Princess Diana and DNA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Princess Diana and DNA

Hi guys don't know if any of you saw this yet. I thought some of you might find it interesting. http://gma.yahoo.com/princess-dianas...opstories.html

I wished they said which haplogroup though.

I gather it's R30b.

Comment

Isn't Haplogroup R ancestral to U? I see on the PhyloTree R chart that it keeps on going down to U. R30b is just above that junction.

Comment

Such news may encourage more Brits to test, although likely through BritainsDNA. Don't know what the potential is for data sharing with BritainsDNA.

http://www.isogg.org/wiki/BritainsDNA

Comment

Originally posted by gtc View Post
          I gather it's R30b.
          Thanks much!

Comment

BritainsDNA have released their findings.
            As gtc stated, the Haplogroup is said to be R30b

Link removed
            Last edited by Darren; 16 June 2013, 02:35 PM. Reason: Please no links to outside company websites

Comment

Originally posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
              Isn't Haplogroup R ancestral to U? I see on the PhyloTree R chart that it keeps on going down to U. R30b is just above that junction.
              Haplogroup R is also ancestral to H, V, J, T, F, B, P and K

Comment

Originally posted by N21163 View Post
                Haplogroup R is also ancestral to H, V, J, T, F, B, P and K
                Yeah, it looks like they all "peel off" from R, going down the chart. The British monarchy looks to be foreign in general. The Windsors came from Germany, didn't they? And the Palntagenets came from France. Maybe support for the expensive monarchy will drop, as time goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by PDHOTLEN View Post
                  Yeah, it looks like they all "peel off" from R, going down the chart. The British monarchy looks to be foreign in general. The Windsors came from Germany, didn't they? And the Palntagenets came from France. Maybe support for the expensive monarchy will drop, as time goes on.
                  I think there's a strong German influence over most of their ancestry. The further back you go there is more of a European melting-pot.

Comment

I may be distantly related to the Windsors. They were originally Wittens, or something like that in Germany; somehow connected to all those Saxon duchies and principalities that were Germany before there was a Germany. My German line on my father's side (his mother) comes from that bunch, and seems to have been in some sort of upper class before the Prussians took over, at which point they emigrated to the USA. The mother died before her time, and the father and kids went to the USA in the 1800s. I haven't tried to follow that in quite a while.

Comment

Dna does not lie

It is interesting they tested William's dna, rather than Harry's...........
                      Maybe they have a reason for not testing Harry's........?

Comment

Originally posted by marietta View Post
                        According to the description of the testing that was done by Britain'sDNA, they didn't test either William or Harry. Their and their mother's haplogroup was determined based on their genealogical descent from Eliza Kewark. It was DNA testing of two other matrilineal descendants of Eliza Kewark that established the haplogroup and her Indian ancestry.

Here is a quote from the testing company's website - at link removed

"Two living direct descendants of Eliza Kewark have been found and by reading the sequence of their mtDNA, our geneticists discovered not only that it matched but that it also belonged to a haplogroup called R30b. Further research confirmed unequivocally that this is Eliza Kewark’s haplogroup. A comparison run through databases of the DNA of more than 65,000 individuals from around the world showed that R30b is very rare and very Indian. Only 14 examples have been reported and 13 of these were Indian, with one in Nepal. To add to this research, it is important to note that the other related branches of R30b, that is R30a and R30, are also entirely South Asian in origin. This confirms beyond doubt that the mtDNA of Eliza Kewark was of Indian heritage.... For yet more corroboration, scientists used an independent type of genetic evidence. By reading over 700,000 markers scattered across the genome of Princess Diana’s matrilineal cousins, and comparing findings to a global database of samples, it is possible to estimate the proportions of continental-level ancestry for an individual. For example, someone with a father from Ireland and a mother from Nigeria would be 50% sub-Saharan African and 50% European, or someone with three English grandparents and one from China would be approximately 20% to 30% East Asian. The proportions inherited from ancestors who lived longer ago are lower and also variable. Eliza Kewark’s two descendants are estimated to be about 0.3% and 0.8% South Asian, with three blocks of South Asian DNA in each of their genomes. All of the rest is of European origin."
                        Last edited by Darren; 17 June 2013, 09:00 PM. Reason: Please no links to outside company websites

Comment

Originally posted by marietta View Post
                          As reported above, neither Harry nor William was tested this time.

Although Harry's paternity is an ongoing matter of speculation for some, I don't think there's any doubt that Diana was his mother, so his mtDNA ought not to be in doubt either.

Comment

I know prince Charles has vlad Dracula
                            As an ancestor , the real Vlad the impaler was a prince
                            From I think Romania so Eastern Europe DNA
                            The name Windsor was taken during the first
                            World war against Germany so the British
                            Public didn't turn on them for having a German
                            Surname sax coberg gother, the name Windsor
                            was taken from the castle.

DNA wise the royals should have a good mix of all of Europe
                            From Scandinavia Prussia welsh Scottish French Dutch
                            Spanish to name a few without doubt the queen and Phillip would
                            be mostly German the queen and phillip relate over 14 times
                            I'd say the Asia gen will be a welcome brake in the family!
                            Great how it shows up and the ancestor was found.

Comment

Prince Philip was born in Greece to Dutch and Greek parents.

Comment

Working...
                              X