not get it in the US, so purchased while in London.
                    Yeah, that's the paperback book I bought thru Amazon.com recently. Small print, so I haven't really read much of it. I just zoomed in on King John and a couple of other spots. A genealogist that I saw on Google, referring to this same book, before then had already discounted that person as Joan's mom. It seems to have been based on hearsay only. Also, another spot in that book looks weak, although it didn't go very far downstream in that line (leading to Isabel Cornwall). Superficially, it looks like he mixed up two different men with the same name (Edmund). But I'll have to go back and check it again.

http://sharonkaypenman.com/blog/?p=88
                    Last edited by PDHOTLEN; 19 June 2013, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
                      Just because a pedigree chart or a book claims this or that ancestor does not make it true. I've found that out in my own researching of my Medieval maternal line. That's one reason there are so many conflicting claims on Ancestry. I recall one official tree has the Duchess of Brittany as Joan Plantagenet's mom, probably to keep that tree as aristocratic as possible. And a book I ordered, that came directly from England (Royal Post), has another person in that role. They are both wrong, from what I can tell.
                      A big problem is people wanting to be related to famous people. I've heard of someone having a family tree on ancestry.com that claims the Persian emperor Xerxes was born in New Foundland.

Comment

(Edit: oops this thread was moving fast; I was replying to a post on the first page, and by the time I got it written, we were here on the third page...)

George I was House of Hanover (Germany), which succeeded the Stewarts.

I got an email a few months ago from a researcher informing us that by autosomal DNA we were some cousins to a young German nobleman who is 225th in line to the British throne.

Our surname in that line is Schmelzer -- but the strange coincidence to me is that when I was in college I received a scholarship to study at a German university in Kassel, Hessen. Hanover is a few miles north in the same state. My host family took me there and showed me where all the Hessian mercenaries shipped out.

I would have never picked that spot to study; the committee chose it for me. Had no idea about its existence.

Even though we are like 90% British Isles, according to Dr. McDonald we have a more continental flavor than usual. I only found this out in the last couple years; but nevertheless in school I always studied French and German, visited France and lived in Germany, and have never visited England.
                        Last edited by Wilma Wildcat; 19 June 2013, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Princess Diane and her DNA

Which of the British monarchy was supposed to be related to Czar Nicholas of Russia?

Comment

Victoria. I wrote about it in a previous post.

Comment

Originally posted by mushypeas View Post
                              Which of the British monarchy was supposed to be related to Czar Nicholas of Russia?
                              Prince Phillips Mtdna was tested to compare against the mtdna of the remains of Czar Nicholas and his family as Prince Phillip is related in the female line to the wife of Czar Nicholas II of Russia.

Comment

I think there's a strong German influence over most of their ancestry. The further back you go there is more of a European melting-pot.
                                I believe the British royal family goes back to Norway. William the Conqueror was a Norman.

Comment

Working...
                                X